General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gribly View Post
It's gonna look funny in a few months though, won't it?

Yeah, planning for another sanding + painting when it warms up a bit. The hood is in orange-peel-hell.

I am a bit concerned about the longevity, but only time will tell.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

theWITNESS

The honda paintjob doesn't look half bad at all. Still running my deck?

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWITNESS View Post
The honda paintjob doesn't look half bad at all. Still running my deck?

Yep! It's still going strong. Got a pair of Alpine SPR-60's for the doors, it does a decent job of driving them.

Thermo1223

I must say I expected far worse.

That S4 is 70% CLEAN
Range - GTFO god :rolleyes:

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

CEL popped on tonight...will pull code tomorrow evening. Hopefully it'll shed some light on the problem

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
Yup. and the stock ones have a tendency to rip the diaphragm inside.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng21.shtml

get a couple of these: http://www.goapr.com/products/r1.html

Friend said hed read that you can buy the bosch units used in 911 turbos... Wondering if that would be cheaper. He read that these things go out every 15k.

He did say (and I kind of agree) it seems like the noise his car makes occurs during spooling rather than after letting off the throttle. Sounds like they're a wear item that should be swapped anyway though.

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post
Friend said hed read that you can buy the bosch units used in 911 turbos... Wondering if that would be cheaper. He read that these things go out every 15k.

He did say (and I kind of agree) it seems like the noise his car makes occurs during spooling rather than after letting off the throttle. Sounds like they're a wear item that should be swapped anyway though.

Yeah, I had the bosch ones for a while too. IIRC they were like $40 each at the parts counter.

if the noise is when the turbos are spooling, it might be a turbo about to fail. strange spool noises was one of the telltale signs.

That's when gearheads would use the turbo replacement as an excuse to upgrade because the stock turbos are like 6k and a K04 upgrade kit was like 10k.

I hope your friend is a good mechanic.

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post
Hey, good to see the old civic still alive. When are you swapping for b18c5

When he sucks dick for it.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post

Why don't you just admit it, and tell you you bought that abomination; and the friend you sold the civic of dumb to painted it, and did better than you ever could.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
Why don't you just admit it, and tell you you bought that abomination; and the friend you sold the civic of dumb to painted it, and did better than you ever could.

Hah, no. He's just unable (or unwilling) to seek help on the internet himself.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
Yeah, I had the bosch ones for a while too. IIRC they were like $40 each at the parts counter.

if the noise is when the turbos are spooling, it might be a turbo about to fail. strange spool noises was one of the telltale signs.

That's when gearheads would use the turbo replacement as an excuse to upgrade because the stock turbos are like 6k and a K04 upgrade kit was like 10k.

I hope your friend is a good mechanic.

Yeah he's definitely capable of getting it done, I'm just not sure he's prepared to "pay to play" in this situation. He's tried this before, having a daily driver, having a project car. He thinks up these elaborate, impractical, costly plans in his head then the project car just ends up sitting for months and he gets rid of it. This time, the car that was supposed to be his DD is soon going to be immobile. He's either going to have to get his Subaru running (needs a rebuild or an engine swap) or he's going to have to devote a ***lot*** more time and money to the S4... Or he'll be Huffying it for a while..

Last edited by GhEttOrAiD; 01-15-2013 at 10:07 AM..

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Your brother or something?

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

P1136

refers to some kind of lean condition and people seem to have accompanying vacuum leaks/hissing, but they're still building a lot more boost than my friend is

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post
Your brother or something?

Nah, friend from high school.

Thermo1223

First step is to just go over every pipe in the engine bay, intake, vacuum.
Range - GTFO god :rolleyes:

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo1223 View Post
First step is to just go over every pipe in the engine bay, intake, vacuum.

Yeah, he's been doing that actually. Though, rather than replacing hoses he's sort of reinforcing them with electrical tape.. He found a puddle of oil on top of what I think is the drivers' side lower control arm that seems to be building steadily.

He now also has a triangular box with an exclamation point popping up on the dash.

Snowballing into kind of a disaster. He's committed to doing this subaru engine swap first for whatever reason

Last edited by GhEttOrAiD; 01-18-2013 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: .