General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Computer struggles to play 1080p

I have a Dell 530s with an E2200 and 2 gigs of ram connected to my TV. I was trying to play back some 1080p content a few days ago and whenever there was a lot of stuff happening it would lag. I figured it was because I was using the onboard video card and the CPU isnt powerful enough to handle two things.

So I figured I probably need a standalone video card. I do some reading and I decide on the ATI 4350. Its a low profile card with 512mb ddr2 and a 650mhz GPU, 400mhz mem clock.

Last night I put it in, fire up the same movie and on the same spots it lags again. Maybe slightly less but still significant and unwatchable. Pausing and choking the whole way through the really graphical scenes.

I think the E2200 is plenty since all the processing should be happening on the GPU, but I don't know wtf.

Any ideas what I could do to remedy this?

Last edited by Lurker; 11-30-2010 at 06:17 AM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

wwilliam54

codec?
vid player?

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

x264, might be an MKV
VLC

wwilliam54

try MPC

Lurker

Will try.

Is there any way for me to log CPU activity in the background while other apps are running? I want to see if its maxing out at 100%.

Could it be that it doesnt have enough juice? Maybe the hard drive isnt fast enough? I'm not sure but it could be a 5400rpm, if 320gb hard drives even come in that speed anymore.

wwilliam54

I have shitty HDD's, a phenom (not II) x3 2.1 and radeon onboard 3200

you should have no prob

hawk82
[G]enerous [M]otherucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
Will try.

Is there any way for me to log CPU activity in the background while other apps are running? I want to see if its maxing out at 100%.
Open the Task Manager (right click on the task bar and select properties). Then click the Performance tab. Play your movie and look at the CPU usage. You might want to turn up the Update speed of the graph. Click on View -> Update Speed -> High. In Windows 7 (and I think Vista) you can try the Resource Monitor. Has more useful information and graphing. Start -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Resource Monitor.
http://www.fuckingright.com/genmay/funnypics/
http://www.fuckingright.com/genmay/funnypics_2007-01-30.rar

Lurker

OK. Ill report back tonight with my findings.

From the VLC 1.1.0 release notes:
"so far, on Windows for GPU decoding, VideoLAN is recommending nVidiaŽ GPU, until ATIŽ drivers are working with VLC architecture"

In other words, switching to MPC should solve your problems.

edit: actually, I take that back. The VLC wiki says ATI cards work now. http://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_GPU_Decoding

wwilliam54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37731 View Post
From the VLC 1.1.0 release notes:
"so far, on Windows for GPU decoding, VideoLAN is recommending nVidiaŽ GPU, until ATIŽ drivers are working with VLC architecture"

In other words, switching to MPC should solve your problems.

edit: actually, I take that back. The VLC wiki says ATI cards work now. http://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_GPU_Decoding

in linux they do
but I MPC has had good support for UVD for a while now

Lurker

NICE FIND.
I wonder why it doesnt, UVD has been around since 08.

It would be funny if switching to MPC while using the onboard Intel G video card would have fixed the stutter.

Lurker

You guys are awesome. MPC works flawlessly.

chronage

MPC is the bee's knees. Handles everything, and I mean all sorts of fucked up old formats, flawlessly.

Lurker

I use it exclusively on my desktop and most of my other computers. I install and recommend VLC to everyone that has problems playing formats because how quick and easy it is to use and install so naturally when I needed something to play all the files on my HTPC I downloaded VLC too. I never even gave it a second thought they could perform differently. The more you know.