General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Deals and Steals
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Stereodude

WTB: i7-2600k ≥5.0gHz with ≤1.4V Vcore (on Air)

The i7-2600k that I have now is a bit of an overclocking dud that won't run stable @ 4.5gHz with 1.4V doing x264 video compression in my GA-P67A-UD3P-B3 + Cooler Master Hyper Plus 212. Rather than buying multiple i7-2600k's from Microcenter one at a time, testing them all, keeping the fastest one, and selling the rest, I'd rather just pay a bit more up front and skip the hassle. So as the subject says I'm looking to buy a i7-2600k that will do at least 5.0gHz on air with a Vcore of 1.4V or less. I will want proof that the chip is 100% stable at those settings.

And, to give some price guidance since I hate nebulous WTB threads where you've got no idea what someone is willing to pay, I'm willing to pay up to $350'ish depending on what the chip can do at a max Vcore of 1.4V.

PM me or reply if you have such a chip you're willing to part with and what you want for it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Stereodude

After doing a lot of digging and research it seems like what I'm after probably isn't possible though I thought I read that Intel estimated some small percentage of 2600k's could do 5.0gHz without any Vcore adjustments. I'll leave this here and see what happens, but it seems like even if 5.0gHz @ 1.4V is possible, nobody with one is going to give it up in the price range I'm after.

fullvietFX

Mine can do that but I'm not looking to sell, you'll probably have better luck when Bulldozer and Ivy Bridge comes out. Also that cooler isn't very good, it's good if you're on a budget but that's about it. I'm using a Corsair H70 with Noctua NF-P12's on the lowest setting.

Fiah
Sinds ik als transseksuele prostituee bezig ben, heb ik mezelf eindelijk leren accepteren. PM me voo

Yeah blowing $350 on a CPU while sticking with a $15 cooler, I'm not so sure. Granted, you're not going to get much more performance out of just air .

Stereodude

Yeah, but I can blow $50 on a new cooler and gain maybe 100MHz? Buying a new CPU and selling the old one might cost me $100 when it's all said and done, but I'd gain a more than 200MHz making the dollars per MHz lower.

However, I'd still take a look at a better cooler if you've got suggestions.

fullvietFX

I'm not sure how comparable the Zalman 9900A is to the 212+ but I was only able to get 4.6GHz on 1.35V with it. After I upgraded to the H70 I hit 5GHz. I'm running an ASUS P8P67 Deluxe.

fullvietFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiah View Post
Yeah blowing $350 on a CPU while sticking with a $15 cooler, I'm not so sure. Granted, you're not going to get much more performance out of just air .

All of the high-end coolers are significantly cooler than the 212+.

Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullvietFX View Post
I'm not sure how comparable the Zalman 9900A is to the 212+ but I was only able to get 4.6GHz on 1.35V with it. After I upgraded to the H70 I hit 5GHz. I'm running an ASUS P8P67 Deluxe.
What were/are your temps with each?

Fiah
Sinds ik als transseksuele prostituee bezig ben, heb ik mezelf eindelijk leren accepteren. PM me voo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullvietFX View Post
All of the high-end coolers are significantly cooler than the 212+.

Significantly being about 10C tops, I guess. That's going to get you a few 100mhz. You'll have to a lot closer to ambient if you really want to get things rolling, which means something like a 2x120mm watercooling setup at the least.

Syk0tiK
Mongoloidal cunt of Lindsay Lohan proportions who can't fathom the rules. <3 Sarah

Why not just go watercooling, you could probably get away with at least 4.8ghz on your current chip, plus it will be alot cheaper.

And who cares about vcore? If the chip can do 5.0ghz at 1.55v and its stable, who gives a fuck? Its not like you are going to be running this chip for 10+ years.

edplayer
no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
After doing a lot of digging and research it seems like what I'm after probably isn't possible though I thought I read that Intel estimated some small percentage of 2600k's could do 5.0gHz without any Vcore adjustments.

I remember Kyle from HardOCP saying that someone at Intel told him about 2~3% can do that. But that is at stock voltage and you are increasing it so why does it matter?

and what kind of temps were you getting (also what were the ambient temps and what case are you using)?

[QUOTE=g|aSsJaw;25381666]I'm not going to go back and forth with you about it all night, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

Fiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syk0tiK View Post
Why not just go watercooling, you could probably get away with at least 4.8ghz on your current chip, plus it will be alot cheaper.

And who cares about vcore? If the chip can do 5.0ghz at 1.55v and its stable, who gives a fuck? Its not like you are going to be running this chip for 10+ years.

1.55v is a very high vcore for modern processors, I wouldn't want to run that in my personal desktop because it might very well cook itself within the year.

Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syk0tiK View Post
I did the watercooling thing before. I'm not sure I want to do it again.
Quote:
I do since there are reports of people cooking them over 1.4V and they haven't even been out 6 months yet. Plus, what I'm doing can keep the processor at 100% for >24 hours straight. Just because some people are running >1.4V successfully doesn't mean >1.4V & my usage patterns are a good combination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edplayer View Post
I remember Kyle from HardOCP saying that someone at Intel told him about 2~3% can do that. But that is at stock voltage and you are increasing it so why does it matter?
My 2600k stock voltage (VID) is at 4.3gHz already 1.3611V. It's not stable at 4.4gHz even with 1.4V, so I'm not actually increasing the voltage over stock in my 2600k. I thought there were reports of chips frying that were run over 1.4V hence my interest to stop there.
Quote:
and what kind of temps were you getting (also what were the ambient temps and what case are you using)?
Temps were right around 60C. Ambient was about 22C.

edplayer
no

Have you found one yet?

There is a guy on ebay that sells overclocked 2600K which he guarantees and seems to test thoroughly. He guarantees them at ~1.45V though. That is a more realistic expectation for what you are willing to pay. I think someone that had one that could do it at 1.4 or less would want substantially more than $350.

[QUOTE=g|aSsJaw;25381666]I'm not going to go back and forth with you about it all night, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

Fiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
I did the watercooling thing before. I'm not sure I want to do it again.

How about off-the-shelf sealed watercooling?

http://www.corsair.com/cooling/hydro...pu-cooler.html

Granted, it probably won't do much better than your air cooling.