General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

I agree and I wouldn't have tried it. It's an old "dealer trick" to free up stuck lifters or something, not for meine liebe

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post
I know it has detergents, I didn't see him mention ATF before though.

Someone I know had an E30 that burned a lot of oil and he was planning on a rebuild. Turns out he was using 0w20. Everything went to normal when he switched to the factory weight. durr lol

That's an old trick.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

[QUOTE=DopefishLives;25168494]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopefishlives
Additionally, a VW friend insisted we use a quart of ATF with the oil to help flush/clean the oil system; then change it after a bit of idling with synth. oil. I'm not a fan of this solution and after some research on the properties of ATF, it seems like it was a waste of time. Car now has full-synthetic with no other additives or ATF shenanigans.[/quote

I wouldn't suggest it -- although it did seem to dissolve more contaminants into the drained oil, I don't think the mess (oil past seals) was worth the fuss and worry.

Marvel Mystery Oil works well, there are other specialized detergents as well.

My father-in-law always swore by Berryman's B12 Chemtool, and would dump a can in the oil before a flush, and run it for about 30 minutes at idle and hot, before changing the oil. His motors were always clean and lasted damn near forever.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~