General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

deviant one

how much should i look to spend on buying a beginner bike + gear + licencing + all other misc fees and dues and taxes...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

electric!sheep

That's a total rat bike man, looks pretty cool though. How much, how many miles, and excuse my ignorance, but what the hell is it?

electric!sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviant one
how much should i look to spend on buying a beginner bike + gear + licencing + all other misc fees and dues and taxes...

$2,000 min for a decent beginner bike, $350-500 for gear, $150 for insurance, a few hundred for parts/tools/tires, and a percentage of whatever you claim the bike's value to be for taxes (I told the DMV my bike is worth 1K ). So, be prepared to spend $3,000, give or take a few hundred bucks.

VulcaN
Show us your tits sweetie

$350-500 for gear!? most people i know say $500-1000. Good gear will last you a long time even through more than one low speed spill. Id spend more money on gear than my bike anyday, as the bike can be replaced

figure at least $200 for decent helmet
$150-200 for a jacket
$100 - $150 for pants
$100-150 for boots
$50-80 for gloves

thats $600 min right there, sure you could buy used gear (newenough.com) or something to save money but im just talking about new stuff here

electric!sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcaN
$350-500 for gear!? most people i know say $500-1000. Good gear will last you a long time even through more than one low speed spill. Id spend more money on gear than my bike anyday, as the bike can be replaced

figure at least $200 for decent helmet
$150-200 for a jacket
$100 - $150 for pants
$100-150 for boots
$50-80 for gloves

thats $600 min right there, sure you could buy used gear (newenough.com) or something to save money but im just talking about new stuff here

I have a new matching set of Alpinestars pants and jacket and they work just fine. The main problem they have is quality control (I had to mend a seam or two). My HJC helmet cost about $120. And since I bought all my stuff at one store, they gave me a 10% discount when I inquired. My boots are Altama jungle combat boots--they cost about $100 and look normal enough that I wear them at work. I could scrape soles against asphalt at 60mph and the Vibram wouldn't have a mark.

Oh, and must gloat, I did my first boot-scraping turn today (my foot was sticking out a bit off the pegs). Sparks next time!

McKnight
MOST AMAZING TITLE EVER LOL WORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric!sheep
That's a total rat bike man, looks pretty cool though. How much, how many miles, and excuse my ignorance, but what the hell is it?

oh yea forgot to add, its an 89' zx6r durr me. yea it is a rat bike, but it sounds great and it fits what I was looking for.

~20k miles
$1500

I want to take some of the black paint off of the fork before anything. What would be the best method for that?

edit: http://img59.echo.cx/img59/9918/bikeheadlights1lm.jpg since the seat and exhaust isnt an eye sore anymore, this is what makes me cringe now.

Last edited by McKnight; 06-13-2005 at 08:57 PM..

electric!sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKnight
oh yea forgot to add, its an 89' zx6r durr me. yea it is a rat bike, but it sounds great and it fits what I was looking for.

~20k miles
$1500

I want to take some of the black paint off of the fork before anything. What would be the best method for that?

edit: http://img59.echo.cx/img59/9918/bikeheadlights1lm.jpg since the seat and exhaust isnt an eye sore anymore, this is what makes me cringe now.

Carb cleaner will dissolve pretty much everything non-metallic. Not bad mileage for the price. Make sure you replace the chain and check the sprockets for hooking or other wear. I'd also consider pulling the carbs and cleaning them out. Change oil and filter so you start your own maintenance history, etc.

karax

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric!sheep
$2,000 min for a decent beginner bike, $350-500 for gear, $150 for insurance, a few hundred for parts/tools/tires, and a percentage of whatever you claim the bike's value to be for taxes (I told the DMV my bike is worth 1K ). So, be prepared to spend $3,000, give or take a few hundred bucks.

i got my 96 gs500 for $1600, so id say you can get a good bike for under 2000 if you are patient and good at bargaining.

but 3000 is still a good estimate.

electric!sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karax
i got my 96 gs500 for $1600, so id say you can get a good bike for under 2000 if you are patient and good at bargaining.

but 3000 is still a good estimate.

Personally, I'd try to get a bike under 10K miles for a first ride, or one that his been maintained very well. You don't want to be stuck wondering WTF is wrong before you've had a chance to discover everything there is to know about it.

Delirum

I got a CBR 600
As my first bike.
Im a rebel.

VulcaN
Show us your tits sweetie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirum
I got a CBR 600
As my first bike.
Im a rebel.

Thats the kind of hapless ignorant attitude that people get killed over, I hope you are just joking and take riding very seriously.

Delirum

I take it serious.
Its my first bike.
I can handle it just fine

onewheeldoin200
Your girlfriend likes my crotch rocket better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirum
I take it serious.
Its my first bike.
I can handle it just fine

That's what they all say.....hopefully you'll be lucky.

Ride safe.

Passion > Precision

ut4ever

I have a question about prices...

I'm thinking about buying a bike at or near the end of the year, since I will have some play money to spend. When is the best time to buy a bike? Are there certain times like at the end of summer/begining of winter where the prices tend to be lower?

onewheeldoin200
Your girlfriend likes my crotch rocket better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ut4ever
I have a question about prices...

I'm thinking about buying a bike at or near the end of the year, since I will have some play money to spend. When is the best time to buy a bike? Are there certain times like at the end of summer/begining of winter where the prices tend to be lower?

Generally anytime between the fall and when the new models hit the showroom. The dealerships are trying to clear out for the new models and people want to sell their own rides before it'll have to sit around in their garage and depreciate.

Passion > Precision