General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
borsdy
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
Some people will say that rumble/forcefeedback is not an important feature but I disagree. Far beyond the "immersion" factor in racing games it also helps you to drive better in some games...for example in Forza 2 I use the in-car view which means I can't see the tires hitting the chicanes and just being able to hear the "rumble" wouldn't quite do it for me. I like feeling the expansion joints at Sebring or feeling my back wheels leave the ground and thump back down at the Ring.
hell yeah
Old 07-03-2007, 12:46 PM borsdy is offline  
Reply With Quote
#106  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

sir tex
 
sir tex's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedAngel View Post
...no. The $500 was easily the best option and wasn't watered down in any way whatsoever. It lacked 40GB of space that would be worthless to the vast majority and it lacked a media card reader that nobody really gives a shit about anyways. It had everything that mattered (The power, Blu-Ray functionality, wireless controllers, and HDMI outputs).

right, no one gives a shit about wireless access, and i've got more than 20GB filled up easy on my hdd (i reckon that's the same with a vast majority of ps3 owners as well). the media card reader is awesome for the people that use it, which is anyone that has a digital camera or a PSP. it matters to more people than just you, which is why the 20gb model sold like shit. if what you said was even remotely true, the 20gb model would still be available.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:59 AM sir tex is offline  
Reply With Quote
#107  

Mr. Greg
I'm obsessed with DHermit
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir tex View Post
if what you said was even remotely true, the 20gb model would still be available.

Not if Sony canceled it because it was making them lose more money than the 60gb version.

Oh wait.

I definitely saw more demand for the 20 than the 60 during the first few months. Lots of people wanted me to see if I had 20s in the backroom, and when I said no, they "settled" for the 60. I got my fair share of 60 buyers, of course, but the 20 wasn't discontinued because it "sold like shit," it was discontinued because Sony produced only a limited number of them because of the drastic loss they incurred on each, and then said "low sales numbers = no demand" and canceled it because of that.

I would love for them to provide some statistic of how many 20gbs didn't sell and were sent back to them.
__________________
Moose's brother.

Louis Potgieter (1951-1996) NEVER FORGET
Old 07-04-2007, 12:47 PM Mr. Greg is offline  
Reply With Quote
#108  

exstic
 
i would definately buy a ps3 if the price dropped $100 or $200...

but i still fucking hate the dual shock design
Old 07-04-2007, 01:26 PM exstic is offline  
Reply With Quote
#109  

Burg
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizen View Post
The principle of that I'm not paying 600 for a video game console? I don't know when it became acceptable for a console to cost as a much as computer but that's not what I buy them for.

And 600 -> 400 is a sizeable difference, regardless of your budget. Between rent, food, FUCKING GAS ON MY CAR, going out, etc. 200 goes a long way.

I'm 20 and I make 200$ in under 2 days of work in the summer. I knew the price of the systems and I saved up and bought all 3. I pay for rent, GAS, INSURANCE!!!, and other shit but I manage my finances just fine. Video games (360 and ps3) are now aimred at people 18-35 so get used to having to fork up the extra cash if you want to play. Otherwise stick with PS2.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:09 PM Burg is offline  
Reply With Quote
#110  

Scrivener
Scrivener never gets any love :(
 
Scrivener's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Greg View Post
Not if Sony canceled it because it was making them lose more money than the 60gb version.

Oh wait.

I definitely saw more demand for the 20 than the 60 during the first few months. Lots of people wanted me to see if I had 20s in the backroom, and when I said no, they "settled" for the 60. I got my fair share of 60 buyers, of course, but the 20 wasn't discontinued because it "sold like shit," it was discontinued because Sony produced only a limited number of them because of the drastic loss they incurred on each, and then said "low sales numbers = no demand" and canceled it because of that.

I would love for them to provide some statistic of how many 20gbs didn't sell and were sent back to them.

