General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

RedEyes
Boner Provider

popcorn connoisseurs v. whirleypop - reccomend oils and popcorn

We got a whirley pop as a wedding gift:

and have been using the shit out of it. we make buckets of it about every other day.

this

is the flavor/oil we've been using.

does anyone have any favorite oils they use on their popcorn? bonus for butter flavoring and being able to buy it in the bulk

and the other thing we've noticed is that the kind of popcorn you use makes a big difference in the quality. generic popcorn is tougher, heavier, and leaves more unpopped kernels.

so for now, we've been going with what the store near us has:

but we're wondering if anyone has an online source where they buy theater popcorn in the bulk or something?

We will make contact with this frequency every twelve hours. Prepare sitrep for command authority. Have hope. We're coming for you.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Forever Domon

hmm, why is that better than an air-popper?

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post
hmm, why is that better than an air-popper?

I've been doing the stovetop version of this for years. The oil makes for much more robust popcorn, better texture and way better flavor than airpopped. Never tried any flavored oil though.

Forever Domon

hmm, i always thought microwave stuff was horrible, but airpopped is about as pure and clean as you can get (minus the oil i guess, that must be the difference).

I can see that now actually. Oil coats each kernel, and when it pops the oil is kind of built in flavor for each poofy little piece.

RedEyes
Boner Provider

for me, it's like the difference betweena steak or burger done on cast iron versus over a grate/grill. one seals in the flavor and one is like cooking with a blow dryer.

Popcorn has been a big thing in my family. I've had an air popper, my dad used to do stove top in an iron pot, and his dad did both... the whirley pop seems to be the best of all of them. The old school stove top isn't bad if you can keep the popcorn moving and not burn it/get everything done evenly, but I don't think I could ever get the trick right if I tried it. the whirley pop is super easy on that score. I preheat the whole thing on medium (this is after it is seasoned), put a cap of cheap veg oil or something in there, and 1/3 cup of corn. when the first one pops, hold the handle in your off hand and use your nondominant hand to turn the twister. keeps everything evenly heated and doesn't burn. the 1/3 cup is perfect to pop completely and fill the whole thing full without leaving any unpopped or being overfull and burning. when I make it for my better half, that's more than enough for her, but I'm a whore and I do at least two pots sometimes three for myself. I dump them in this bucket we bought frozen fruit frappe in for our open house, throw the flavored oil over it as I dump it in, throw salt up ons, and put the lid on it and shake it up. then I munch on it for hours.

just the past couple days, been experimenting with kettle corn, which the better half loves. now I know it's not a legitimate move, so I'm open to input on this score, but the ghetto way I did it, she had this kettle flavor seasoning so I put the corn in a bag, sprayed it with butter, dumped the kettle seasoning in it, closed it like a goldfish from the store and shook it up. seemed to work ok... she likes it anyway.

We will make contact with this frequency every twelve hours. Prepare sitrep for command authority. Have hope. We're coming for you.

RedEyes
Boner Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post
hmm, i always thought microwave stuff was horrible, but airpopped is about as pure and clean as you can get (minus the oil i guess, that must be the difference).

I can see that now actually. Oil coats each kernel, and when it pops the oil is kind of built in flavor for each poofy little piece.

this is probably it. I'm sure the air popper is healthier, no doubt. but it is airer and dryer too, as you're suggesting.

matt01

used to work at a movie theater. our popcorn came from a theater supply company, but it was just a big 40 lb bag of orville reddenbacher.

RedEyes
Boner Provider

I thought there might be a theater supply specific generic popcorn that just has that magic "it". Wouldn't have guessed it was orville reddenbacher. The stores in my area only have the quart or so sized jugs of it. I suppose shipping for ordering any larger size off the web would probably negate any benefit of buying in bulk?

matt01

if you're looking for the magic "it", movie theater popcorn is made with some kind of butter/oil that needs to be heated before it will flow. then you add the salt. after it's popped, it actually goes into storage until it's needed where it's warmed up again in a crisper, which is basically just a heated metal bin. i think this is really where the magic happens, because freshly popped stuff is still a little chewy. and the "butter" you get in a movie theater is just butter flavored oil. disgusting stuff.

jaegertech

Kettle corn is awesome stuff.

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

My favorite oil blend is 1 Tbl Sp of olive oil, peanut oil and veggie oil. Mix and heat at high - put three kernels in and wait until they pop. Add 1 cup popcorn, cover with a lid and let sit for 30 seconds until kernels start popping... then you shake vigorously and let it sit on the heating element for a bit and repeat. It's a fine process of getting all the kernels popped without burning anything
Rang3find3r: "I am VERY proud of my victory over touareg, because shit, what the fuck else do I have to be proud of?"

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWhoKnows View Post
My favorite oil blend is 1 Tbl Sp of olive oil, peanut oil and veggie oil. Mix and heat at high - put three kernels in and wait until they pop. Add 1 cup popcorn, cover with a lid and let sit for 30 seconds until kernels start popping... then you shake vigorously and let it sit on the heating element for a bit and repeat. It's a fine process of getting all the kernels popped without burning anything

I just slide the pot around over the burner really fast once they start popping, minimizes hot spots. Pull it once the popping slows down. I generally only get a couple unpopped kernels if I'm using good corn and never burn anything.

Learn from my dad

crumbaker

movie theaters use highly salted coconut oil, My personal favorite is just whipped real butter (not margarine). Experiment with seasonings yourself. I actually like powdered cheese on mine with the butter.

Gandalf

next time you cook bacon save the fat! definitely makes awesome popcorn!

RedEyes
Boner Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaegertech View Post
Kettle corn is awesome stuff.

we've been making this recipe almost every night. everyone loves it.