General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
Have they fixed red car paint yet so it doesn't lighten and shed the clearcoat?

That was a problem with older waterborne clearcoats, and I'm not using a waterborne clearcoat, so I guess the answer is "yes".

Specifically, it was a problem with not allowing the waterborne coatings to properly cure (which means all the water evaporates). In New Mexico, where the relative humidity is about 3% on a good day, that's not an issue in the slightest. Plus, I have 2k clear coat, so it's not an overwhelming issue.

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

Last edited by Jehannum; 07-25-2012 at 07:36 AM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

gee
MY TITLE ISNT LONG ENOUGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
That was a problem with older waterborne clearcoats, and I'm not using a waterborne clearcoat, so I guess the answer is "yes".

Specifically, it was a problem with not allowing the waterborne coatings to properly cure (which means all the water evaporates). In New Mexico, where the relative humidity is about 3% on a good day, that's not an issue in the slightest. Plus, I have 2k clear coat, so it's not an overwhelming issue.
I always thought it was a bad batch of red paint sold to japanese carmakers in the 90s, but a co-worker's red 2004 Golf has the clearcoat peeling also. I only ever see it happening on red cars for some reason.

In other news, there's a black 280ZX Turbo in the company parking lot this morning. Gonna have to see who owns that...

Jehannum

The factory red on my Z never peeled like that.

In fact, if it weren't for some body damage that needs repair, I probably wouldn't even bother to shoot the whole thing.

But, I want to get rid of the rock guard texture on the lower part of the car, repair some badly done body work on the DS fender (previous owner), replace the spoiler, and repair a couple of divots in the hood that I caused with some T-bolt clamps, so there are enough panels involved that a full respray is pretty much the best option.

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Body damage? Whadyado?

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Body damage? Whadyado?

Uh:
1) some of the filler used in a repair from before I bought the car cracked (the plan is to either hammer and dolly the repair out and use less filler this time, or to buy a new fender)
2) I installed the T-bolt clamps for my intercooler hoses in the wrong orientation and punched two little domes in the hood ()
3) the stock spoiler was not sealed on the underside, and dry-rotted away
4) the dry-rot in the spoiler allowed it to hold some water after it cracked, so there's a tiny bit of rust repair on the hatch structure

In addition, the entire car below the striping is textured as a "rock guard". Basically, it's a horrible, mass application of orange peel. I'm sanding that off, and then using an etching primer on the new surface.

[H]ard|On

#2) -

I'd cry.

Does it look better without a spoiler? Im mixed about the E36. Since mine is already there it would be too much work to fill the holes. I recently found that my trunk latch on the trunk lid has broken it's rear mounting bracket (from being slammed too hard? E36 with spoilers get this issue more often) and started cracking out the sheet metal where the other two screws are. The rear mount is the structural one, so the thin sheet metal has no chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a random e36, prolly with a spoiler

There fix is to weld tab back on or buy a new latch, and then use a piece of metal over the cracked holes. Or buy a new trunk lid. I do like the carbon fiber ones Then I'd have to paint it and decide whether to use a spoiler or not. Naturally a CF hood would be bad ass too. The one I want is like 9 lbs. Compared to the 60+ lb stock hood that's pretty sweet. You should do it instead of fixing the old one!

Jehannum

Quote:
#2) -

I'd cry.

Oh, there were tears. I can't believe I was that dumb.

Quote:
Does it look better without a spoiler? Im mixed about the E36. Since mine is already there it would be too much work to fill the holes. I recently found that my trunk latch on the trunk lid has broken it's rear mounting bracket (from being slammed too hard? E36 with spoilers get this issue more often) and started cracking out the sheet metal where the other two screws are. The rear mount is the structural one, so the thin sheet metal has no chance.
I have in my shed what could be the very last NOS spoiler, still in the Nissan box. I certainly could trade it for the 3rd brake light panel off of an NA Z32 and then fill the mounting holes on the hatch, but this one's too good to let go.

I found it at a Z (but not Z32) related website, for sale by a guy who was just looking to get it out of his garage, and I picked it up for $100, which is somewhere around 1/10th of its actual value to Z32 owners.

This one *will* be sealed and painted on all sides, so it won't rot.

