General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
arimanius
 
arimanius's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh scud View Post
the price to manufacture ps3's has potentially dropped quite a bit by now (sony hasn't given exact figures but drops big hints). i'm optimistic and hope they announce a $100-$200 pricedrop at e3.

I was thinking they would probably drop the price $100. If they can drop it $200, then wow. If they don't start selling a ton after that then they really would be cause of concern.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:39 AM arimanius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#91  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

WickedAngel
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by arimanius View Post
I was thinking they would probably drop the price $100. If they can drop it $200, then wow. If they don't start selling a ton after that then they really would be cause of concern.

$100 wouldn't really help them much. They stopped making the $500 version and it wasn't selling that great even when it actually was available. $200 is really their only option if they expect to see a significant increase in sales.
__________________
Hi2U
Old 07-02-2007, 08:28 AM WickedAngel is offline  
Reply With Quote
#92  

sir tex
 
sir tex's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedAngel View Post
$100 wouldn't really help them much. They stopped making the $500 version and it wasn't selling that great even when it actually was available. $200 is really their only option if they expect to see a significant increase in sales.
your argument doesn't proves causation in any way whatsoever. the $500 sold like shit because it was a badly watered down version of the $600 version.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:38 AM sir tex is offline  
Reply With Quote
#93  

Mattcohen.com
brandonopolis
 
Mattcohen.com's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopesfall View Post
i would buy a $400-500 ps3 with rumble controller a year from now

This is pretty much what I was thinking, too.
__________________
15229bc07173578406a51a8f71410bb8 [#######.com]
Old 07-02-2007, 12:03 PM Mattcohen.com is offline  
Reply With Quote
#94  

borsdy
 
Fuck if it was 200 bucks cheaper then I'd buy one with my 360!
Old 07-02-2007, 12:14 PM borsdy is offline  
Reply With Quote
#95  

Qwell
 
Just wanted to chime in about this whole price thing since that is kind of the topic now. If a $200 dollar difference is like earth shattering to your wallet then I think you have better things to do then have a hobby like play video games. $200 is a fucking drop in the bucket if your hobby is video games, especially since games are $60 now, and controllers are like $50. Plus with other accessories and marketplace etc. etc. Maybe you need a cheaper hobby like riding bicycles or swimming in pools, or playing outside. PS3 is the audiofile option for video games in its current life cycle. If you want the "bargain price" video games you get a PS2 for $120, or a Wii for $250 and a free game. If you can afford a $400-$480 system, and $60 games I just don't see how a one time fee of $200 more is going to hurt when you are willing to pay $60 for games, $50 for controllers, and $300+ for video cards etc. etc.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:12 AM Qwell is offline  
Reply With Quote
#96  

Rizen
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwell View Post
Just wanted to chime in about this whole price thing since that is kind of the topic now. If a $200 dollar difference is like earth shattering to your wallet then I think you have better things to do then have a hobby like play video games. $200 is a fucking drop in the bucket if your hobby is video games, especially since games are $60 now, and controllers are like $50. Plus with other accessories and marketplace etc. etc. Maybe you need a cheaper hobby like riding bicycles or swimming in pools, or playing outside. PS3 is the audiofile option for video games in its current life cycle. If you want the "bargain price" video games you get a PS2 for $120, or a Wii for $250 and a free game. If you can afford a $400-$480 system, and $60 games I just don't see how a one time fee of $200 more is going to hurt when you are willing to pay $60 for games, $50 for controllers, and $300+ for video cards etc. etc.
The principle of that I'm not paying 600 for a video game console? I don't know when it became acceptable for a console to cost as a much as computer but that's not what I buy them for.

And 600 -> 400 is a sizeable difference, regardless of your budget. Between rent, food, FUCKING GAS ON MY CAR, going out, etc. 200 goes a long way.
__________________
-Ben
Old 07-03-2007, 10:45 AM Rizen is offline  
Reply With Quote
#97  

VapoRub
 
VapoRub's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwell View Post
Just wanted to chime in about this whole price thing since that is kind of the topic now. If a $200 dollar difference is like earth shattering to your wallet then I think you have better things to do then have a hobby like play video games. $200 is a fucking drop in the bucket if your hobby is video games, especially since games are $60 now, and controllers are like $50. Plus with other accessories and marketplace etc. etc. Maybe you need a cheaper hobby like riding bicycles or swimming in pools, or playing outside. PS3 is the audiofile option for video games in its current life cycle. If you want the "bargain price" video games you get a PS2 for $120, or a Wii for $250 and a free game. If you can afford a $400-$480 system, and $60 games I just don't see how a one time fee of $200 more is going to hurt when you are willing to pay $60 for games, $50 for controllers, and $300+ for video cards etc. etc.

qft. Even if you eat fast food and go to the movies once in awhile it's still not very much by comparison unless you're a kid delivering newspapers and all that junk food were impulse buys (big surprise). You imagine that after over half a year people who could afford to buy games in the first place would have collected enough to save up for something that is clearly being sold at a loss even greater than the difference price of the console. Sony is basically giving everyone all those great features for half the price and people are leaving them to dry because they don't want to meet them halfway, or they don't even know what it's all about. The system hasn't even peaked yet in terms of what it's capable of. Any firm that actually made a decent ground-up game for the system has stated that they've only used half of its power.

