don't think you've ever seen an english textbook in your life either

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Ashtaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by naigres View Post
oh cool you can lean to the left and right

i dont think i've ever seen taht done in any gaem before

if you're being serious...

It was in Rainbow Six, go go worm dance.

Ballz2TheWallz
pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arimanius View Post
I've seen some shots that where it looked better and then some where it looked worse. The main difference I noticed was the CGI had a ton more debris than the game footage.

edit* Stolen from another site.
It looks amazing, but the differences would show themselves if you had full res side by sides.

Hopefully the game will play amazing, I'll buy a PS3 if the controls feel good and the game is good.

sir tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballz2TheWallz View Post
It looks amazing, but the differences would show themselves if you had full res side by sides.

Hopefully the game will play amazing, I'll buy a PS3 if the controls feel good and the game is good.
this is what i'm hoping as well. so far i'm loving the gameplay elements with what we know. i have a love/hate relationship with gears cover system. on one hand, it's absolutely fantastic and has in some ways pioneered the shooter genre. on the other hand, i hated that fact that you could pan and scan over your cover, without exposing yourself. it felt cheap. i think gears would have been better if it had a more "metal gear solid" type covering system, in which you can't really see what's around the corner until you peek your head out a little bit and expose yourself, yet retains the third person camera.

i think killzone 2 has the potential to take the best things from gears and FPS, mix them together, and set a new standard in FPS with cover.

UID=growler

Quote:
Originally Posted by naigres View Post
oh cool you can lean to the left and right

i dont think i've ever seen taht done in any gaem before

while it isn't exactly revolutionary, it may do it better than any game before it (won't know until I play it for sure)

but it is mixing the R6:Vegas style hold button to take cover, and first person view. Most games with lean have a lean button that just makes you lean a set distance to the left or right. With the control stick you can lean a little or a lot, and with the cover button you don't have to worry about accidentally moving away from cover.

Of course MGS2-3 and pretty good leaning in first person as well. Using the pressure sensitive shoulder buttons you could go left right up down to varying degrees.

teh scud

raven shield has an analog lean/crouch already. but that doesn't involve cover at all.

killzone2 isn't leaning. killzone2 is using a cover system. you can see it in action in the full demonstration. if you're near something, you hold L2. you can then peak around or above the object. you can even blind fire.

i don't think any FPS has attempted a first person cover system like killzone2.

onewheeldoin200
Your girlfriend likes my crotch rocket better

Game looks amazing, especially the character animations. Everything looks really life-like. Is this coming out for the PC as well?

God I hate watching people play shooters on a console....it's so slow and clumsy

Passion > Precision

arimanius

PS3 only.

Chomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh scud View Post
raven shield has an analog lean/crouch already. but that doesn't involve cover at all.

killzone2 isn't leaning. killzone2 is using a cover system. you can see it in action in the full demonstration. if you're near something, you hold L2. you can then peak around or above the object. you can even blind fire.

i don't think any FPS has attempted a first person cover system like killzone2.

meh... it's a ripoff of Gears of War though, although I'm glad to see that more games are incorporating it.

I must admit that this game looks pretty fantastic though. Tons of action.. haven't seen so much since Call of Duty 1/2. Looks leagues better than Resistance.

sir tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheeldoin200 View Post
Game looks amazing, especially the character animations. Everything looks really life-like. Is this coming out for the PC as well?

God I hate watching people play shooters on a console....it's so slow and clumsy

i really hope sony has KB/M support for this game. but if not, there's always FragFX (comes out tomorrow!)

teh scud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
meh... it's a ripoff of Gears of War though, although I'm glad to see that more games are incorporating it.

I must admit that this game looks pretty fantastic though. Tons of action.. haven't seen so much since Call of Duty 1/2. Looks leagues better than Resistance.

gears of war uses a third person cover system just like killswitch did before it. rianbow six vegas is first person, but when you go into cover mode, it switches to third person -- wtf?

killzone 2 seems to be the first game to do this in first person, which in my opinion is ideal.

a problem i have with all these third person cover systems is that you can hide yourself and then manipulate the camera to survey the battlefield. when you peak around the corner in a game like gears of war, you already know what's around the corner. and in games like gears of war, when you "blind fire" you watch your character point the gun over his head and you watch what you're hitting... which isn't really blind firing at all.

first person cover like in killzone2 retains the logic behind having a cover system in the first place. when you prop yourself up against a wall IRL, you can't see around/over the wall -- if you want to see around/over the wall, you need to peak around/over the wall. you can't set your aim on something and press a button to watch your character lean over so you can shoot where you were already aiming. you peak around a corner and you actually peak around the corner to see what's there. first person cover in killzone also gives significance to blind firing because you're literally firing without looking where you're shooting... hence it being "blind."

growler
Since I continuously bitch when The Queen posts, she is my new av.

Quote:
first person cover like in killzone2 retains the logic behind having a cover system in the first place. when you prop yourself up against a wall IRL, you can't see around/over the wall -- if you want to see around/over the wall, you need to peak around/over the wall. you can't set your aim on something and press a button to watch your character lean over so you can shoot where you were already aiming. you peak around a corner and you actually peak around the corner to see what's there. first person cover in killzone also gives significance to blind firing because you're literally firing without looking where you're shooting... hence it being "blind."

qft

Chomp

Quote:

a problem i have with all these third person cover systems is that you can hide yourself and then manipulate the camera to survey the battlefield. when you peak around the corner in a game like gears of war, you already know what's around the corner. and in games like gears of war, when you "blind fire" you watch your character point the gun over his head and you watch what you're hitting... which isn't really blind firing at all.

I think it's this way for a couple reasons. (1) Third person games are just that - viewed from the point of an outside person. Thus, if the game is third person, the player should be able to see more than just the first person. (2) The fact that they're video games means that they do have to cater to the player as well. Sometimes there is a fine line between ultra-realism and ultra-frustration. '

I think the cover system in Gears of War (haven't played R6) works excellently for that type of game. You get your shots in and recover if needed; it's not really about being hidden or not being able to see the player.

Since K2 is a first person game, I think the developer's take on the cover system will be interesting. Surely it will be suspenseful to blind fire or hide without the other player seeing you behind the wall or corner.

As much as I tell myself PS3 sucks and I'll never buy one, I hope this game lives up to the hype. I'm the kinda person who'll buy a console for one game, so I hope this is it.

UID=growler

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheeldoin200 View Post
Everything looks really life-like. Is this coming out for the PC as well?

The game is made by Sony.

Raw Kuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UID=30151 View Post
The game is made by Sony.

Sony makes laptops and desktops too, so it might come out for the PC...

I can dream, can't I