General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Atma Weapon

Subwoofer/amplifier combo - sub not working

Right now I'm just testing it out with an iPod connected through the AUX output. I am getting sound from the speakers that are connected to it but getting nothing from the subwoofer itself. I tried different cable connections and playing around with the bass adjustment on the front but I'm still not getting anything. Is there something I'm missing?

I bought this used and before I paid for it I had the guy demonstrate to me that it does work, which is why I feel like there's something simple that I'm just not seeing. Of course the guy is ignoring my calls now

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Atma Weapon

More info: It's some no name Korean brand (I live in Korea) "OXBRIDGE CS-690FICTION 5.1 Wooden Woofer Speaker". The sub IS the receiver - I just realized I confused receiver with amplifier in the thread title. When the guy I bought it from tested it out for me he didn't have any of the speakers plugged into the sub/receiver, and it had sound and bass. When I tried it w/o the speakers I got some low-volume sound (volume turned all the way up) coming out of it but no bass. There's no set-up menu or remote, so if the answer isn't a simple one it looks like somehow this thing broke in between the time I bought it and brought it home.

Typhoon43

I can;t see the aux input NOT being full range, but for giggles, plug your inputs into the 5.1 section marked SUB and see if you only get rumbling ot basss notes to music.

Atma Weapon

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon43 View Post
I can;t see the aux input NOT being full range, but for giggles, plug your inputs into the 5.1 section marked SUB and see if you only get rumbling ot basss notes to music.

I took the cable from the iPod from the AUX and plugged it into the INPUT front right and left speaker inputs, where it also works. When I try plugging the red or white plugs from the FRONT-R or FRONT-L into the BASS input the subwoofer starts working, not just for bass but also has sound coming out of it, acting as both a subwoofer and a speaker. So now the only problem with this setup is I only have one (either front left or front right) speaker working when the sub is active. How can I set it up so I have both the speakers and the sub working?

G-Daddy
I love my mother. No, I REALLY love her. In the butt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atma Weapon View Post
It's some no name Korean brand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atma Weapon View Post

LIAR!
1ccff0ae11de8623189c9693877fcddf

Atma Weapon

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Daddy View Post
LIAR!

What, you don't think Korea imports all their cheap shit from China like we (in the US) do?

Atma Weapon

It's working now but I had to buy a Y-connector cable similar to this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Tsunami-RCA701...g=hardfocom-20

Now I have the audio cable coming from my laptop with the Y-connector to add an extra male connection. It seems like such a strange design that it would require something like that. Has anyone seen something like this before?

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Did you make your little stereo into mono?

I have no idea what you did or why it's not working but for the future stick to things with real brands, or at the very least things that have specifications. For example if I asked you what the range of that "subwoofer" is you'd have no clue. And for the record it's not a subwoofer. It's a woofer that should come on both right and left speakers.

A subwoofer plays lower than a woofer, hence the name.

Atma Weapon

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Did you make your little stereo into mono?

I have no idea what you did or why it's not working but for the future stick to things with real brands, or at the very least things that have specifications. For example if I asked you what the range of that "subwoofer" is you'd have no clue. And for the record it's not a subwoofer. It's a woofer that should come on both right and left speakers.

A subwoofer plays lower than a woofer, hence the name.

I have no idea what I did either. In the US I normally would buy a legit brand and be willing to spend the extra $, but I'm only going to be here for another 11-17 months so I just wanted to get something cheap. I only paid ~$30 for the whole setup.

Occasionally I get some crackle sounds, would that have anything to do with how it's hooked up? Is there anything I should worry about having it hooked up like this? Here's a pic if my previous description was a bit confusing:

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

What you're doing is playing the left chanel through the sub and the right chanel through both your speakers as mono.

That's waaaay wrong

The 5.1 connections have a separate sub channel, as you see, and you don't have that; only left and right. There is no elegant way to bridge your stereo all into that hole and still keep it separated for the speakers. Your pic # 1 looks correct but if you can't get the "sub" to play then something is wrong or you didn't change the settings/input mode correctly.

Atma Weapon

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
What you're doing is playing the left chanel through the sub and the right chanel through both your speakers as mono.

That's waaaay wrong

The 5.1 connections have a separate sub channel, as you see, and you don't have that; only left and right. There is no elegant way to bridge your stereo all into that hole and still keep it separated for the speakers. Your pic # 1 looks correct but if you can't get the "sub" to play then something is wrong or you didn't change the settings/input mode correctly.

Well as far as I can tell there's nothing I can do except for how it's set up now. I don't have the remote that came with it, but even if I did it doesn't look like there would be any way to change anything. Scroll down for pics of the remote:

http://www.brainbox.co.kr/newproduct...dy.asp?idx=211

Edit: I guess maybe I could try the 2.1/5.1 button on the remote if I had one? I will have to look into seeing if I can get one through the manufacturer.

Atma Weapon

Girlfriend tried calling the manufacturer today to see if I could order the remote...line's been disconnected

gee
MY TITLE ISNT LONG ENOUGH

You might be able to control that thing with a Logitech Harmony remote - I have a Harmony that's about 8 years old and I'm surprised what I can find codes for on their website.

Though a similar set of craptastic computer speakers will probably cost less than a remote.

Atma Weapon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
You might be able to control that thing with a Logitech Harmony remote - I have a Harmony that's about 8 years old and I'm surprised what I can find codes for on their website.

Though a similar set of craptastic computer speakers will probably cost less than a remote.

Yeah, I paid ~$30 for these speakers, probably 1/4 the cost of one of those remotes...