It wasn't canceled because of low consumer demand, but poor retailer demand. Sony doesn't sell the stuff directly - and if the buyers for retailers aren't placing any orders, there's no reason to make the product.

Generally, retailers hate having multiple SKUs for an item, and on something as pricey as the PS3, they hate it doubly so. If both systems had included WiFi support, it might be that the 20GB unit would be the US standard retail SKU.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:12 PM Scrivener is offline  
Reply With Quote
#111  

Disarm
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by exstic View Post
i would definately buy a ps3 if the price dropped $100 or $200...

but i still fucking hate the dual shock design

be grateful that they listened to consumers and got rid of the boomerang design.

And i disagree, the dual shock design is awesome.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:53 PM Disarm is offline  
Reply With Quote
#112  

WickedAngel
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir tex View Post
right, no one gives a shit about wireless access, and i've got more than 20GB filled up easy on my hdd (i reckon that's the same with a vast majority of ps3 owners as well). the media card reader is awesome for the people that use it, which is anyone that has a digital camera or a PSP. it matters to more people than just you, which is why the 20gb model sold like shit. if what you said was even remotely true, the 20gb model would still be available.

I didn't say nobody gives a shit about wireless access, fool. The people that do give a shit about wireless access already have wireless peripherals in their homes (And likely, set up near their consoles).

I find it hard to believe that you've got more than 20GB of data unless you just don't bother to delete anything, but whatever.

Anyone who finds media card readers important is already likely to have one of those as well. To be frank, I'm surprised anyone would be stupid enough to argue that the $600 is a better value than the $500 version. It's absurd; with the difference, any educated person could buy a faster wireless access point, a much larger HDD, and still have money to spare.
__________________
Hi2U

Last edited by WickedAngel; 07-05-2007 at 06:40 AM..
Old 07-04-2007, 06:15 PM WickedAngel is offline  
Reply With Quote
#113  

exstic
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrivener View Post
Generally, retailers hate having multiple SKUs for an item, and on something as pricey as the PS3, they hate it doubly so. If both systems had included WiFi support, it might be that the 20GB unit would be the US standard retail SKU.

i would almost guarantee that if the $500 version had wifi it would be the "standard sku" instead of the $600 one
Old 07-05-2007, 03:46 AM exstic is offline  
Reply With Quote
#114  

Rizen
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg View Post
I'm 20 and I make 200$ in under 2 days of work in the summer. I knew the price of the systems and I saved up and bought all 3. I pay for rent, GAS, INSURANCE!!!, and other shit but I manage my finances just fine. Video games (360 and ps3) are now aimred at people 18-35 so get used to having to fork up the extra cash if you want to play. Otherwise stick with PS2.
I have enough money to go buy like 8 PS3s right now, that isn't the point.
Quote:
That is why its $600 dollars, you may have only wanted a console but that isn't what Sony made,
Exactly, and look how it's cost them? They're losing money on the console selling it at 600 dollars and sales for it have sucked ass, they've lost exclusives and the Wii has outsold it by about 5 million consoles. Lot's of people, whether they can afford it or not, don't want or need a "central media" player. I already have multiple devices that play DVDs, and if you are reading this then you most likely already have a computer for browsing the internet and listening to music and viewing photos. I don't need a console for that, I buy consoles to play games. If spending $600 so you can repurchase your entire movie collection in a higher resolution with marginally better sound is worth it to you then by all means go ahead.
__________________
-Ben
Old 07-05-2007, 06:29 AM Rizen is offline  
Reply With Quote
#115  

Mr. Greg
I'm obsessed with DHermit
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrivener View Post
It wasn't canceled because of low consumer demand, but poor retailer demand. Sony doesn't sell the stuff directly - and if the buyers for retailers aren't placing any orders, there's no reason to make the product.

Sure they do.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId=11039939



The 20gb was available on there when it came out too.

Target discontinued the 20 GB back in early December, I remember Best Buy wasn't far behind as well.

