General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

sir tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by arimanius View Post
I meant Sony pushing the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player for movies, but since you brought up games. Since more and more games have install options is Blu-Ray really going to be needed in the future? Right now I'd have to say no. PCs have been fine for years installing to a HD. I don't see it being any different for the PS3.
installing one 50 GB game at a time (taking quite awhile i'm sure) onto a 60GB hdd doesn't sound like alot of fun to me. i hope games go the way of ninja gaiden sigma: using the disc and having an install option to reduce loadtimes dramatically (but not taking up a ton of space). i really, really, really, really don't want to install a 50GB game, fuck that.

developers will use everything. maybe not right away, but they will in time; just like every console in existance. it's console development, not pc development. they have to squeeze out every little bit of juice they can for the next 5 - 6 years.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Scrivener
Scrivener never gets any love :(

Quote:
Meh, Sony needed to lower the price at least $200 for it to make an impact. While this may get a few people that were sitting on the fence to buy one it won't make a big enough difference in the long run.

The bundle seems ok. I would of had the bundle for at least $500 and a different game than Motorstorm. It's a gorgeous game but I probably would of done Resistance. Actually I would of done Ninja Gaiden if it didn't just get released.

Ninja Gaiden is
A) Mature and
B) Not a Sony game.

Which disqualifies it twice over from being included in any kind of bundle. Motorstorm is the most approachable and recognizable first party title that is not rated M, so it's basically the only choice.

As for a $200 price drop, that's been discussed previously. Nothing ever gets those kinds of price cuts - even if the system has become $250 cheaper to manufacture. Investors would panic, media would report it as a clearance, consumer confidence would drop even if sales had a temporary minor boost (the effects of which would be badly damaged by press reports and dropping stock prices). It's stock market suicide - and it won't ever happen, period.

As for the new bundle... meh. I already put a 250GB HDD in my PS3, so I'm good for a long time. Took all of 5 minutes to swap out the old one, and I got the drive for just over $50 after rebates at Frys. Hell, a monkey could do it - and it doesn't void your warranty or anything either (the hard drive is intentionally made to be easily replaced).

arimanius

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir tex View Post
installing one 50 GB game at a time (taking quite awhile i'm sure) onto a 60GB hdd doesn't sound like alot of fun to me. i hope games go the way of ninja gaiden sigma: using the disc and having an install option to reduce loadtimes dramatically (but not taking up a ton of space). i really, really, really, really don't want to install a 50GB game, fuck that.

developers will use everything. maybe not right away, but they will in time; just like every console in existance. it's console development, not pc development. they have to squeeze out every little bit of juice they can for the next 5 - 6 years.

I don't see them ever having a full install type game where you no longer need the disc. That opens it up for piracy way to easy. I see most games doing a Ninja Gaiden type of install. I just don't see Blu-Ray playing any factor. What I see playing a bigger role and a huge advantage Sony has over MS is the HDD comes standard. Biggest fuck up MS has made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrivener View Post
Ninja Gaiden is
A) Mature and
B) Not a Sony game.

Which disqualifies it twice over from being included in any kind of bundle. Motorstorm is the most approachable and recognizable first party title that is not rated M, so it's basically the only choice.

As for a $200 price drop, that's been discussed previously. Nothing ever gets those kinds of price cuts - even if the system has become $250 cheaper to manufacture. Investors would panic, media would report it as a clearance, consumer confidence would drop even if sales had a temporary minor boost (the effects of which would be badly damaged by press reports and dropping stock prices). It's stock market suicide - and it won't ever happen, period.

As for the new bundle... meh. I already put a 250GB HDD in my PS3, so I'm good for a long time. Took all of 5 minutes to swap out the old one, and I got the drive for just over $50 after rebates at Frys. Hell, a monkey could do it - and it doesn't void your warranty or anything either (the hard drive is intentionally made to be easily replaced).

The problem with Motorstorm is it isn't really a must have game IMO. It's a good game for racing fans but that's about it. Like you said you can buy a HDD cheap now a days and add it yourself making this bundle even more useless.

I know $200 price drop would be huge, but I really think that's the sweet spot for Sony. $100 isn't a big enough difference to get people that are on the fence to buy one. Talking to a couple of my friends that are on the fence and reading various geek websites that seems to be the impression. $100 is nice, but not enough for them to take the plunge.

The Internet
Invented by Bob Dole. Get of Bob Dole's internet. Bob Dole Comands it. Bob Dole

No price drop for the UK apparently.
5bb111fc1aa058e1283875b86b1a571c

Mr. Greg
I'm obsessed with DHermit

Quote:
As for a $200 price drop, that's been discussed previously. Nothing ever gets those kinds of price cuts - even if the system has become $250 cheaper to manufacture...It's stock market suicide - and it won't ever happen, period.

