General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by wr3kt View Post
That's retarded. You realize everything that was produced around you has had at least one drop of a petroleum-based product used in order to produce it?

"If we stop driving, we won't need oil!"
Wrong.

Yep, I've been saying the same thing forever. Oil based economy regardless of what transportation has to say about it. You have to replace all manufacturing facilities as well. Have fun with that project!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Allnighte

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvuquoc View Post
To give you guys an idea of how much "profit" they're making.

Coca-Cola's Profit Margin in 2005 was 29% Pretax. 21.1% after taxes.

That's right Coca Cola is making more off of a can of Coke on you than Exxon does on gas.

Edit1: Pepsi
Edit2: Pop!
Edit3: No Soda!

i think most people will say "so what?" because they could just drink water instead. there isn't too much of an alternative for a lot of people when it comes to gas (yes, i know some people can get away with alternatives, i'm not talking about them)

Rang3find3r
sabercat tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allnighte View Post
i think most people will say "so what?" because they could just drink water instead. there isn't too much of an alternative for a lot of people when it comes to gas (yes, i know some people can get away with alternatives, i'm not talking about them)

you can use less gas. period. so can I, so can he, so can she, and all the rest of the people on the road.

most people make absolutely no effort whatsoever to use less gas. want to argue with that?

Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffraff View Post
I dont understand why the ceo doesnt commit somewhat to philanthropy..why wouldnt you want to help out the earth and civilization with so much money. he could possibly help fix the problems theyve somewhat helped out in making, such as global warming..
or fund schools so people can figure out how to help out
do something at least..
jesus h christ

I'm sure the executives at Exxon and other energy companies give some money to charities. Look at Bill Gates, he's giving away billions a year, same with Warren Buffet. But even billions isn't that much when it comes to the world economy. The energy industry is a multi trillion dollar industry. Even the tens of millions a CEO in that industry might make a year are nothing compared to that.

The only thing people can really do is be more efficient. Whether it's turning the thermostat down a little, carpooling, keeping your car tuned to get the best gas mileage, etc. Either that or perfecting fusion power.

Badger_sly

Quote:
Originally Posted by wr3kt View Post

Christ...

Exxon doesn't control oil prices, they simply refine it. They DO reap rewards of the MARKETS that set the price. They simply either refine less or more depending on demand. Again...they don't control prices.
That's the best and correct way to put it. Too bad most people don't understand that.

ColdFlare

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffraff View Post
I dont understand why the ceo doesnt commit somewhat to philanthropy..why wouldnt you want to help out the earth and civilization with so much money. he could possibly help fix the problems theyve somewhat helped out in making, such as global warming..
or fund schools so people can figure out how to help out
do something at least..
jesus h christ

CEO's responsibility is for the company to earn money. You think the Board of Directors will be happy when the CEO presents to them a plan that loses money but helps save the earth? You think the investors will be happy when financial statements come out with a lower earnings per share than expected?

The CEO has a fiduciary duty to the BOD/shareholders, else they will find someone else to replace him.

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosPhoenix View Post
Profit != Profit Margin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profit_margin

Exxon's profit margin was only ~10%

You really belive that, in this day-and-age?? They are going to lie thru their teeth about their true profit margins, and use anything they can to offset taxes, not to mention duping the rubes.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFlare View Post
CEO's responsibility is for the company to earn money. You think the Board of Directors will be happy when the CEO presents to them a plan that loses money but helps save the earth? You think the investors will be happy when financial statements come out with a lower earnings per share than expected?

The CEO has a fiduciary duty to the BOD/shareholders, else they will find someone else to replace him.

Yeah, no matter what kind of lying, cheating, or murdering they have to do.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

Allnighte

Quote:
Originally Posted by I <3 EFI CARB SUCKS View Post
you can use less gas. period. so can I, so can he, so can she, and all the rest of the people on the road.

most people make absolutely no effort whatsoever to use less gas. want to argue with that?

sure, we could argue that. my point was that just because there are other companies that have a higher profit margin, DOESNT mean that we aren't paying "too much" for oil. coke is easily replaced by water for practically zero effort or expense. while oil doesn't really have the same luxury.

Rang3find3r
sabercat tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allnighte View Post
sure, we could argue that. my point was that just because there are other companies that have a higher profit margin, DOESNT mean that we aren't paying "too much" for oil. coke is easily replaced by water for practically zero effort or expense. while oil doesn't really have the same luxury.

this is absurd

2kSeattleMax

Misleading. They have a 10-11 percent proift margin and had to spend 370B to make that 39billion.

Goddamn Hillary Clinton is already talking about taking profits from big oil. Hillary "Chavez" Clinton.

Trachei

I could see removing subsidies, but there shouldn't be special taxes for oil companies

SemperFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trachei View Post
I could see removing subsidies, but there shouldn't be special taxes for oil companies

fully agreed. I despise corporate welfare as much as individual welfare

lagomorph

So the world's largest company posts the world's highest ever profit. Is that supposed to be profound?

edit: agree with reducing subsidies, disagree with forced philanthropy.

kukulpuka

39KKKKKK

Exxon, Good job making good $$$$$

How do I become a Shareholder of this company? How much do I need to invest?