Lameanus
Limeano
pwned by mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScretHate
hahahaha. i'm glad she's dead.
me too

DivineStorm
I talk shit on the internet because in real life i'm a huge fucking pussy faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrogenesis
Dude, that's prehaps the furtherest from the correct Christian response you could get. Can you imagine Jesus yelling in rage at someone who had confessed thier sin to Him? That's not the Jesus I know. The Jesus I know uttered the words "Let he who is perfect cast the first stone", and then forgave the women caught in adultery. (John 8:3-11) Contrary to popular belief, it's not our job to condemn one another when we make mistakes. So the kids made a mistake, went too far, and now she's pregnant. As a Church it's your job to support them, not condemn them. They know they were wrong, and they're sorry. They confessed their sin before the church, and they have been forgiven by Jesus.

"For nothing is hidden that will not be made manifest, nor is anything secret that will not be known and come to light." - Luke 8:17

Better hope that not everyone thinks the way you do, or there's gonna be a lot of fingers pointing your way come that day.

All things aside, that's a very compelling answer.

I have replaced my faith in God for science and knowledge. Yet, for some reason your answer is more convincing than any kind of 'rational' answer I see possible.

I salute you.

PopeKevinI

Quote:
Dude, that's prehaps the furtherest from the correct Christian response you could get. Can you imagine Jesus yelling in rage at someone who had confessed thier sin to Him? That's not the Jesus I know. The Jesus I know uttered the words "Let he who is perfect cast the first stone", and then forgave the women caught in adultery. (John 8:3-11) Contrary to popular belief, it's not our job to condemn one another when we make mistakes. So the kids made a mistake, went too far, and now she's pregnant. As a Church it's your job to support them, not condemn them. They know they were wrong, and they're sorry. They confessed their sin before the church, and they have been forgiven by Jesus.

"For nothing is hidden that will not be made manifest, nor is anything secret that will not be known and come to light." - Luke 8:17

Better hope that not everyone thinks the way you do, or there's gonna be a lot of fingers pointing your way come that day.

1) It's not the parents' sin to confess; the kids were just along for the ride.

2) The confession is not to be made to the congregation, but to God.

Of course at some point they're going to have to come clean. Pregnancy isn't something you can keep quiet for more than a few months. But I'd say the families handled that entirely wrong...instead of making the announcement of the baby a happy moment, they made it one of shame.

Let the kids sort out their confessions with God, quietly tell your friends first, and talk to the pastor about how best to break it to the church. Make an announcement, not a confession. Good Christians will understand that these young people were raised to know that they made a mistake and accept them for who they are.

What they did is only going to increase the isolation of those kids. They're even more alienated after that vain "confession".

edit: I think you misunderstood him. I got the impression he was mad at the parents for dragging the kids up to the front of the church.

Last edited by PopeKevinI; 01-25-2005 at 06:47 AM..

Pyrogenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopeKevinI
edit: I think you misunderstood him. I got the impression he was mad at the parents for dragging the kids up to the front of the church.

Ah, yes, I see that now. Thanks for pointing that out, it was 3am when I posted that, I wasn't at my sharpest

And yes, Christians are supposed to confess their sins to one another

"Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working." - James 5:16

Last edited by Pyrogenesis; 01-26-2005 at 05:19 PM..

PopeKevinI

Quote:
Ah, yes, I see that now. Thanks for pointing that out, it was 3am when I posted that, I wasn't at my sharpest

And yes, Christians are supposed to confess their sins to one another

"Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working." - James 5:16

But the kids didn't confess. A confession is only true if it's from the heart...I got the distinct impression it wasn't. The described scene is one where the parents drag the kids up to the front and humiliate them. That is NOT good.

Any bets on whether those kids will be in church with their child in five years?

Pyrogenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopeKevinI
But the kids didn't confess. A confession is only true if it's from the heart...I got the distinct impression it wasn't. The described scene is one where the parents drag the kids up to the front and humiliate them. That is NOT good.

Any bets on whether those kids will be in church with their child in five years?

Yea, that was entirely the wrong way to go about it. But hey, I don't blame the kids for not wanting to own up. IMO, the parents should have made it the kids responsibility, not their own.

As for wether they'll be back, that depends on the church.

PopeKevinI

Quote:
Yea, that was entirely the wrong way to go about it. But hey, I don't blame the kids for not wanting to own up. IMO, the parents should have made it the kids responsibility, not their own.

As for wether they'll be back, that depends on the church.

More the parents than the church, I think. And the parents got off to a bad start.