Oh really.

Sure, the $200 price drop didn't help any, but it still happened in the past.

Ironically I got it from an article that's about the PS3 too..

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=...UserId=5844801

Louis Potgieter (1951-1996) NEVER FORGET

BigFuzzyArchon

so $499 for 60gb and $599 for 80gb?

id rather have a $299 20gb but it obviously doesn't work that way

I've had ps3 since launch day tho

Scrivener
Scrivener never gets any love :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Greg View Post
Oh really.

Sure, the $200 price drop didn't help any, but it still happened in the past.

Ironically I got it from an article that's about the PS3 too..

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=...UserId=5844801

Case in point.

In 1990 $699 was a fuck-ton of money... comparatively, it would be like pricing the PS3 at $999.99 for todays market (which is also 100x larger than it was in 1990). There's a reason it went nowhere, and a $200 price cut only vindicated the fact.

Last edited by Scrivener; 07-09-2007 at 11:33 AM..

Mr. Greg

Quote:
Case in point.

In 1990 $699 was a fuck-ton of money... comparatively, it would be like pricing the PS3 at $999.99 for todays market (which is also 100x larger than it was in 1990). There's a reason it went nowhere, and a $200 price cut only vindicated the fact.

I just had to call you out there, that's all.

borsdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuzzyArchon View Post
id rather have a $299 20gb but it obviously doesn't work that way
heh, i'd buy one without even thinking about it

luke_skywalker
I LOVE NINTENDO AND SCT OWNS ME IN Q3. FUCK.

Hmm still doesn't change the fact it doesn't have many games to play. I think there will be an early surge of people buying it cause they are excited about the reduced price. Then I think the sales will suffer again.

sir tex

Quote:
I don't see them ever having a full install type game where you no longer need the disc. That opens it up for piracy way to easy. I see most games doing a Ninja Gaiden type of install. I just don't see Blu-Ray playing any factor. What I see playing a bigger role and a huge advantage Sony has over MS is the HDD comes standard. Biggest fuck up MS has made.

The problem with Motorstorm is it isn't really a must have game IMO. It's a good game for racing fans but that's about it. Like you said you can buy a HDD cheap now a days and add it yourself making this bundle even more useless.

I know $200 price drop would be huge, but I really think that's the sweet spot for Sony. $100 isn't a big enough difference to get people that are on the fence to buy one. Talking to a couple of my friends that are on the fence and reading various geek websites that seems to be the impression. $100 is nice, but not enough for them to take the plunge.

motorstorm would be a much better game with split-screen 2-player racing; but it's still a fantastic game though. it's probably the best arcade racer i've ever played; and i hate arcade racers (except star wars pod racing, god bless your soul). it's a must buy for any fan of the racing genre, arcade or not. that said, the fall lineup needs to get here fucking quick. i'm not out of games to play like i was when i first bought the system though. sigma really is the first AAA must have title since resistance (and if you're like me: motorstorm). just needs more game diversity, like a good RPG or something.

i'll admit that oblivion kept me busy for a long time, because my PC can't run the game and i didn't bother with it on the 360 when i had one

anyway, a $200 price drop is a bit severe right now. that's enough of a drop to appear desperate and piss off the people that paid $600 for it half a year ago up til now. not good to do. $150 would have been borderline, probably the sweet spot i'd say. but what do i know, i am not a marketing major and i'm not going to pretend to be.

Mr. Greg

Quote:
it's probably the best arcade racer i've ever played; and i hate arcade racers (except star wars pod racing, god bless your soul).

I was actually thinking about that game yesterday. I loved it so much

I remember when it was like :10bux: at Toys R Us.

redhotfanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Greg View Post
I was actually thinking about that game yesterday. I loved it so much

I remember when it was like :10bux: at Toys R Us.

oh man if they remade the game, but added tons of shit(new tracks, modes, online, racers, career mode, ect) and made it look better I'd be allllllll over that again(I have two copies of it because I "lost" the first, bought the 2nd for 9.99$ on vacation driving through ohio and then found my first copy two years later).

sir tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotfanboy View Post
oh man if they remade the game, but added tons of shit(new tracks, modes, online, racers, career mode, ect) and made it look better I'd be allllllll over that again(I have two copies of it because I "lost" the first, bought the 2nd for 9.99$ on vacation driving through ohio and then found my first copy two years later).
give me the arcade control sticks too . i'd be all over that like a pedophile at a cheer camp lock-in.

redhotfanboy

Quote:
give me the arcade control sticks too . i'd be all over that like a pedophile at a cheer camp lock-in.

oh yes

and it would be cool if they ported it to the Wii as well, could use the wiimote and numchuck to be the controls