Quote:
There fix is to weld tab back on or buy a new latch, and then use a piece of metal over the cracked holes. Or buy a new trunk lid. I do like the carbon fiber ones Then I'd have to paint it and decide whether to use a spoiler or not. Naturally a CF hood would be bad ass too. The one I want is like 9 lbs. Compared to the 60+ lb stock hood that's pretty sweet. You should do it instead of fixing the old one!
The hood on a Z32 is sheet aluminum, so it actually weighs very little. The asbestos fire blanket on the underside weighs more than the actual hood does.

Of course, there are FRP and CF replacements available for both the hatch and the hood on mine, but the advantage is minimal.

RazorWind

Quote:
Uh:
1) some of the filler used in a repair from before I bought the car cracked (the plan is to either hammer and dolly the repair out and use less filler this time, or to buy a new fender)
2) I installed the T-bolt clamps for my intercooler hoses in the wrong orientation and punched two little domes in the hood ()
4) the dry-rot in the spoiler allowed it to hold some water after it cracked, so there's a tiny bit of rust repair on the hatch structure

In addition, the entire car below the striping is textured as a "rock guard". Basically, it's a horrible, mass application of orange peel. I'm sanding that off, and then using an etching primer on the new surface.

Holy crap, you're going to sand the gravel guard off? The stuff they used on my MR2s looks like spray-in truck bed liner; I'd imagine that would take forever to get off.

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Oh, there were tears. I can't believe I was that dumb.

I have in my shed what could be the very last NOS spoiler, still in the Nissan box. I certainly could trade it for the 3rd brake light panel off of an NA Z32 and then fill the mounting holes on the hatch, but this one's too good to let go.

I found it at a Z (but not Z32) related website, for sale by a guy who was just looking to get it out of his garage, and I picked it up for $100, which is somewhere around 1/10th of its actual value to Z32 owners.

This one *will* be sealed and painted on all sides, so it won't rot.

The hood on a Z32 is sheet aluminum, so it actually weighs very little. The asbestos fire blanket on the underside weighs more than the actual hood does.

Of course, there are FRP and CF replacements available for both the hatch and the hood on mine, but the advantage is minimal.

Oh nice, aluminum eh... The M3 LTW had that and aluminum doors iirc, I'd love to get a hold of those but that = mega money :/

Strange that the hood liner weighs more - sure about that? It has to have a frame too not just the aluminum skin. I ripped mine out just because it was dirty. Other than a little more injector noise there's no downside, makes the whole underside of the hood look much nicer. I noticed new BMWs don't even have them. Even 335s/other turbo versions. Maybe your liner is extra HD because it's a twin turbo or something but honestly they don't do much, including the whole "smother flames" thing. It's mostly for noise just like the crap under your carpet. I saved mine but probably won't ever put it back in. Should just toss it really, or throw it into the attic as extra insulation above one of the bathrooms.

Jehannum

Quote:
Oh nice, aluminum eh... The M3 LTW had that and aluminum doors iirc, I'd love to get a hold of those but that = mega money :/

Strange that the hood liner weighs more - sure about that? It has to have a frame too not just the aluminum skin. I ripped mine out just because it was dirty. Other than a little more injector noise there's no downside, makes the whole underside of the hood look much nicer. I noticed new BMWs don't even have them. Even 335s/other turbo versions. Maybe your liner is extra HD because it's a twin turbo or something but honestly they don't do much, including the whole "smother flames" thing. It's mostly for noise just like the crap under your carpet. I saved mine but probably won't ever put it back in. Should just toss it really, or throw it into the attic as extra insulation above one of the bathrooms.
The frame below the hood is stamped aluminum, and is about the same gauge as the skin.

The new cars don't have the underhood blankets because the insulation/blanket is below the engine cover, and in the event of fire, the engine cover is supposed to deform and allow it to drop on the source of the flames. Dunno how effective that is against a fire fed by gasoline, but hey, there you go.

Jehannum

Woo, the guy working on the GTO has given me permission to use his shop (and his air) to paint the car.

I'm dropping the fenders, fascia, and hood off tomorrow.

Jehannum

Fixed the hood:

Fixed the fenders:

This one was the worst - they used a lot of heat to fix it the first time (while it was still on the car, obv):

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:

A blast furnace, by any other name, is still a... New Mexico??

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
#2) -

I'd cry.

<cringe> geez, you got him going... now he's gonna pollute your pristine thread with roundel ...

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

Tex Arcana

Quote:
Uh:

dry rot FTMFL... Reference the previous "blast oven"entry...

--John Hobbs