General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

xagent

US citizen traveling to Brazil - Visa question

I've booked a flight into Buenos Aires, Argentina, and a return flight back home to the US from Rio de Janeiro in Brazil. That's it. No flight or travel into Brazil, yet. I'm staying at a friend's apartment in Argentina, and we're hoping to book something last minute and/or play it by ear... when and how we go to Brazil (bus? visit Iguazu Falls along the way? fly? drive?)

But according to the Brazilian consulate, you need a full copy of round trip itinerary showing arrival and departure. So what do I do? I must now spend several hundred dollars and commit to an exact date and time for getting from Buenos Aires to Rio?

What if I my Argentinian friend was driving me in his private car? Renting a car in country A, and driving to country B(which requires a visa)? Or staying with family in country A and having them take make to country B? Making local travel arrangements once I arrived in country A? you get the idea...

How do backpackers or other people traveling with loose plans and itineraries deal with such visa issues?

Last edited by xagent; 05-25-2011 at 01:16 AM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

acidfast7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagent View Post
I've booked a flight into Buenos Aires, Argentina, and a return flight back home to the US from Rio de Janeiro in Brazil. That's it. No flight or travel into Brazil, yet.

I'm staying at a friend's apartment in Argentina, and we're hoping to book something last minute and/or play it by ear... when and how we go to Brazil (bus? visit Iguazu Falls along the way? fly? drive?)

But according to the Brazilian consulate, you need a full copy of round trip itinerary showing arrival and departure. So what do I do? I must now spend several hundred dollars and commit to an exact date and time for getting from Buenos Aires to Rio?

How do backpackers and other people traveling with loose plans and itineraries deal with such visa issues? Not that I plan to... but what if I was indeed planning on hiking/walking into Brazil? Or driving via private car with my Argentinian friend?

I've never dealt with Brazil, but I've run into this issue before in other countries (even Germany at the beginning.)

1. You only have convince the personnel at the border control that you'll leave and won't overstay. Usually that is sufficient ... you can usually say that you've booked a flight with a particular airline but you don't have the paperwork with you.

2. If you're nervous, just print out a document that makes it look like you've paid for the flight but haven't actually paid (like email correspondence from a travel agent) ... they'll never actually check.

xagent

There's no border control here. In order to even get on the plane to Brazil, you need a pre-arrival visa. Oddly enough, Brazil and Paraguay are the only two Latin American countries you have to get approved a visa for before you arrive. So unless I get my visa ahead of time here, in the US, I'd be stuck in Argentina since I'd be unable to even get on a plane to Rio.

There should be no concern of me overstaying in Brazil haha. After all, what I do have booked is my flight OUT of Brazil back to the US.

But, the consulate website says thye need arrival info as well, which seems stupid. Calls to the actual consulate resulted in a automated message service that was broken. "Press 1 for tourist visa" "I'm sorry you entered an incorrect option".

Applying for a visa requires: Getting a Post office money order for the $160 fee, getting a passport photo, getting copy of full round-trip travel itinerary showing arrival and entry into Brazil, scheduling an appointment with the consulate and filling out an application. Then waiting indefinite time for the bureacratic machine to process my application and wait for them to mail me back my stamped passport. So yea, I don't want to go through all this, only to have my visa app denied because my itinerary was "incomplete".

Last edited by xagent; 05-25-2011 at 01:40 AM..

acidfast7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagent View Post
There's no border control here. In order to even get on the plane to Brazil, you need a pre-arrival visa. Oddly enough, Brazil and Paraguay are the only two Latin American countries you have to get approved a visa for before you arrive. So unless I get my visa ahead of time here, in the US, I'd be stuck in Argentina since I'd be unable to even get on a plane to Rio.

There should be no concern of me overstaying in Brazil haha. After all, what I do have booked is my flight OUT of Brazil back to the US.

