General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

sir tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
no it depends on the agreement. i am at a company right now where this is the case. We OWN the game. We decide how it is going to be made, etc. Sony is simply taking care of puting it on physical media and dropping it on the shelves (advertising too).
sweet mother of god i love your "avatar" right now

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

surreal
Yahh! I'm a Llama again!

Quote:
no it depends on the agreement. i am at a company right now where this is the case. We OWN the game. We decide how it is going to be made, etc. Sony is simply taking care of puting it on physical media and dropping it on the shelves (advertising too).

It sounds like in your guy's place, you actually Own the IP and sony is just distributing it for you guys (Seing as those costs are huge). Which is diffrent, the majority of studio's that are much smaller can't afford that. At the studio i'm at we were hired by Nintendo to make Mario Strikers. They own it, and all rights to it, because it's their IP, we just got the joy of making it.

DigitalChaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by surreal View Post
It sounds like in your guy's place, you actually Own the IP and sony is just distributing it for you guys (Seing as those costs are huge). Which is diffrent, the majority of studio's that are much smaller can't afford that. At the studio i'm at we were hired by Nintendo to make Mario Strikers. They own it, and all rights to it, because it's their IP, we just got the joy of making it.
like i said.. it depends on the agreement.
we are a pretty small shop though and this is our first game.

surreal
Yahh! I'm a Llama again!

Quote:
like i said.. it depends on the agreement.
we are a pretty small shop though and this is our first game.

Nice agreement on your first game, and yeah it does depend, but for probably 75% of dev's out there, they can't afford to make their own IP.. sadly, i'm sure there are some beautiful idea's out there

Any info on your studio's first game? or still all under NDA?
My first one was just publicly announced, even saw a clip of it at E3! i was pretty stoked haha, i worked on SpiderMan Friend or Foe

Last edited by surreal; 07-14-2007 at 04:50 PM..

DigitalChaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by surreal View Post
Nice agreement on your first game, and yeah it does depend, but for probably 75% of dev's out there, they can't afford to make their own IP.. sadly, i'm sure there are some beautiful idea's out there

Any info on your studio's first game? or still all under NDA?
My first one was just publicly announced, even saw a clip of it at E3! i was pretty stoked haha, i worked on SpiderMan Friend or Foe

game 1: http://www.godsandheroes.com/
game 2: http://www.startrekonline.com/
nothing i previously said has anything to do with the company or should be considered to come from the company Everything is just personal opinion. im not a dev nor do i have any real say in how things happen with dev. I get to talk to a lot of other people in the industry outside of our company. I also get to see how a lot of the industry works as a result.

Last edited by DigitalChaos; 07-14-2007 at 05:15 PM..

surreal
Yahh! I'm a Llama again!

Quote:
nothing i previously said has anything to do with the company or should be considered to come from the company Everything is just personal opinion. im not a dev nor do i have any real say in how things happen with dev. I get to talk to a lot of other people in the industry outside of our company. I also get to see how a lot of the industry works as a result.

Haha so far everything from me is opinion also, just learned so much about how it works from actually being inside the industry now.

mcj

• Games are more advanced now, requiring more people which...
  • Needs more money for funding.
  • Microsoft making people pay to play online, which is ridiculous especially...
  • With PC games, wtf is this Windows Live , paying to play online.

So it all comes down to money money money.

Heathen-Yak
OMGDIE2U

Quote:

Holy shit dude. I would totally buy both of those games! keep us informed please.

DigitalChaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen-Yak View Post
Holy shit dude. I would totally buy both of those games! keep us informed please.

GnH will be out in a few months. STO is in early dev so itll be a bit.

Dyno
Come hither Sancho Panza, I have need of my Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roam View Post
If new FPS games had the huge numer of enemies at the same time like DOOM had, then the pretty graphics would always be welcome.

You might dig Resistance: Fall of Man then. It's something of a throw-back what with it's health bar and health packs, arsenal of many weapons, wide open levels, and lots of enemies at once.

Overall I'm liking it.

Wixard

How is it a group a fraction of the size of something larger can put out a game with the same level of art assets, sounds acting and overall quality using few resources and money?

(Im refering to games like stalker, gothic series, or even the witcher)