General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Slacker

My GF just got some new pills, 'cause she was having some side effects with ortho tricyclin. The doctor said she could just start taking the new pills since they're just a a different level of the same horomones. We're going to use a backup form of BC for at least 2 days or so, will that be enough?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

aestrella
Feigned's Cock Socket

Did she completely stop ortho tricyclin for a while before getting her new pills? If so you might want to wait a week or so, but if not then you probably will be okay. Although they should have told her how long to wait, at least they did last week when I went and go back on the shot.

yolo

I'm getting a vasectomy.

skaterblm
I can name that dirty sanchez in three licks

I've been told that the vaginal condom increases pleasure for women, and ribbed condoms for men.
can i get a what what

f00ker's Wife
SlickChicFallen
... and the LORD struck him with an incureable disease of the bowels ...

Just got an IUD put in last Thursday (ask me how it went, lol).

One of the potential hazards that I was made aware of was the risk of infections, especially within the first 2 weeks. Do you think that it would be wise to let him blow in me, without a condom, for those first two weeks? Neither my vagina nor his penis are particularly sterile environments, so there's always the chance of infection. My real question is whether or not anyone thinks that him blowing in me, w/o a condom, could be a source of infection?

Mirena +++

Arjuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickChicFallen View Post
Just got an IUD put in last Thursday (ask me how it went, lol).

One of the potential hazards that I was made aware of was the risk of infections, especially within the first 2 weeks. Do you think that it would be wise to let him blow in me, without a condom, for those first two weeks? Neither my vagina nor his penis are particularly sterile environments, so there's always the chance of infection. My real question is whether or not anyone thinks that him blowing in me, w/o a condom, could be a source of infection?

Mirena +++

My understanding is that the initial infection risk is primarily due to manipulation during implantation and the introduction of fair quantities of vaginal flora (pathogenic or otherwise) into the uterine cavity. I imagine your doc did a history and possibly tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea, the usual suspects that would cause the biggest problems. I'm guessing that if having sex after implantation introduced substantial additional risk, you would have been warned against it. But I'd give the doc's office a call just to be sure.

lannie_poo

i am currently doing a drug trial for a product very similar to the nuvaring
im not sure if i can release the name of it but i love it so far, in for 3 weeks... out for period
and you only use one all year long

Burner27
pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolo View Post
I'm getting a vasectomy.

Me too, June 29th.

f00ker's Wife
SlickChicFallen
... and the LORD struck him with an incureable disease of the bowels ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjuna View Post
My understanding is that the initial infection risk is primarily due to manipulation during implantation and the introduction of fair quantities of vaginal flora (pathogenic or otherwise) into the uterine cavity. I imagine your doc did a history and possibly tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea, the usual suspects that would cause the biggest problems. I'm guessing that if having sex after implantation introduced substantial additional risk, you would have been warned against it. But I'd give the doc's office a call just to be sure.

Fair enough; I just wasn't sure if semen was a potential source of infection, and with the little stringy-dealies hanging down, keeping the 'pathway to heaven' open, so to speak.

Anyhoo, 2 weeks down and one to go before the initial 3 week infection risk-factor is over. Tonight will be my last BC pill for the next 5 years, and hopefully longer. Hooray!

EDIT: and yes, I was screened for all kinds of lovely STI's and whatnot before they'd let me get it put in

cjh
I won at iSketch and all i got was this shitty title

Loose Cannon:

I am a tad bothered after reading Withdrawl, because I have read that anything short of ejaculation at climax contains no viable sperm.

I pulled this from wikipedia

"Coitus interruptus
Coitus interruptus (literally "interrupted sex"), also known as the withdrawal method, is the practice of ending sexual intercourse ("pulling out") before ejaculation. The main risk of coitus interruptus is that the man may not make the maneuver in time. Although concern has been raised about the risk of pregnancy from sperm in pre-ejaculate, several small studies[1][2] have failed to find any viable sperm in the fluid."

where did you read otherwise?

