General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

SoulkeepHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by domonbaylespam View Post
really, writes?

They must have massively enhanced then. Ive never seen anything close to that.

edit: im solely talking about parity based raids here, sure, you can push massive speed through a raid0

RAID5 with my Perc 5i flashed to the LSI firmware with 3x1.5TB drives I benched 189.4 MB/sec in HD Tune on average in sequential with write through (caching) turned on. Reading was actually the slow side of things with only 3 drives, only 81MB/sec. It's ~300MB/sec now in reads with 5x drives.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

VanFanel
THERE IS NO DATA HERE - NONE AT ALL! \o/

Quote:
about 60 to a hundred bucks a port buys you a quality card. Consider expansion, 3tbs may seem like a lot now (i remember those days ) but now im thinking 16 is too little since i just maxed out my areca 1261ml

Naw homes - 5 drives of 2TB or 4 of 3TB - it's either 8 or 9 TB of storage....... I think I will be good ^_^.

worse comes to worse I can get 2x 4 Port LSI's and do two arrays

Stereodude

Quote:
really, writes?

They must have massively enhanced then. Ive never seen anything close to that.

edit: im solely talking about parity based raids here, sure, you can push massive speed through a raid0
Here's an ATTO style test (with IOmeter) of 8 x 2.0TB Samsung HD203WI (5400RPM) drives in RAID-6:

Here's an ATTO style test (with IOmeter) of 8 x 1.5TB Samsung HD154UI (5400RPM) drives in RAID-6:

I'd say they're plenty fast for a media server.

Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulkeepHL View Post
RAID5 with my Perc 5i flashed to the LSI firmware with 3x1.5TB drives I benched 189.4 MB/sec in HD Tune on average in sequential with write through (caching) turned on. Reading was actually the slow side of things with only 3 drives, only 81MB/sec. It's ~300MB/sec now in reads with 5x drives.
Well, RAID-5 with 3 drives is only going to give you 2 times the read/write performance of a single drive, so your write numbers makes sense. Not sure why the read numbers were so low.

SoulkeepHL

The other advantage of the PERC cards is that they're CHEEEEEEAP. My 5i with battery backup unit and ram was $130 shipped a few years ago. I think the 6i's can be had even cheaper now. An 8 port 3ware card is going to be $500+

flshdncr
brkdncr
I want to hang out with all the boys ;)

I have a PCI-X hardware-based RAID with battery backed write cache sitting in my closet. I thin it's a 3ware or SIG. I thought I could use it in a PCI slot but the manuf included a tab that prevents PCI-X backwards compatibility. This means you MUST have a full PCI-X slot.

If someone can use it please give me a PM with your name, phone#, address, and paypal address and I'll PIF it to you for the cost of shipping from 90017