General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Zeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
I disagree. I have an IBM built X60s and a new Lenovo built X200 Tablet and the Lenovo is equal if not better.

Ditto. My only complaint about my tablet is that the keyboard keys polish far too quickly to a glossy shine in my opinion.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

testshootcom

HP has a 25% failure rate, Lenovo is industry standard at <10%.

Since iCarly took over HP, the supply chain has been totally miserable crap. I have a Lenovo netbook, my only Lenovo experience, but two years on, rock solid.

I will agree that most consumer stuff has practically no lifespan. Right now I am debating the Qosmio or an M17X. Those are DTRs though. "Notebooks/Laptops" just suck.
Clarksonís trade is the kind of insults school students dream about making. Whatís interesting about Top Gear is that everyone thinks itís about cars. It isnít. Itís about men and their relationships. - BBCís W. Garvie.

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

HP laptops suck total ball, wifey's got a Pavillion DV6000 that just died because of some with the power connector to the motherboard falling apart. From what I've seen online, it's a common problem across their entire lines.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

ř~~~ ř~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ř~~~ ř~~~

Killer_B

Typically, as noted above, consumer models will tend to be more towards the ass end of things, when it comes to features/quality/reliability.

Generally I haven't heard a lot of good things about HP laptops, but I couldn't be sure if they were talking about simply consumer or corporate, or a blanket statement in general.

Lenovo, I'd tend to stick with their Thinkpad model line, which generally has a more proven record. Not always shining, though...Some particular models in the past had issues with say one memory slot having a 75-95% failure rate, or with the graphics chips coming unsoldered, though usually it was only confined to one particular model line and it would be fixed by the next generation though. Weirdly enough though, Their T60P line with the Nvidia chips that were going to fail one day, was not included in that class action suit decision made fairly recently.

Their lower priced consumer line, Easypad or whatever it's called? Couldn't tell you how reliable they are...Early reports seem to rate them as being constructed like Acers though, completely different than the classic Thinkpad line.

Founding [M]ember of the GENTLY CARESS EA Club.

Then the network comes back up. And then down again. Up... and down. It keeps going down like a Clinton intern.

SemperFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by [M] Kittah View Post
Lenovo laptops are pieces of shit now that they are no longer made by IBM

I cant count the number we get in our office with 100+ services running and 40+ of them are lenovo crap.

lenovo has been building those machines for years, long before they took the IBM name off the lid

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeagle View Post
Ditto. My only complaint about my tablet is that the keyboard keys polish far too quickly to a glossy shine in my opinion.

Woh. I thought it was just me. What does that mean?

Zeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
Woh. I thought it was just me. What does that mean?

I have the 3-year TPP for this machine (Nov 2008) and I've ordered two replacement keyboard for the machine through it after convenient keycap accidents. Originally I thought maybe I had screwed the keyboard up by cleaning it and accidentally polished a few key caps, but the same thing happened to the second one and I babied the hell out of it.

One was a different FRU (a bit quieter than the original) and still got polished after a few months, the current one is the original FRU and its slowly starting to get back to that state.

I use the machine a lot but I take a lot of care to wash my hands after eating (even carrots & the likes) or if if my hands get sweaty. I'm not sure what the deal is, but its clear that it happens on they keys that are used the most.

KorruptioN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeagle View Post
I have the 3-year TPP for this machine (Nov 2008) and I've ordered two replacement keyboard for the machine through it after convenient keycap accidents. Originally I thought maybe I had screwed the keyboard up by cleaning it and accidentally polished a few key caps, but the same thing happened to the second one and I babied the hell out of it.

One was a different FRU (a bit quieter than the original) and still got polished after a few months, the current one is the original FRU and its slowly starting to get back to that state.

I use the machine a lot but I take a lot of care to wash my hands after eating (even carrots & the likes) or if if my hands get sweaty. I'm not sure what the deal is, but its clear that it happens on they keys that are used the most.

Probably not so much the oils from your fingers, but the friction. Apparently the texture of those Thinkpad keyboard doesn't stand up so well and glosses out after a while.

ph00ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by testshootcom View Post
HP has a 25% failure rate, Lenovo is industry standard at <10%.

Since iCarly took over HP, the supply chain has been totally miserable crap. I have a Lenovo netbook, my only Lenovo experience, but two years on, rock solid.

I will agree that most consumer stuff has practically no lifespan. Right now I am debating the Qosmio or an M17X. Those are DTRs though. "Notebooks/Laptops" just suck.

Also check out G73 series

One of the most impressive laptops i've ever had.
04 White Diamond CTS
f17881c2d660477b9151fe21fb4fb04b

JohnGeek

Lonovo laptops are more reliable and easy to use (keyboard especially).

Aldaris

HP's top-end laptops (Currently the Elitebook line) are pretty reliable and well-built.

You won't find a new one for anywhere near $399 though

Their consumer grade stuff sucks balls. You did well to get the Lenovo... I think.
You always roll the dice when it comes to cheap laptops. They're selling them at a profit, no matter how cheap you buy them.