Bravo_2

Okay, I posted this in another thread, and I think I just need reassurance. I had sex with my girlfriend about 3 times this month (less than a week after her period ended, about 2.5 weeks into it, and then 3.5 weeks into it, I think) and she thinks she has her periods on the 10th... it is the 13th now and she hasn't had it. I wore a condom each time, applied it correctly, avoided all the stuff you need to avoid, and pulled out before ejac. She has had quite a few issues during the past month including, but not limited to:
-Large family issues
-We broke up at the beginning of the month (heh, whoops... we got back together though)
-Long work hours
-Summer classes
-Watched Knocked Up (good movie, but makes girls flip)
However, when she talks she doesn't seem like she is too stressed right now. She freaked once on the 10th, when she thought she was supposed to have it - I've been real uncomfortable since (I know it hasn't been a week late yet, but still). Would anyone recommend a HPT or just wait it out?

Edit: After this, I am just going to wait until she gets on BC because her paranoia definitely affects my life. She also refuses to talk about it with me, which is another problem. Makes me think she is hiding something - even though I know she isn't. I guess she just doesn't want to panic.

Last edited by Bravo_2; 06-13-2007 at 12:44 AM..

Arjuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjh View Post
Loose Cannon:

I am a tad bothered after reading Withdrawl, because I have read that anything short of ejaculation at climax contains no viable sperm.

I pulled this from wikipedia

"Coitus interruptus
Coitus interruptus (literally "interrupted sex"), also known as the withdrawal method, is the practice of ending sexual intercourse ("pulling out") before ejaculation. The main risk of coitus interruptus is that the man may not make the maneuver in time. Although concern has been raised about the risk of pregnancy from sperm in pre-ejaculate, several small studies[1][2] have failed to find any viable sperm in the fluid."

where did you read otherwise?

As far as I've been able to tell, the "precum contains sperm" bit was included in an early sexual health text and has been parroted by most subsequent texts. The only studies I could find on the issue in the literature are small and cursory and therefore not very conclusive. Anatomically and physiologically, it doesn't make much sense that pre-ejaculate would routinely have viable sperm in it but it is possible (particularly if the person has not urinated since their last ejaculation), and further study is required to nail down the details.

In any case, even if precum rarely contains viable sperm, it is still a shit birth control method. The timing has to be right every time to minimize the chances of pregnancy, particularly when you consider that the bulk of the sperm in semen is ejected in that very first bit of ejaculate.

Arjuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo_2 View Post
Okay, I posted this in another thread, and I think I just need reassurance. I had sex with my girlfriend about 3 times this month (less than a week after her period ended, about 2.5 weeks into it, and then 3.5 weeks into it, I think) and she thinks she has her periods on the 10th... it is the 13th now and she hasn't had it. I wore a condom each time, applied it correctly, avoided all the stuff you need to avoid, and pulled out before ejac. She has had quite a few issues during the past month including, but not limited to:
-Large family issues
-We broke up at the beginning of the month (heh, whoops... we got back together though)
-Long work hours
-Summer classes
-Watched Knocked Up (good movie, but makes girls flip)
However, when she talks she doesn't seem like she is too stressed right now. She freaked once on the 10th, when she thought she was supposed to have it - I've been real uncomfortable since (I know it hasn't been a week late yet, but still). Would anyone recommend a HPT or just wait it out?

Edit: After this, I am just going to wait until she gets on BC because her paranoia definitely affects my life. She also refuses to talk about it with me, which is another problem. Makes me think she is hiding something - even though I know she isn't. I guess she just doesn't want to panic.

Get a pregnancy test so you can both stop worrying. From that scenario it sounds like you did not have any BC failures and thus her chances of pregnancy are extremely low.

Bravo_2

Quote:
Get a pregnancy test so you can both stop worrying. From that scenario it sounds like you did not have any BC failures and thus her chances of pregnancy are extremely low.

She's always afraid to take one. I'll try to convince her.

cjh
I won at iSketch and all i got was this shitty title

Quote:
In any case, even if precum rarely contains viable sperm, it is still a shit birth control method. The timing has to be right every time to minimize the chances of pregnancy, particularly when you consider that the bulk of the sperm in semen is ejected in that very first bit of ejaculate.

agreed - of course it's not reliable by any measure of the word. I've been dumb and wreckless enough to do it with my girlfriend a couple of times (that sort of ideal can describe my whole life), but I have pulled out successfully all of those times. I know that it only takes one time to get timing wrong, or overestimate myself and spurt in the wrong place.