My point is that I'm sure they intended from the start to make a limited run of 20gb models and then discontinue the thing, seeing how much money they were losing on each. They just threw the blame on the retailers to save face, leading people to say that "no one bought the 20gb so it was discontinued," which is far from the truth.

Quote:
Generally, retailers hate having multiple SKUs for an item, and on something as pricey as the PS3, they hate it doubly so.
Nearly every big store still carries 3 SKUs of the 360 still. Sure, it's not as pricey as the PS3, but still.

Quote:
If both systems had included WiFi support, it might be that the 20GB unit would be the US standard retail SKU.
I agree. If the 20gb had WiFi, and would of stayed around long enough to get a price drop, I would of definitely got one.
__________________
Moose's brother.

Louis Potgieter (1951-1996) NEVER FORGET
Old 07-05-2007, 09:04 AM Mr. Greg is offline  
Reply With Quote
#116  

MrMinty
 
Knowing sony, they'll still charge 10 bucks more for a controller with rumble.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:24 AM MrMinty is offline  
Reply With Quote
#117  

Scrivener
Scrivener never gets any love :(
 
Scrivener's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Greg View Post
Sure they do.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId=11039939



The 20gb was available on there when it came out too.

Target discontinued the 20 GB back in early December, I remember Best Buy wasn't far behind as well.

My point is that I'm sure they intended from the start to make a limited run of 20gb models and then discontinue the thing, seeing how much money they were losing on each. They just threw the blame on the retailers to save face, leading people to say that "no one bought the 20gb so it was discontinued," which is far from the truth.

Sony Style != SCE
Sony Style = Retailer

They're not connected in any way, shape or form. They're treated as, and for all intents and purposes are, entirely different nearly-unrelated companies. Besides, if you think Sony Style stores would single-handedly save a product that WalMart, Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, and Gamestop have decided not to carry, or to carry in very limited quantities, then you're sorely mistaken.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:46 AM Scrivener is offline  
Reply With Quote
#118  

Mr. Greg
I'm obsessed with DHermit
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrivener View Post
Sony Style != SCE
Sony Style = Retailer

They're not connected in any way, shape or form. They're treated as, and for all intents and purposes are, entirely different nearly-unrelated companies. Besides, if you think Sony Style stores would single-handedly save a product that WalMart, Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, and Gamestop have decided not to carry, or to carry in very limited quantities, then you're sorely mistaken.

Even so, the point that I made still stands.
__________________
Moose's brother.

Louis Potgieter (1951-1996) NEVER FORGET
Old 07-05-2007, 09:48 AM Mr. Greg is offline  
Reply With Quote
#119  

Scrivener
Scrivener never gets any love :(
 
Scrivener's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Greg View Post
Even so, the point that I made still stands.

The loss on the 20GB models were $130 less than the 60GB version. It wasn't discontinued because it lost more money - it lost less. Presales are part of the reason. Most buyers (and as a result, publishers and manufacturers as well) base demand estimates very heavily on presales - and the 60GB outsold the 20GB version 7-1 in presales. That's HUGE. Post-launch, 20GB were rarely in stock because so few orders were being placed for them... and the speed of the sale is so inconsequential to market analysts (especially for a new hardware launch where it's assumed scarcity is a given) that it doesn't make a damn bit of difference.

The fate of the 20GB version was decided by consumer preorders before the system even launched... afterward, retailers just assumed that joe public wasn't interested (despite the fact that the 20GB version might appeal to a segment of the market much less inclined to preorder).

Anyway, the point is that what I said was absolutely 100% true. Your "retail-level experience" is not a consideration in any way - not to Sony and not to retail buyers and not to market analysts... not to anybody who makes those kinds of decisions.

Last edited by Scrivener; 07-05-2007 at 10:04 AM..
Old 07-05-2007, 10:02 AM Scrivener is offline  
Reply With Quote
#120  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:25 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.