General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

IcW@teR
Ice Cool

yea looks like that Ferrari red, that i always find orangish looking. i prefer a more blood red. but i hate yellow cars too

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
Get your eyes checked, old guy. It's just a shade darker than the red that Chebby put on C5 vettes.

My eyes are real good there, boudreax.

It's either your camera, my display (iPwnd), or a combination of both.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

Jehannum

After wet sanding and polishing (oh yeah, put the glass back in, too):

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

IcW@teR
Ice Cool

Hmmm on my phone doesn't look orangish at all. Looks good

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Now shooting for 100PSI?

Grazehell

Quote:
After wet sanding and polishing (oh yeah, put the glass back in, too):

This shit looks like red now!

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazehell View Post
This shit looks like red now!

Amazing what lighting can do for a color.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

TomL

If only I had the facilities and skills for body work!

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

The older i get and the more I learn the less worthwhile it seems to fuck around with old cars.

Most people I know with ambitious car projects end up spending more time and money dealing with it than they would have buying something newer and all around better. Usually it's because it's a labor of love, and a large overestimation of available finances as well as human lifespan. Either shit never gets done, or by the time it does the owner is 50 and has to/wants to sell it due to shifting interests, kids in college, life in general....

Sacrilegious on a car forum, i know. Oh well

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post
The older i get and the more I learn the less worthwhile it seems to fuck around with old cars.

Most people I know with ambitious car projects end up spending more time and money dealing with it then they would have buying something newer and all around better. Usually it's because it's a labor of love, and a large overestimation of human lifespan figures into it also. Way too many permanent projects in this world.

Sacrilegious on a car forum, i know. Oh well

"Better" is subjective, and some of us care more about the process than the project.

For example, I build model rockets. I put a lot of effort into build and finish, and at least half the time, the bastards end up as a smoldering pile. Those are no great loss to me though, because my enjoyment comes from the building more than it does the flying.

The car is much the same way - I'll probably ding the paint just pulling it out of the shop, but the satisfaction of doing it myself is worth the time. Plus, I'm not investing a whole lot of time in it - I do maybe 10 hours a month. I've got a Masters degree to finish, 2 crotchfruits to raise, and a full time job to satisfy.

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:
"Better" is subjective, and some of us care more about the process than the project.

For example, I build model rockets. I put a lot of effort into build and finish, and at least half the time, the bastards end up as a smoldering pile. Those are no great loss to me though, because my enjoyment comes from the building more than it does the flying.

The car is much the same way - I'll probably ding the paint just pulling it out of the shop, but the satisfaction of doing it myself is worth the time. Plus, I'm not investing a whole lot of time in it - I do maybe 10 hours a month. I've got a Masters degree to finish, 2 crotchfruits to raise, and a full time job to satisfy.

Yea i get that. It's a trade off between the joy of working on it and the joy of actually driving the thing.

And doesn't that suck - when a car is new or newly redone you KNOW it's only going to get worse with every trip New dings behind a gravel truck, some fat fucker squeezing into his car next to yours rubs his jean rivets on your door, the buckle of some chick's purse sliding against your fender, etc....

I want to be rich damnit, so none of that shit bothers me and i can be more excited about my upcoming new car, than angry about my old one going to shit.

gribly

I'm kind of the same way with my firearms. I guess I like rebuilding, cleaning, and tuning them as much as I do firing them. Once I have a gun with the trigger just right, feeding perfect, grouping good, and sighted in I tend to leave it in the safe and not mess with it much after that. I have one that I've never even fired.

I think a big part of it is I sold my 4x4 and drive a civic. I used to take my guns with me when I went wheeling, and target practice was what I did about the halfway mark of an adventure. Can't really do that exploring roads, lol.

Tex Arcana

Quote:
crotchfruits

--John Hobbs

Tex Arcana

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post
Yea i get that. It's a trade off between the joy of working on it and the joy of actually driving the thing.

And doesn't that suck - when a car is new or newly redone you KNOW it's only going to get worse with every trip New dings behind a gravel truck, some fat fucker squeezing into his car next to yours rubs his jean rivets on your door, the buckle of some chick's purse sliding against your fender, etc....

I want to be rich damnit, so none of that shit bothers me and i can be more excited about my upcoming new car, than angry about my old one going to shit.

So you clear it with PlastiDip Glossifier, and run it up to a nice glossy sheen. That way, it's always protected, and if it ever gets damaged, you peel and respray.

--John Hobbs

Jehannum

Had some scheduling issues (also, had some issues with the hatch that I wanted to take care of), and didn't get back to work until today.

Base coat on the spoiler and the fascia

After the appropriate amount of clear coat (mist in the air is clear that hasn't been evacuated by the exhaust fan yet):