General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

DirtyZero

thinking about what my dad said.

I was talking to my Dad today about various life things. Work, lifestyle etc… One thing that never occurred to me before was that his advice almost never comes with a rationale behind it. To clarify he does not have reasons for doing things a certain way he just does them that way.

I find this noteable because I am not this way at all, I have a reason for doing everything I do, even the dumb things. It made me think though. My dad is a fairly successful guy with lots of life experience, maybe his way of going through life might at very least be easier ? if not Superior.

For example, one of his favorite things to say when asked why he does something that is obviously unpleasant ” is because I have to”. For years I have found this sentiment very annoying, obviously there is nothing one has to do ever( even staying alive is optional) Today however, I asked and he did qualify it by saying that usually the things he “has to do” no one else can get done for him at a price, monetarily or not that he can afford.

I think the thing to take away is that at very least I guess there is some cognitive cost that my dad is not incurring by not over thinking things? The question then becomes what are some things that are worth believing you “have to do”? in hopes of making life a little easier.

Any ideas?

http://netchosis.wordpress.com/2014/...t-my-dad-said/

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

punisher

I read your post and went to ask my dad about the reasons behind his decisions. I then remembered he died, and that pretty much nixxed that idea. As an afterthought, I figured I would ask my mom about it, then I remembered she died a couple months ago.

I am in a conundrum.

g|aSsJaw
NEW YORK GIANTS SUPERBOWL CHAMPS, ELI MANNING SUPERBOWL 42 MVP

No one cares about your stupid dad or your stupid blog post about him

"This crosses the line." - Tex Arcana

"a war of attrition it'll be then, i'll tell you this much i have much more longevity and time for this game than you do" - Redrum

danny10

good post

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

I like talking to my dad in the time he has left before he forgets who I am...

#that scene from captain america: winter soldier...

pyramid

#just lame ass dumbshit who lives at home things...

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

baba asked me if I thought her little redbum would ever get his shit together

I ignored her and just kept power thrusting

pyramid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post
baba asked me if I thought her little redbum would ever get his shit together

your time will come...

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
your time will come...

pyramid

when that time comes, make sure your butthole is tight.

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Fundumental difference between the working class parents and the upper class, apparently. The latter end up with self-actualized children who learn to think on their own, using the processes learned from their parents. The former, working class parents, are traditionally more authority-minded, far less likely to offer rationalle beyond "because I said so" or "because I have XX years on this planet" So I'm guessing your dad was a blue collar kind of guy?

The difference is if you just tell the child not to do something, they can't apply that logic anywhere else. If you tell them WHY, then they can apply that logic elsewhere, when you are not present. There's a lot more to it but i don't feel like typing My dad, who passed away when i was 9 (taught physics at a U) was the educator, while my step-dad in the US was more of the "because I said so, don't make me hit you" kind of person. He didn't even finish HS afaik, and was a general contractor for like 35 years.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post
Fundumental difference between the working class parents and the upper class, apparently. The latter end up with self-actualized children who learn to think on their own, using the processes learned from their parents. The former, working class parents, are traditionally more authority-minded, far less likely to offer rationalle beyond "because I said so" or "because I have XX years on this planet" So I'm guessing your dad was a blue collar kind of guy?

The difference is if you just tell the child not to do something, they can't apply that logic anywhere else. If you tell them WHY, then they can apply that logic elsewhere, when you are not present. There's a lot more to it but i don't feel like typing My dad, who passed away when i was 9 (taught physics at a U) was the educator, while my step-dad in the US was more of the "because I said so, don't make me hit you" kind of person. He didn't even finish HS afaik, and was a general contractor for like 35 years.

Triple B

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyZero View Post
My dad is a fairly successful guy with lots of life experience, maybe his way of going through life might at very least be easier ? if not Superior.

maybe not

nawaz777

nice

OK since nobody uses the paid points system around here, how about we make a thread called the "Post number XXXX gets 1 free own" thread, whereas an own can be changing a users custom title, name, or avatar for 1 week.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post