General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Jehannum

A GTO build update

At long last (only 5 years, lol), my father has acknowledged that we cannot do body work!

The GTO is now in a talented body man's capable hands. He's not going to deliver a turn-key package, but mechanically it will be finished from the window regulators out. I helped him tow the body off to the shop this morning. The frame will be joining the fray somewhat later, after the body man's done fixing the rockers and the mounts.

It'll be on us to put the interior back in and do the wiring (good thing, since I'm not planning on a subtle or original stereo). As soon as I'm done with projects for the semester, I'm going to lay out the harness and fix what needs fixing, and rejigger it for modern accessories (like A/C, relays for the lights, and a nice big alternator).

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Jehannum

For those of you who haven't followed my projects since the beginning of time, my father and I picked up a '67 GTO in '02, and stripped it with the intention of doing a frame-off resto.

Based on guidance from that one dude with the procharged 'velle on [H], I swapped the front end for a B-body setup and 12" disks, and swapped the disks from a WS-6 F-body (3rd gen) on to the rear. Also, he showed me why rubber bushings on a 4-link rear are better than poly, and which globalwest arms to use for the front.

The motor is a pontiac 400, bored .030" over, and stroked with a 455 crank (462" displacement), with roller cam and rockers, electronic (MSD) HEI, Ram Air 4 heads and manifolds, and probably way underaired and underfueled by a dog stock Rochester quadrajet.

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Honestly most of the time rubber bushings are better than poly for a street car. I guess for racing poly is a step that is often skipped straight to soild ones, leaving poly as some sort of ricer middle ground

No pics?

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

Why rejigger the original harness? Why not go with a kit from Painless Wiring?

Asa of the Infidel Crew

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post
Why rejigger the original harness? Why not go with a kit from Painless Wiring?

Because the harness connectors are all in excellent shape, on account of being soaked in oil from the original engine.

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Honestly most of the time rubber bushings are better than poly for a street car. I guess for racing poly is a step that is often skipped straight to soild ones, leaving poly as some sort of ricer middle ground

No pics?

I love the poly in my Z. There's deflection required in a 4-link setup that poly won't accommodate, though.

As for pics:

When we got it:

Muncie with a Hurst:

P&P head:

Roller valvetrain, Milodon oil pan, Edelbrock intake manifold, and ARP head studs:

HEI:

B-body front suspension:

12" disks up front:

11" disks in the back:

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

I call on that being your "father": the shop is too clean and perfect, and not a single refrigerator in the front yard in sight?

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
Because the harness connectors are all in excellent shape, on account of being soaked in oil from the original engine.

i'd be more concerned with corrosion inside the insulation, and the insulation itself
besides, that's still 40 year old wiring

Asa of the Infidel Crew

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post
i'd be more concerned with corrosion inside the insulation, and the insulation itself
besides, that's still 40 year old wiring

We're not talking about shit like modern wiring, where the insulation is soy and biodegradable. This shit is the real shit, made with CFCs and PCBs, and unlikely to disintegrate until the universe dies a heat death, kinda like the old big mac containers.

The wiring all looked fine in '06 when I pulled it out. I'll reassess when I get it up on the board, but keep in mind, I did the same with the 40 y/o wiring in my Datsun, and the 20 y/o wiring in my Nissan not too long ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
I call on that being your "father": the shop is too clean and perfect, and not a single refrigerator in the front yard in sight?

When have I ever had a refrigerator in my front yard? Is your Alzheimer's kicking in, and you're confusing me with someone else, you old chinless fuck?

At any rate, half of those were taken down at the machine shop. The frame shots and the transmission shot were at my folks' house.

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
We're not talking about shit like modern wiring, where the insulation is soy and biodegradable. This shit is the real shit, made with CFCs and PCBs, and unlikely to disintegrate until the universe dies a heat death, kinda like the old big mac containers.

The wiring all looked fine in '06 when I pulled it out. I'll reassess when I get it up on the board, but keep in mind, I did the same with the 40 y/o wiring in my Datsun, and the 20 y/o wiring in my Nissan not too long ago.
TSRH, old wiring is usually better than modern stuff, not only because of the insulation, but also because the copper inside it was higher quality and a tad thicker than the cheap chinee shit we're seeing these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTrashRedneckRicer
When have I ever had a refrigerator in my front yard? Is your Alzheimer's kicking in, and you're confusing me with someone else, you old chinless fuck?

At any rate, half of those were taken down at the machine shop. The frame shots and the transmission shot were at my folks' house.

Dude, that house you live in looks like it should have wheels, given the amount of junk in the yard and the 3-foot tall weeds all over the place!!

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

lol chinless fuck

Tex Arcana

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeawesome View Post
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart

At least I follow my own path in life, even if it's led by my diminutive chin.

--John Hobbs

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
Dude, that house you live in looks like it should have wheels, given the amount of junk in the yard and the 3-foot tall weeds all over the place!!

Excuse me?

Tex Arcana

Quote:
Excuse me?

Post the real pics, there, bubba... Of the back yard.

Besides, I think I see a fridge hiding behind one of those trees.

--John Hobbs

Jehannum

I don't have any recent ones of the back yard.

No refrigerators, toilets, vanities, or anything else but my lawn furniture out there, but I am in the middle of finishing a cedar closet (and fuck Lowe's for their shitty rendition of tongue in groove cedar planking, looking square at where your chin should be on that one), so there's a couple sawhorses and a chop saw out there at the moment.