General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Whizzleteets
I'll teach you to be happy! I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs!

i feed my cats science diet (original or some shit), that's what they were getting at the shelter, so i just keep giving them the same thing.
[IMG]http://www.uploderx.net/dphrag/whizzlewtf397921.jpg[/IMG]
follow mentner on twitter if you're not a giant fagmo.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

cokezeroholic

Is there some type of study that compares a cat's diet on dry and wet food?

ceejamon
Ignore this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsiholic View Post
Is there some type of study that compares a cat's diet on dry and wet food?

I've never been able to find a study, but any vet I've asked has told me to feed wet food whenever possible. The only exception was when I had an elderly cat on a prescription diet of a special (and hella expensive) dry food, plus a homemade wet food. And even that was only for a few months. The only benefit to dry food is convenience - you can leave it out without spoiling. As for kitty teeth: dry food makes some difference, but since cats don't really chew like us omnivores, it's minimal. Have their teeth cleaned at the vet, or do it yourself. They'll do a much better job, and your cat's breath will be much nicer, too.

If you ever see a cat eating in a corn field, it's because she killed something there. Cats don't eat corn, wheat, soy, peas, carrots, etc in the wild. They've lived on mice and other small critters for the last million years, plus the occasional nibble on grass. That's what their digestive tract is made for - not a bunch of carbohydrates. Also, because cats get so much moisture from eating fresh kills in the wild, they have an underdeveloped thirst instinct. If you're feeding your cat nothing but dry food, she's most likely dehydrated all the time. Expect urinary tract issues as an adult (sound familiar, cat owners?), and when they get older they're much more likely to get feline diabetes, cystitis, kidney problems, and IBD. These can be treated using special foods, medicines, steroids, and money at the vet - or you can feed your cat a proper diet now. Sorry if that's harsh.

I could talk a lot about this, but I'll leave it to my veterinarian: Dr. Marcus Brown of Capital Cat Clinic in Arlington, Virginia, and scientific advisor to Alley Cat Allies: http://www.cathealth.com/food-wet-dry.htm

Now, switching to wet food can be rough. Some cats have never eaten anything but kibble and may turn their noses up at first. Others will take one bite and never look at kibble again. You'll want to make the change slowly. Also, don't freak out if they get an upset tummy. If you'd eaten nothing but Wendy's all your life and suddenly started eating at Jamie Oliver's house, you'd get the runs, too, while your body adjusted to real food.

Sarah Palin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejamon View Post
My vet would disagree with you (then again, she's kind of an asshole, but still). What dry food does a cat naturally eat in the wild? What carbohydrates at all, for that matter? Very, very little. They're oblate carnivores, after all. I'll give you that cheap canned food can be super bad for them - it can be some pretty nasty stuff. I know I'll get a lot of disagreement on this, but most dry food really isn't very good for cats: http://www.catinfo.org/ I'm no expert, but I've had several cats live long enough to vote so I must be doing something right.

My rule with cat food is this: the first 2 ingredients have to be meat and must not contain corn, wheat, or soy. Cat's aren't built to digest these ingredients very well, and you'll find them present in many brands. Filling up on carbohydrates they wouldn't normally eat in the wild isn't healthy.

I leave out a controlled amount of dry food:
http://www.castorpolluxpet.com/produ...adult-cat-food

Twice per day, I split a can of wet food between my little bastards:
http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/produ...?pet=cat&pid=7

tsrh

I have two cats with severe grain allergies, leaky butts all over the house if they have any grain whatsoever (goes for wheat cat litter as well)

The castor pollux is really good stuff, I used to order it online and have it shipped to the house but now it's in the organic section of the grocery store

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejamon View Post
My vet would disagree with you (then again, she's kind of an asshole, but still). What dry food does a cat naturally eat in the wild? What carbohydrates at all, for that matter? Very, very little. They're oblate carnivores, after all. I'll give you that cheap canned food can be super bad for them - it can be some pretty nasty stuff. I know I'll get a lot of disagreement on this, but most dry food really isn't very good for cats: http://www.catinfo.org/ I'm no expert, but I've had several cats live long enough to vote so I must be doing something right.

My rule with cat food is this: the first 2 ingredients have to be meat and must not contain corn, wheat, or soy. Cat's aren't built to digest these ingredients very well, and you'll find them present in many brands. Filling up on carbohydrates they wouldn't normally eat in the wild isn't healthy.

I leave out a controlled amount of dry food:
http://www.castorpolluxpet.com/produ...adult-cat-food

Twice per day, I split a can of wet food between my little bastards:
http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/produ...?pet=cat&pid=7

They may not eat dry food in the wild, but they do eat hard food (bones). I actually make my own, based on this recipe, grinding everything (bones, skin, and chicken thighs). It's an important component to dental health that they don't really get if you just supplement with calcium.

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

ceejamon
Ignore this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
They may not eat dry food in the wild, but they do eat hard food (bones). I actually make my own, based on this recipe, grinding everything (bones, skin, and chicken thighs). It's an important component to dental health that they don't really get if you just supplement with calcium.

That's a little too much for me. I just supplement and clean their teeth myself.

Artesial

Quote:

Yeah no that is just ridiculous and that lady seems like she is borderline crazy.

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artesial View Post
Yeah no that is just ridiculous and that lady seems like she is borderline crazy.

It's cheaper per pound than most commercial foods.

Artesial

Quote:
It's cheaper per pound than most commercial foods.

So is riding my bike to work than driving my car, but I can afford gas to drive so I will.

Thermo1223

I actually settled on 4Health food for the cat. It is not wet but it is better than the wet I do occasionally feed her.

I also feed the dog the same it is the cheapest food I can find that doesn't use filler crap.
Range - GTFO god :rolleyes:

edplayer
no

can't you just give them cans of tuna?

[QUOTE=g|aSsJaw;25381666]I'm not going to go back and forth with you about it all night, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

Artesial

Quote:
Originally Posted by edplayer View Post
can't you just give them cans of tuna?

It's what I do once in a while instead of dry food cause my cats don't like wet cat food. They love tuna though.

Jehannum

Quote:
So is riding my bike to work than driving my car, but I can afford gas to drive so I will.

I ride my bike to work, too.

Kahnza
Screw you guys, I'm going home!

Quote:
It's what I do once in a while instead of dry food cause my cats don't like wet cat food. They love tuna though.

near the tuna at the store should be pouches of salmon. Try that.

cloe26

I feed my fat cat Purina