General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

2[H]4U

How to convince younger bro to go to boarding school?

So my younger bro is in 7th grade, next year will be his last year at his middle school and my parents want him to go to either Exeter or Hotchkiss. He is against going to any sort of prep boarding school because all of his friends will be going to the public school in our town. Both my parents and myself have been trying to talk him into going since itís a tremendous opportunity (one I wish I had) and he will have access to certain things he won't be able to get anywhere else. He is definitely smart, having taken pre-calc in an out of school class and gotten A's in every single one of his regular classes so I'm sure Exeter or Hotchkiss would be a great fit for him. I tried convincing him by showing him the type of classes he'll be able to take and where the majority of the graduates place in terms of schools (a huge % went to Harvard, Yale or Princeton). He is pretty firm with his choice so I was hoping someone here might offer some advice.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Grazehell

He is in 7th grade why does he even have a say on this?

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

It's hard to talk kids into something they wont appreciate until much later. If I were given the choice I would have gone to public school with my friends too.

I'm glad it wasn't my choice.

2[H]4U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazehell View Post
He is in 7th grade why does he even have a say on this?

We don't wanna force him into something he doesn't want to do. I'd rather see him become 100% committed than 60% committed and 40% parental and older sibling persuasion.

Why_Ask_Why
why_ask_why
I make Gen[M]ay notable

loved it the second I walked in. it was like going to college when I was 13. I had tons of friends at home and they continued to be my friends during the summer and on breaks. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. he has to want that life though. we competed in athletics against both of those schools, coincidentally.

Legend

How much is that going to cost, like 25 grand a year?

Last edited by Legend; 05-02-2011 at 09:51 PM..

pyramid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
How much is that going to cost, like 25 grand a year?

my nephews grade school costs that much, each...

pyramid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2[H]4U View Post
We don't wanna force him into something he doesn't want to do. I'd rather see him become 100% committed than 60% committed and 40% parental and older sibling persuasion.

that's retarded. kids are stupid.

pepperochini

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
that's retarded. kids are stupid.

Make him go to the boarding school, but when college comes around he should have a 100% say in where he goes.

pyramid

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperochini View Post
Make him go to the boarding school, but when college comes around he should have a 100% say in where he goes.

TSRH

pepperochini

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
TSRH

You want to help the kid make a good decision, but at the same time you don't want to push him into rebellion.

DlStreamnet

Let him do what he wants.

Maybe he does good at present because he can unwind with his friends, and the environment around him is more relaxed.

If I had the choice I would prefer to stay at home, not so much for friends, but because of the environment.

Fiah
Sinds ik als transseksuele prostituee bezig ben, heb ik mezelf eindelijk leren accepteren. PM me voo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2[H]4U View Post

As if kids ever WANT to do the right thing! He should STFU and go to the school that his parents want him to go to, especially if he's a smart kid and it's a private school. A smart kid doesn't need any commitment to finish high school. I mean, do you have any idea how bad of a reputation public high schools in the USA have compared to the rest of the world? I fucking breezed through pre-university education here in Holland and in hind-sight I would have loved to have even better (higher level) education at that age, because of how much further I would have been now. Considering how much better the education here is supposed to be (high-school level, not universities), that's saying something IMHO.

Seriously, that your parents are able to afford sending him to a private school is fucking awesome and a chance that he shouldn't miss for the world!

Also, if that's not enough than I can safely say that a kid who starts at a private school feeling all sour that he can't be with his friends is still going to be learning far more than a happy kid at a public school. And he'll be making new friends in no time anyway!

It may seem strange that I feel so strongly about this as a total stranger, just see it as an indication as to how fucking important proper education is and how much of a total clusterfuck it would be if he went to public school instead of private just because of a few friends.

Fatdaddy
Liqdfire's Woman <3

FFS hes 13. when i was 13 all i wanted to do was sit my happy ass around the house too. tell him to stfu and get his ass to a nice school

RedEyes
Boner Provider

Help him see how making this decision can give him what he needs to accomplish what he wants to do long term.
If you have to convince him of anything, you've got to overcome his resistance. Help him see how this is something he wants. Your answers don't work for him. Help him find the answers inside himself that point this direction.

We will make contact with this frequency every twelve hours. Prepare sitrep for command authority. Have hope. We're coming for you.