General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Photography and I[M]aging
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

dinoadventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumXL2
quick question....when looking at used DSLR's.. how many actuations is too many... what is the life span of these things..

i bought my 10D with about 5k on the shutter. it has almost 30k on it now.

300D's 10D's 20D's and 350D's are good for about 50-70k most of the time. 30D's are rated for 100k. Pro bodies are rated at over 200k and the shutter sure sounds like it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinoadventures/

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

ZeRoFoOL
I'm kind of a big deal.

Whattabout some Sony digital cameras? I'm seeing all these canons, but i kinda like sony's slick designs. Also because i already have a 2gb sony mem card for my psp that i can use with sonys. Which ones would you recommend for around the price of $200 (+ or -). Are Canons better than sony or what?

dinoadventures

What about them?

Maybe that $1000 one but for that money you can do infinitely better.

Memory sticks suck. resist the urge to cripply your photography on the basis of a trivial investment. It's like saying you won't buy a porsche cos you still have some spare toyota parts.

amdmachine
/evil/bin
EILLE! NE DIT PAS SA A MOI!! I hit isajeep tards for fun.

I want something portable and 'heavy-duty'... as in "if it falls down a table, it won't break". What's the best?

Regime|Life
The Silver Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdmachine
I want something portable and 'heavy-duty'... as in "if it falls down a table, it won't break". What's the best?

maybe something like this?
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0605/06050801ricoh500g.asp

ZeRoFoOL
I'm kind of a big deal.

Thoughts on Canon SD550? I can get it for about 280, should i do it?

Comics

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdmachine

Olympus 720 SW, bar none. Shock proof from 5ft, waterproof down to 10ft.

JediFonger

where are the enthusiast forum sites (with decent # of people) for still photography cameras both film and digital? link?

some friends of mine were asking whether a AF nikon lens will fit on a Canon EOS or somn. anyway, they need one of those enthusiast forums longterm.

Stealthmode
needs moar stealhmode

dinoadventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger
some friends of mine were asking whether a AF nikon lens will fit on a Canon EOS or somn. anyway, they need one of those enthusiast forums longterm.

not without an adapter. you'll lose AF for sure. unless you get handed down some sweet nikon glass and for some reason completely distrust the internet and cant turn it around for its canon equivalent, it can bea easily adapted i suppose.

Thejavaman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger
where are the enthusiast forum sites (with decent # of people) for still photography cameras both film and digital? link?

Because Canon has one of the shortest flange -> film/sensor plane distances (iirc it is 40.5mm, while Nikon is 44mm), many lenses can be adapted to fit onto Canon bodies. The biggest requirement is that the other systems flange to film distance is at least that of Canon's and that the mount diameter is smaller than Canon's. The next is that it must have a manual aperature control ring, otherwise the lens will be stuck wide open. G series Nikon lenses (this includes the DX lenses) lack the aperature ring so they won't be that useful on a Canon body.

Zasboy

Does anybody have some good recommendation for classified websites? Looking to get a DSLR but want to see if buying used is a good option. Heard some good comments about buying used so I want see what my options are.

Thanks

dinoadventures

fredmiranda.com has a totally hopping buy/sell.

Efflixi

I'm not really capable of buying anything right now but i always research my options for a while before getting a product. I'll be looking to replace my old Sony DSC S70 in a few months. It's served very well and it still takes perfect pictures 5 years after i bought it.

http://x006.uploaderx.net/x/insect003.jpg - Just taken today

If im going to replace this camera, i want it to be a serious upgrade that will last me many years (as this camera has done). This camera is feeling its age, it has slow image transfers, limit of 15 second 320x200 movies, no ISO control etc etc. It's a very fine camera for when it came out, but there are cameras that outperform it for $200 now.

I'd like suggestions, im not looking for a DSLR, but i want as much manual control as possible and less than $700. Image quality is of utmost importance to me. I don't care about resolution as long as its 2048x1536 or higher. I would like to occasionally record movies for as long as my memory card will hold out. It also must have a lithium ion battery that recharges inside the camera (like my S70)
STRAIGHT UP 39TH STREET NIGGAH ALWAYS BALLIN ALWAYS HUSTLIN' 394L NEVER FRONTIN NEVER HATIN #39
http://www.genmay.net/showthread.php?t=724129

Omid
I have the biggest nose on GenMay.

does anyone have the cannon SD30? it looks incredibly small, and I'm trying to decide between that and the SD600.

or maybe a SD30 for my sister? opinions?