General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Coqui

Anyone good with Access?

I'm trying to create a database for a daily checklist on server health. I have the general thing all set up, but I'm trying to work on making it more efficient.

Basically, I have a date, server name, and certain aspects of health levels plus an action taken column.

What I need help with is setting it up, so that when I do a new day of entries, the entire server list is populated as well as the date, and everything else is manually filled out. The premise behind this is so that I can also get a report on a day previously entered so that the data can be verified.

I've been trying for a week to figure something out, but can't seem to get something working properly on that.

I currently have three tables. Servers (which just contains the names of the servers themselves) DailyCheck (which is all the information that gets populated) and Answers (which for the pulldown list for the health aspects is listed)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

U Caught The Gay

Maybe you could just try using a monitoring system like System Center Operations Manager or Spiceworks?

If you insist on using access (this is a retarded idea) use the form designer and do everything through the form. If you inisist on using access but don't want the pitfalls you can use SharePoint with Infopath.

Be more efficient, automate that shit! If you don't somebody else will come in and take your job claiming you're org is stuck in the 90s.

Coqui

This isn't for maintaining system health. We already use OpManager for that.

This is more for verification that systems are being checked. (i.e. being requested by executive management)

RazorWind

This does seem like a pointless task if you've got something monitoring this stuff already. Is there anyway that OpManager can generate a log periodically? Maybe a PHP script and a cron job to interrogate it or something?

Anyway, to answer your question:

1. Set up a foreign key relationship on the DailyCheck table from the server field to the Server table's PK
2. Set up a foreign key relationship from the health field on the DailyCheck table to the Answers table.
3. To initialize the date column, you have a number of options, but thinking in enterprise class SQL Server terms, using a trigger makes the most sense to me. There may be an easier way to do this.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...003085415.aspx

Then set up a stored query (usually called a "view" in database parlance) that selects the columns you want by joining on the two foreign key relationships. As I recall, it adds the join operations for you if you use the designer.

Coqui

Sadly OpManager only reports one item at a time and you can't create a report that shows everything I need (You would have to make one for each category I'm checking)

I've already done the 3 steps you mentioned, what I was looking for was a way to automate the population of the server column for each row when I start up a new day. As it stands right now, I have a pull down menu and I have to select the server in each row. Not only is that tedious, but there's a possibility of error too.

RazorWind

How about this:

INSERT INTO [DailyCheck] ([serverPK], [datestamp]) SELECT [serverPK], DATE() FROM [servers]

Then, edit the records returned by this query:

SELECT * FROM DailyCheck WHERE [datestamp] = DATE()

Obviously, that only works if you actually update this the day of, but you can replace the Date() function with an arbitrary date if you need to do this retroactively.

Edit: You can use a join on that query and it's still editable in access, if you want to display the hostnames or something instead of just the arbitrary PKs.