Online is even free. Anyone who has a beef with all the addons omg raising the price of the system, there's nothing in there that isn't directly being used towards gaming except the memory card slots. Everything else in terms of software is just making use of what's possible with the hardware. It's even getting better with firmware updates. In regards to rumble, all I know is the controllers haven't needed to be charged in ages, but when it finally does come out, it's going to be a better rumble than you were expecting. Oh yeah and the mini-usb cable and rechargeable battery in the controller was free too.
__________________
Rub a thick layer on chest and throat or rub on sore aching muscles. If desired, cover with a soft, dry cloth but keep clothing loose so vapors can reach nose and mouth.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:53 AM VapoRub is offline  
Reply With Quote
#98  

teh scud
 
teh scud's Avatar
 
i think ps3 is the best bang for your buck in terms of hardware/feature value, but they do need to price drop and it is expensive. most people buy into consoles when they hit the $150-$200 range. sony should have been able to reduce the price significantly and i'm hoping for as big of a price drop as they can manage.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:56 AM teh scud is offline  
Reply With Quote
#99  

Scrivener
Scrivener never gets any love :(
 
Scrivener's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by arimanius View Post
I was thinking they would probably drop the price $100. If they can drop it $200, then wow. If they don't start selling a ton after that then they really would be cause of concern.

Even if they could drop it $200, they never would, and it's not because of corporate greed. Think about how that would look. Hell, the press would have a hey day. People would think it's a system clearance, and coupled with stories of poor sales the entire market would just assume that such a massive discount meant that the system was was being abandoned. Investors would flee in droves, it would absolutely devastating.

Price cuts like that have to be done in increments. $100 now, $100 later (maybe temporarily as a special sale). It would take one hell of an amazing PR spin to save face after a $200 price cut overnight.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:04 AM Scrivener is offline  
Reply With Quote
#100  

teh scud
 
teh scud's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrivener View Post
Even if they could drop it $200, they never would, and it's not because of corporate greed. Think about how that would look. Hell, the press would have a hey day. People would think it's a system clearance, and coupled with stories of poor sales the entire market would just assume that such a massive discount meant that the system was dead.

Price cuts like that have to be done in increments. $100 now, $100 later (maybe temporarily as a special sale). It would take one hell of an amazing PR spin to save face after a $200 price cut overnight.

very true. hopefully they continue to do game and blu-ray attachments though
Old 07-03-2007, 11:06 AM teh scud is offline  
Reply With Quote
#101  

Qwell
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizen View Post
The principle of that I'm not paying 600 for a video game console? I don't know when it became acceptable for a console to cost as a much as computer but that's not what I buy them for.

And 600 -> 400 is a sizeable difference, regardless of your budget. Between rent, food, FUCKING GAS ON MY CAR, going out, etc. 200 goes a long way.
My point is $60 dollars goes a long ways as well and that is what you are paying PER game in the new generation. So why bitch about a single $600 for a central media system (Sony themselves state and based on what they put into the system i believe them). You may want a console, but the fact is the PS3 isn't that, PS2 is a console, PS3 was built from the ground up as a central media system. I know I use mine for a hell of a lot more than just games, its my upconverting DVD player, its my photo viewer, its my music player, its how I surf the internet while I'm at home, its my Blu-Ray player.

That is why its $600 dollars, you may have only wanted a console but that isn't what Sony made, I'm getting a little off topic here because I was mainly just trying to say if you are already willing to spend $60 for a single game, and $50 for a controller, and pay for online service and map packs and downloaded TV shows etc. etc. than that $200 difference is the least of your worries. Just saying if you are that broke maybe you shouldn't have next gen video games as your hobby. Maybe you should still be in the previous generation which is still going strong with PS2 and Wii / Gamecube.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:11 AM Qwell is offline  
Reply With Quote
#102  

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?
 
joemama's Avatar
 
Some people will say that rumble/forcefeedback is not an important feature but I disagree. Far beyond the "immersion" factor in racing games it also helps you to drive better in some games...for example in Forza 2 I use the in-car view which means I can't see the tires hitting the chicanes and just being able to hear the "rumble" wouldn't quite do it for me. I like feeling the expansion joints at Sebring or feeling my back wheels leave the ground and thump back down at the Ring.
__________________
Rapid-fire double bass of the GenMay dru[M]mers collective

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v
Old 07-03-2007, 11:58 AM joemama is offline  
Reply With Quote
#103  

virtuexru
 
thing looks effin sweet..
__________________
c233e11a46faac4c1fe9d8b73ebc603e [pornmay.com]
www.CASHBULGE.com
Old 07-03-2007, 12:05 PM virtuexru is offline  
Reply With Quote
#104  

WickedAngel
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrivener View Post
Even if they could drop it $200, they never would, and it's not because of corporate greed. Think about how that would look. Hell, the press would have a hey day. People would think it's a system clearance, and coupled with stories of poor sales the entire market would just assume that such a massive discount meant that the system was was being abandoned. Investors would flee in droves, it would absolutely devastating.

Price cuts like that have to be done in increments. $100 now, $100 later (maybe temporarily as a special sale). It would take one hell of an amazing PR spin to save face after a $200 price cut overnight.

They've created a lose-lose situation for themselves in cancelling the $500 20GB SKU. A lot of people aren't even aware that the SKU has been cancelled. A lot of people are going to mistake the pricedrop of the 60GB to $499 for the $499 20GB that was cancelled and not see the savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir tex View Post
your argument doesn't proves causation in any way whatsoever. the $500 sold like shit because it was a badly watered down version of the $600 version.

...no. The $500 was easily the best option and wasn't watered down in any way whatsoever. It lacked 40GB of space that would be worthless to the vast majority and it lacked a media card reader that nobody really gives a shit about anyways. It had everything that mattered (The power, Blu-Ray functionality, wireless controllers, and HDMI outputs).
__________________
Hi2U

Last edited by WickedAngel; 07-03-2007 at 12:38 PM..
Old 07-03-2007, 12:09 PM WickedAngel is offline  
Reply With Quote
#105  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:48 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.