General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othersider
That, or it'll make poor people stop driving. I'd like that...

Mmmm... streets free of primered Civics and rusting Cougars...

Civics get good milage, so MORE people would be driving those.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Othersider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano
Civics get good milage, so MORE people would be driving those.

At first, yes. But as it gets more expensive, the efficiency won't be enough to offset the price of gas. And people who can afford gas when it gets up there don't want to be inside Civics. Perhaps this will be the rise of the Mercedes A-class, but I suspect the much-less-populated streets will be a haven for large luxury sedans and SUVs.

BBnet3000
<ABlix> I WANTED TO BE WITH HER

Quote:
At first, yes. But as it gets more expensive, the efficiency won't be enough to offset the price of gas. And people who can afford gas when it gets up there don't want to be inside Civics. Perhaps this will be the rise of the Mercedes A-class, but I suspect the much-less-populated streets will be a haven for large luxury sedans and SUVs.
the bourgeoisie

Phoenix '97
Hai guiz I'm the reigning mizz gai

No complaints from me, I live about a 20 minutes' walk from either of my jobs, and even though the university is all the way across town, the bus will get me there in under an hour - a good time is 45 minutes. I can use that time to read something, or, more often, sleep. It's at most a two minute walk between my house and the bus stop, as well as the bus stop at the university and the closest building. I wouldn't be saving much time at all if I had a car.

djduquet
i am no longer low profile. also, i would like to bring to your attention that i am currently naked

So hereís the thing:

Iíll use my parents as an exampleÖ

They spend all this money working so hard at their middle class life, buy big trucks and SUVs, then bitch when they have to spend 60 bucks each time they go to fill up (at least once a week).

This blows me away. Right now I have a 1990 Honda Accord with 294,000 mi on it. My father offered to buy me a 1998 Pontiac Grand Am (V6). I turned him down. One of the reasons was I hate the Tupperware interior of American automobiles, but thatís just my like in autos. The main reason was, however, fuel. With my old Honda I get 28 mpg city and 32 highway. Thatís great for such an old car. In fact, thatís great for most new cars.

I donít understand the American fixation for SUVs. This just goes to show I donít belong here. For the most part, I truly do not understand my own culture. I donít like how so many people insist on having such large, ugly, and poorly built homes. I donít like the mass produced homes that dot the American landscape. I like my old home. It was built in 1945, and is awesome. It has a mild amount of character, history, and above all, is very nice.

Our ever demanding request to move out from the city and expand leaves the ability of public transportation stretched like a rubber band. We are simply too spread out for transportation like there is in Europe. I find this sad. Yet why not get a hybrid? You say horsepower? Well in America, the speeds are crazy slow, so whatís the need? There really isnít. I love driving around my uncles Prius.

Ultimately it comes down to making your own life decision. I wonít put a bumper sticker on my car that says ďsave mother earth.Ē Instead, I try to live the best life I can. Now I still drive an older car, but Iím at university and canít afford a new Prius. However, you can very well bet that when I do manage to make enough money, it will be spent on the most economically viable transportation alternative available.

Droid Does

Nano

Quote:

erm.

Ok, plenty of poor people drive cars that get 10-12 miles per gallon, or less. Right? right.

Ok, say gas went up to 5.00 a gallon. Your civic driver gets 30ish miles to the gallon, thats the equivalent of paying 1.67 per gallon in their old car, which most people with jobs can afford. I drive a jeep. the more gas rises, the more incentive i have to buy a new honda, and im saving every penny i can towards that goal.

Postal Blowshit
Postal Blowfish
Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbgirlie
You're post seems to be a bitch about a company in particular. I'm bitching about commuting in general and you don't reside in the US.

I have an idea for you: vehicles that don't use gas. Dizzying concept, right?

How about a bike? That'd help you get into shape, too!

Postal Blowshit
Postal Blowfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusnova
20 miles is seriously nothing, ive biked that far just for the hell of it thousands of times.

It's easier to call someone a punk and be a good little sheep and drop a fiver onto a counter for your round trip to work than it is to put down the twinkies and get your fat ass on a bike and do something constructive for a change.

I don't blame em. It's hard to be different sometimes.

Postal Blowshit
Postal Blowfish

Quote:
try doing that in texas, and looking presentable. I dare you.

sweaty+++

Bah. This one has a point. But Texas is the only state I know of where this is a good point, and frankly - if you live in texas, you got bigger problems than gas prices. Like deciding on a place outside of the armpit of the nation to live instead of Texas.

If I can do it, anyone can.

Postal Blowshit
Postal Blowfish

Quote:
I think you misunderstand the level of sweat im talking here. Texas = humid, plus hot, which = massive amounts of sweat. and even if you wipe yourself off with a towel, and change clothes ( not taking into consideration the waste that this in and of itself causes ), you'll still look like shit, and probably smell like a gym.

Sure, somewhere temperate its fine, but not in fuckin texas.

He's right. In summer, just leaving your home to go to your car will cover you in humidity and sweat. Most days even driving I didn't get to work without some serious sweat.

dmbgirlie
pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal Blowfish
I have an idea for you: vehicles that don't use gas. Dizzying concept, right?

How about a bike? That'd help you get into shape, too!

I'm 5"2' and a hundred lbs... haven't we been through this before? And I live 19 miles from work. I guess if I got started on my cycle route, at 5 mph, I could get there in about 4 hours, which would put my work day at 4 hours there, 8 hours in the office and 4 hours to get home, what is that? 16 hours. That would give me 8 hours of home and family time - how generous. Do you think it's possible that I can get some sleep somewhere along the way?

Go blow yourself Mr. Fish. I don't need to get into shape, I'm just voicing my frustration over gas prices in this country that other countries really should care less about. It's not your concern, so now you should shut the fuck up.

dmbgirlie
pwned

Quote:
He's right. In summer, just leaving your home to go to your car will cover you in humidity and sweat. Most days even driving I didn't get to work without some serious sweat.

And I quoted you just a few moments ago regarding a bicycle ride to work?

YOU'RE a serious fucking nutcase!

Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbgirlie
And I quoted you just a few moments ago regarding a bicycle ride to work?

YOU'RE a serious fucking nutcase!

Quote:
Bah. This one has a point. But Texas is the only state I know of where this is a good point, and frankly - if you live in texas, you got bigger problems than gas prices. Like deciding on a place outside of the armpit of the nation to live instead of Texas.

If I can do it, anyone can.

learn to read, ya dumb OMGOMGOMGOMG.

djduquet
i am no longer low profile. also, i would like to bring to your attention that i am currently naked

Iím all for the biking thing. My experiences in the world are this: America is VASTLY different from Europe. Distances from where one lives and work can be between 20-50 miles. You canít bike there in good weather. Most of the time (where I live now) there is too much snow, or too much rain for that to be a safe alternative. America isnít set up for it either. The streets are to over-run with poor drivers, and the side walks are seriously lacking. The people who do live close enough to work to bike should take advantage. The simple fact of the matter is, doing so is not a realistic thing to fit into American culture. Yes. Most of the country needs to loose some weight. However, biking the 20 miles to work/school/whatever isnít going to cut it chap.

Droid Does

dmbgirlie
pwned

Quote:
learn to read, ya dumb OMGOMGOMGOMG.

You're irritating me - quit following me around.