General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

WickedAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosPhoenix View Post

You embarass us all.

Anyone who goes by Amazon sales should be taken outside and shot in the forehead.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

teh scud

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedAngel View Post
You embarass us all.

Anyone who goes by Amazon sales should be taken outside and shot in the forehead.

no, he's awesome. because i clicked the link again to see where ps3 was, and the FRAGFX WAS THERE!!! just came out. woooooooo.

ordered

WickedAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh scud View Post
no, he's awesome. because i clicked the link again to see where ps3 was, and the FRAGFX WAS THERE!!! just came out. woooooooo.

ordered

That is the only redeeming quality of that link. I'm all for reporting legitimate sales figures (NPD, Media Create, etc. etc.)...but Amazon trends? *barf*

teh scud

i don't think he was positioning amazon hourly updated trends above NPD.

WickedAngel

...still...it's embarassing. That's the kind of thing that might fool someone on GAF or GameFaqs...or maybe neo_cloud.

Disarm

it's far less embarrassing than some kid working at target and going by PS3 sales just by how many his store is selling. or the people who go into best buy and base PS3 sales on how many are on the shelves. i don't remember you saying those situations were embarrassing.

WickedAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disarm View Post
it's far less embarrassing than some kid working at target and going by PS3 sales just by how many his store is selling. or the people who go into best buy and base PS3 sales on how many are on the shelves. i don't remember you saying those situations were embarrassing.

Because they aren't. Every situation you mentioned there deals with actual numbers in comparison to others. The sales numbers of Amazon aren't posted. A 2600%!!!!! increase doesn't mean shit without a previous number to reference it against. The Elite 360 had an equally ridiculous percentage increase and yes, I criticized the dumbfucks for mentioning that too.

Go ahead and fade back into obscurity like a good little boy.

teh scud

comparing the amazon % is similar to comparing the change% in NPD, just with a different sample and updated hourly instead of monthly. a single retail store is an even smaller sample than amazon, and a similar timeframe as the amazon figure.

ChaosPhoenix

Quote:
You embarass us all.

Haha. Calm down. I was just laughing that Amazon sales are up so much with the price drop. I don't expect that to stay that way for more than a day or so or for this to be some huge indicator of things to come - I just thought it was good to see the PS3 on the top of the Amazon list for once.

WickedAngel

Quote:
comparing the amazon % is similar to comparing the change% in NPD, just with a different sample and updated hourly instead of monthly. a single retail store is an even smaller sample than amazon, and a similar timeframe as the amazon figure.

Please tell me you're not trying to argue as if these percentages are relevant to...well...anything.

teh scud

Quote:
Please tell me you're not trying to argue as if these percentages are relevant to...well...anything.

i'm saying amazon figures aren't very different than looking at a single retail store -- the figures are just presented in a different way. i assume amazon sells more product than a single bestbuy.

and of course, NPD is a larger sample, and more significant. but personally i think NPD is overrated. leaving out key retailers is potentially leaving out key demographics. people act like NPD is a bible.

edit: you said amazon % is worthless because we don't know actual figures. but does it really matter what actual figures are? if we can assume amazon sells more than mr. greg's target, we can assume that amazon's % is a more significant figure than mr. greg's %. both of these don't really matter and he was just posting amazon figures as amazon figures.

Last edited by teh scud; 07-09-2007 at 11:30 PM..

WickedAngel

It's not the Bible but it's the best we have.

Citing Amazon as anything other than a punchline is an affront to intelligence everywhere. Figuring market fluctuations in samples of 24 hours is laughable by any standard.

The Xbox 360 Elite saw a 2400% gain after the warranty announcement. The FragFX is up 34,000% () since yesterday (Since it just launched). The numbers are meaningless.

teh scud

the problem is you're defending people who walk into a store, look at the shelves, and claim a product isn't selling. i see ps2's on the shelves and they're still selling better than 360. i-pods are still on the shelves too, but they certainly don't have a problem selling.

nobody is claiming the amazon figures are more than amazon figures.

WickedAngel

Quote:
the problem is you're defending people who walk into a store, look at the shelves, and claim a product isn't selling. i see ps2's on the shelves and they're still selling better than 360. i-pods are still on the shelves too, but they certainly don't have a problem selling.

nobody is claiming the amazon figures are important

The only time I would've ever taken anecdotal evidence like that seriously is in the face of a monumentally ridiculous statement (Like the anecdotal evidence of fully-stocked shelves of PS3s that came about when Jack Tretton offered to buy unsold PS3s for $1200). Anecdotal evidence, per individual, isn't something to be taken seriously. Hundreds/thousands of reports of a certain type at a certain time do have some merit. Some...not much.

You can't say you wouldn't be acting the same way if noid had been in here trumpeting that 2400% figure that I cited earlier.

hopesfall
For a 13.8k, I sure am a fucking retard. Breaking and entering is my life. PS: FUCK YOU GENMAY!

amazon is second only to nytimes for book sales statistics. amazon video-game-related statistics are pretty retarded though, as evidenced by recent snes-sells-more-than-ps3 memories. gaming sales happen on such a small relative number that wild fluctuations in sales statistics really aren't indicative of any larger trend.

Last edited by hopesfall; 07-09-2007 at 11:55 PM..