General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
feed the troll twopence a bag

Hey troll Why is the moon hotter than the earth? Earth has CO2 in it's atmosphere and the moon does not have one(well it does have an argon one about an inch high but Only in direct sunlight)

The moon gets both hotter and colder than the Earth, but on average is colder.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
This thread has become nothing more than the same shit over and over, rinse and repeat. However I do want to ask a serious question to the most fervent AGW disciples in two parts:

1. Do you feel that worldwide government imposed cap and trade, carbon taxes etc..will ultimately be a good thing for the citizens of the world?

2. If you answered yes to the first part, do you really feel that such measures will make any difference in stopping a "warming" trend for the world climate?

I think we should just be dumping LOTS of money into alternative energy research and production. The consequences of cap-n-trade are hard to predict, especially when you have to have the government set it up. Spend money to find better sources of energy, subsidize promising candidates until they become viable. The market will figure out the rest.

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
The moon gets both hotter and colder than the Earth, but on average is colder.

And mercury is a heavy metal planet that requires more energy to reach the same temps as an earth type planet with a gas could surrounding it.. If you want to take the Average temp then you Better Fucking include the Volume of the planet.

I would figure the guy trying to lecture me that IR/=Temperature would understand that. Damn I caught the wrong troll

Thanks for playing

TheMorlock

Quote:
I think we should just be dumping LOTS of money into alternative energy research and production. The consequences of cap-n-trade are hard to predict, especially when you have to have the government set it up. Spend money to find better sources of energy, subsidize promising candidates until they become viable. The market will figure out the rest.

sigh

Gibonius

Quote:
And mercury is a heavy metal planet that requires more energy to reach the same temps as an earth type planet with a gas could surrounding it.. If you want to take the Average temp then you Better Fucking include the Volume of the planet.

I would figure the guy trying to lecture me that IR/=Temperature would understand that. Damn I caught the wrong troll

Thanks for playing

Yay for stupid trap posts with no actual point!

TheMorlock

Quote:
Yay for stupid trap posts with no actual point!

Yay for cognitive dissonance in PHD candidates.

So what part of you are wasting someones valuable teaching time do you still not understand?

Last edited by TheMorlock; 06-11-2010 at 11:34 AM..

TheMorlock

Hello Gibsy? I am waiting for you to explain to me how a cubic foot of CO2 uses the same amount of energy to increase a degree in temp as a cubic foot of lead.

Gibonius

Quote:
Yay for cognitive dissonance in PHD candidates.

So what part of you are wasting someones valuable teaching time do you still not understand?

You'd have to actually make a point some time for me to apply any cognitive dissonance to.

Quote:
Hello Gibsy? I am waiting for you to explain to me how a cubic foot of CO2 uses the same amount of energy to increase a degree in temp as a cubic foot of lead.
By the specific heats, the lead is going to take LESS energy to go up in temperature than CO2 (0.130 vs ~0.7). Of course in a solar radiation scenario the two aren't going to absorb energy equally.

If you've actually got a point you think you're trying to make here, you could just spit it out and stop being a jackass. But that would be outside your MO so I'm not holding my breath. You said the moon is hotter than the Earth. What point did you think you were making?

TheMorlock

so you are saying that 8 grams of CO2 requires more energy to go up a degree in temp than 80 pounds of lead. Mmmmkay.

Shall I call the men in the clean white coats now? or wait till you stop drooling?

Gibonius

Quote:
so you are saying that 8 grams of CO2 requires more energy to go up a degree in temp than 80 pounds of lead. Mmmmkay.

Shall I call the men in the clean white coats now? or wait till you stop drooling?

Sorry, I didn't see that you said a cubic foot. The same weight would require more energy. Obviously the same volume of (gaseous) CO2 would take less energy to increase in temperature.

Again: your point is.....what? Spit it out.

TheMorlock

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't see that you said a cubic foot. The same weight would require more energy. Obviously the same volume of (gaseous) CO2 would take less energy to increase in temperature.

Again: your point is.....what? Spit it out.

that you cant read or reason better than a 3rd grader? That you think science is making shit up and then claiming that the Dan Rather School of Science is by scientists for scientists?

That you thought that Venus atmo was made of solid CO2?

that your religion is busted?

the hat looks good on you still?

As I said

Damn I caught the wrong troll

You want to play with some angle of incidence as well? Total exposed area? Or are you still emptying your drool cup.

http://www.universetoday.com/guide-t...er-of-mercury/

http://www.universetoday.com/guide-t...eter-of-venus/

I need to play with SERIOUS PHD CANDIDATES more often, but right now I some fish in a barrel to shoot.

Last edited by TheMorlock; 06-11-2010 at 03:44 PM..

Gibonius

I see links to Venus and Mercury, but nothing about the moon. Can't remember what point you were trying to make?

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Quote:
Interesting choice of words there.."dumping LOTS of money" is something the federal government is very good at...getting a positive return for the dumping is a different matter. I think the consequences of cap and trade are pretty easy to predict for anyone with an IQ above 75 or so...but you never touched my second question which could make the first question moot.

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

TheMorlock

Quote:
I see links to Venus and Mercury, but nothing about the moon. Can't remember what point you were trying to make?

That you dont have one?

Gibonius

Quote:
That you dont have one?

Guess you don't remember after all.