General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Colonel Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
Stick or auto? You've got such a broad torque curve that I can see dumping a clutch or stalling the hell outta the torque converter causing some breakage with that much weight to snap into motion.

Either way, I'm sure it's a blast with that torque shelf; pretty much mash from anywhere and you're off.

It's stick.. I haven't owned anything auto in like 13 years, lol

The torque curve should be fun but I was hoping for a little more torque actually.. A lot of these cars when modded hit 390+ ft lbs, I think the deal here with mine is that most of the power is coming from the decent heads and cam package, which means torque isn't that crazy. If I had a better blower (a lot of people swap in Auto Rotors, TVSes, etc) and was making more boost that's where the big torque numbers would come in. So effectively this thing is basically like an LS1 or modded LT1.

He did recommend putting in a smaller jackshaft pulley which effectively increases boost a little so I had him put that on.. that's probably good for another 10 or 15hp. Also some aftermarket tensioner springs because you can see at the very end of the graph there was a little bit of belt slip.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Typhoon43

Congrats on getting her done! Looks like A/F is pretty safe there. Looking forward to seeing what she puts down at the track!

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

NEED VIDEO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NAO

Colonel Sanders

I guess he's gonna be doing a second dyno (at his time/cost) to test the new pulley and said he will get video this time

Typhoon43

I better hear some supercharger whine dammit!

Colonel Sanders

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

vid nao

RazorWind

Pretty cool. Is it as fun as you were hoping?

Colonel Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post
Pretty cool. Is it as fun as you were hoping?

Yeah, it's fun to drive for sure... with the tires that are on it, plus springs and all the poly bushings everywhere, I can't believe how well it handles. It feels WAY lighter than it has any right to.

Gobs of power too Although if I had anything negative to say, the trans doesn't shift as "slick" as I would like. Not that it grinds or doesn't go into gear or anything like that, it's just notchier and takes more force to shift than I was hoping. Also the gas pedal (like a lot of American stick shift cars of the time) isn't high enough to be easy to heel-toe It's doable but only if you're pretty hard on the brakes so the pedals are closer. It sucks that my dirt cheap GM econobox feels like it was made for it while the purpose-built sports coupe wasn't, lol.

But yeah, it is awesome overall and extremely nice considering it's 22 years old.

edit: If you look close at that crappy pic you can see the FMIC

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

VIIIIIIIIIDYAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Colonel Sanders

I gotta get it properly registered first, but I will.. more pics though

The car is so awesome that it has TWO head units... (the lower/stock one is just temporary until I can find a cubby or something to fit in there)

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

oh god

separate lap belt and automatic shoulder belt

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

I saw your poast about the transmission but... what car would you compare to it in terms of how it drives? I would assume that it'd be like driving an enlarged ghetto 50 with more power(?)

Colonel Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post
oh god

separate lap belt and automatic shoulder belt

Yeah one of the failed safety experiments of the period.. doesn't really bug me though since I always wear a seatbelt, and you can detach shoulder belt if you need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post
what car would you compare to it in terms of how it drives? I would assume that it'd be like driving an enlarged ghetto 50 with more power(?)

It's nothing like a Mustang, not AT ALL. It's more like a 5 series in how it drives (as that's what it was originally designed to compete with) but the engine is more brute force than finesse. It's really smooth and quiet inside and handles really fucking well like I said.

You can see the BMW inspiration everywhere, like gauge cluster, seats, etc

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders View Post
Yeah one of the failed safety experiments of the period.. doesn't really bug me though since I always wear a seatbelt, and you can detach shoulder belt if you need to.

It's nothing like a Mustang, not AT ALL. It's more like a 5 series in how it drives (as that's what it was originally designed to compete with) but the engine is more brute force than finesse. It's really smooth and quiet inside and handles really fucking well like I said.

You can see the BMW inspiration everywhere, like gauge cluster, seats, etc

Given that this is a two door, wouldn't it be a 6 series it's competing with? The 5 series is mid-size sedan.

And yeah, we need more pics, and video with good sound.