General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

wow the LX is sloooooow.. 11.7 0-60 SC n2b though at 7, yours should be in the 5 range?

balance shafts

i forgot about the xr7, they are the same then huh. My friend's dad had one when we were in HS, he was a DEA and used his own car iirc, we thought it was pretty bad ass - all black with aluminum wheels

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Colonel Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
never seen that presenter that young, his style hasn't changed at all lol. If clarkson is the charlie sheen of autojournalism, he's the ben stein?

Lmao yeah that guy is definitely the Ben stein of car show presenters. But yes the 89-93 sc's and xr7s were quick for their day but dogs by today's standards. Like 15.3 @ 93ish stock... The 94 95 ones were a good bit quicker because of the better blower, more aggressive trans gears etc.

Mine should be good for like high 12s, 13 flat at 110. I talked to the builder again today and he told me he ended up putting a custom grind cam in because the comp stage 1 cam is basically too mild. Also upgraded injectors again to 60lb now. I'm getting pretty serious lol

[H]ard|On

60lb

Jeesh. That should give you some overhead for the future im guessing

gribly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders View Post
Lmao yeah that guy is definitely the Ben stein of car show presenters. But yes the 89-93 sc's and xr7s were quick for their day but dogs by today's standards. Like 15.3 @ 93ish stock... The 94 95 ones were a good bit quicker because of the better blower, more aggressive trans gears etc.

Mine should be good for like high 12s, 13 flat at 110. I talked to the builder again today and he told me he ended up putting a custom grind cam in because the comp stage 1 cam is basically too mild. Also upgraded injectors again to 60lb now. I'm getting pretty serious lol

No shit. I figured you would end up about on par with my Civic, but my shit is only good for mid14's. You're gonna upset a few modern car owners at stoplights, lmao. Keep those wheels, nobody will expect it at all!

[H]ard|On

it's def a sleeper, most tC/civic/rsx/3 series drivers today either never knew about these or have forgotten

DreamWarrior

Quote:

I remember when my dad laughed at me when I told him the Firebird I bought was faster than the '88 XR-7 I replaced with it. I really don't know how he thought the Firechicken was slower. The XR-7 was fun, and I guess I missed it since it was my first car, but man, once the nostalgia wore off I could admit it was a dog.

Colonel Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
I remember when my dad laughed at me when I told him the Firebird I bought was faster than the '88 XR-7 I replaced with it. I really don't know how he thought the Firechicken was slower. The XR-7 was fun, and I guess I missed it since it was my first car, but man, once the nostalgia wore off I could admit it was a dog.

An 88 XR-7 would be the 5.0 V8 which was a good bit slower than the SC 3.8

edit: lol, the 5.0 from 1988 in the XR7s made 155hp...

DreamWarrior

Quote:
An 88 XR-7 would be the 5.0 V8 which was a good bit slower than the SC 3.8

edit: lol, the 5.0 from 1988 in the XR7s made 155hp...
Yeah, heavy and slow. And my dad didn't really believe in maintaining vehicles, so by the time I bought it off them it had horrible problems with the engine, so it probably wasn't even making that much power. But, he still insisted it was faster than my new car...he was crazy, lol.

Colonel Sanders

FINALLY got word that it is going to the dyno on Monday...

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

blows up on the dyno

Colonel Sanders

gribly

That looks like a nice, solid power band. I'd prefer to see it peakier, but not everyone likes what I like.

DreamWarrior

Not too shabby -- how heavy is it, though? Cuz I'm not seeing high 12s in there if it's as heavy as I think it is (i.e. over 3400 lbs). According to R&T the 89 SC is about 3700 lbs...I'll give you the benefit of the doubt you shaved some, but it doesn't look like you gutted it.

Colonel Sanders

Nah you're right, it probably weighs somewhere around 3750 so there's not much chance of running a 12.xx but it should be plenty to run very very low 13's. And still maybe a 12 with a set of drag radials, but the axles are known to snap on these cars with a 5 speed and sticky tires with 300+ rwhp.

I'm quite happy though, it's enough to have fun with and occasionally surprise people

DreamWarrior

Quote:
Nah you're right, it probably weighs somewhere around 3750 so there's not much chance of running a 12.xx but it should be plenty to run very very low 13's. And still maybe a 12 with a set of drag radials, but the axles are known to snap on these cars with a 5 speed and sticky tires with 300+ rwhp.

I'm quite happy though, it's enough to have fun with and occasionally surprise people
Stick or auto? You've got such a broad torque curve that I can see dumping a clutch or stalling the hell outta the torque converter causing some breakage with that much weight to snap into motion.

Either way, I'm sure it's a blast with that torque shelf; pretty much mash from anywhere and you're off.