General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

HybridFox

wireless router nightmare

i recently moved into a new house and cannot find a wireless router that works well.
it started a couple mounths ago when we first moved in. i have Cogeco highspeed cable internet with a promised DL speed of up to 16/Mbps. but currently through my router im only getting about 200-300 Kbps. The guy i live with works at future shop so we have gone through a plethora of routers all with the same results.

1: an old D-Link WBR-1310 Wireless G. 2mb down 1mb up
2: Cisco E2000 wreless N. 3mb down 1mb up
3: Cisco E3000 wireless N. 2mb down 1.5mb up
4: Belkin Play+ wireless N. 4mb down 500kb up
5: one of the newest D-link wireless N routers that wouldnt even set up and actually had sex with our modem causing it to not work at all for a couple hours.
6: back to the Cisco E2000 currently 250kb down 1 mb up.

the weirdest thing is that speed testing directly through my modem gets me 16mb down 4mb up. however all of the above numbers stay the same when plugged directly into the respective routers.

im at my wits end here, i live with 2 other guys and we all watch movies online and game online, i've changed everything from the routers position in my house, tried different cords, firmware updates, dual band routers. if you guys have any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

cliffs:
-my interwebs broke

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

SemperFly

find out if your isp is doing something specifically to prevent a networking device behind the modem

HybridFox

roger that, will do

SnarkFish
This post probably contains a URL

what speed do you get when you go wired behind the router?

what adapter are you using?

are you experiencing interference?

HybridFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnarkFish View Post
what speed do you get when you go wired behind the router?

what adapter are you using?

are you experiencing interference?

wired behind all of the routers mentioned above was generally the same as in front of the routers.

if by adapter you mean how i receive the wireless signal, then its my HP Pavilion dv6's built in wireless N, Atheros AR5009 802.11a/g/n Wifi Adapter.

and as far as interference my computer gets med-good signal strength from 8+ other wifi networks around my home.

the two guys i live with both have pretty good computers with built in wireless n receivers. one is a hp laptop like mine, and the other is a hp desktop entertainment pc.

i'v noticed that we all have programs on our computers left over from the other routers (belkin router managment, e3000 managment and so forth) do you think these would be trying to rape my current router?

SnarkFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridFox View Post
and as far as interference my computer gets med-good signal strength from 8+ other wifi networks around my home.

signal strength isn't really indicative of interference, throughput is - what channels are the nearby wifi APs on and what channel are you on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridFox View Post
i'v noticed that we all have programs on our computers left over from the other routers (belkin router managment, e3000 managment and so forth) do you think these would be trying to rape my current router?

possibly, though very hard to say

hawk82
[G]enerous [M]otherucker

Try unplugging the power for 30 minutes from cable/dsl/whatever modem your router plugs into. I've seen weird cases like this where I was only able to resolve it by leaving the modem unplugged for a long period of time. Usually 10 or 20 seconds should be enough.

Are you using the same ethernet cable from the cable/dsl/whatever modem your router plugs into? Like the same exact one when you tested all of these different brand routers? Could be a bad ethernet cable or some type of auto-mdx issue. Try swapping the cable/dsl/whatever modem and see if that fixes the issue. Your provider might allow you to swap the modem for free.
http://www.fuckingright.com/genmay/funnypics/
http://www.fuckingright.com/genmay/funnypics_2007-01-30.rar

SnarkFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk82 View Post
Could be some type of auto-mdix issue.

no