But, the consulate website says thye need arrival info as well, which seems stupid. Calls to the actual consulate resulted in a automated message service that was broken. "Press 1 for tourist visa" "I'm sorry you entered an incorrect option".

Applying for a visa requires: Getting a Post office money order for the $160 fee, getting a passport photo, getting copy of full round-trip travel itinerary showing arrival and entry into Brazil, scheduling an appointment with the consulate and filling out an application. Then waiting indefinite time for the bureacratic machine to process my application and wait for them to mail me back my stamped passport. So yea, I don't want to go through all this, only to have my visa app denied because my itinerary was "incomplete".

I see. no visa upon arrival ... what a pain in the ass.

I would include a copy of the itinerary (fake is probably OK because I doubt that they actually check). It's usually also possible to buy a plane ticket for a particular day and to pay the change date fee at a later date to change it the day you want.

as an extra, I've found that I can book tickets for a reduced fee (for example, having three months between arrival and departure flights), arrive at the airport and change the date on the return flight (to three days after I arrived) and it's cheaper than booking the original flight. so, you may not lose money.

acidfast7

MuffinMan8869

sounds like China and Russia.

my suggestion is to make a definite plan. It kind of sucks, but a lot of things could go wrong and it is not worth the hassle of doing in country, and or getting stuck at a border crossing shit out of luck

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

nvm thought this was main

thescapeman

I travelled to Russia last summer and it was a total pain in the butt. I don't understand why these countries make it so damn difficult to get in (although our restrictions don't exactly help things). I mean, who the hell WANTS to stay in Brazil for a prolonged period of time, unless you have a particular reason (expat, family, etc.). I just hope over the next couple years things get easier for international travelers (ala US and Britain / EU).

I would suggest calling the embassy and seeing what they can do for you. Usually that's the best way.

I am unsure of the visa restrictions in Brazil, but I know for Russia you had to prove that you would be out of the country by a certain date / time (usually with flight itinerary) and you had to provide proof of where you would be staying. Also, tourist visas lasted only 30 days. Again, Brazil probably is a little more lenient, but check with the embassy.

Grazehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescapeman View Post
I just hope over the next couple years things get easier for international travelers (ala US and Britain / EU).

Its not easy to get into the US for some travellers! Citizens of a lot of countries require a US visa and getting that is expensive and requires a lot of paper work.

Ah looks like the US is just one of those countrie that require a Visa by Brazil. I love the fact that Brazil loves fucking with US travellers since the US makes life a pain in the ass for other travellers.
When the US started finger printing foreigners entering the country Brazil did the same only for US foreigners

IcW@teR
Ice Cool

Quote:
I travelled to Russia last summer and it was a total pain in the butt. I don't understand why these countries make it so damn difficult to get in (although our restrictions don't exactly help things). I mean, who the hell WANTS to stay in Brazil for a prolonged period of time, unless you have a particular reason (expat, family, etc.). I just hope over the next couple years things get easier for international travelers (ala US and Britain / EU).

I would suggest calling the embassy and seeing what they can do for you. Usually that's the best way.

I am unsure of the visa restrictions in Brazil, but I know for Russia you had to prove that you would be out of the country by a certain date / time (usually with flight itinerary) and you had to provide proof of where you would be staying. Also, tourist visas lasted only 30 days. Again, Brazil probably is a little more lenient, but check with the embassy.

well it is the new goto spot for child prostitution

diearzte2

Quote:

Its really not that big of a deal....I processed visa application for 12 people in the past 2 weeks for Russia and none of them were denied. I didn't provide proof of flights in or out. They require a list of all countries visited in the past 10 years and dates visited... I provided probably less than half (was based on what we could see in their passports and we work for a company that routinely requires international travel, one girl I did it for had been to like 12 countries already this year) and no dates. You can basically list any hotel and it doesn't matter, all the reservations for the hotel they are staying at is under one name and it didn't come up.

They basically just want the money. Fill out the application to the best of your ability and submit it with the money and you'll be fine. If you're from the states, there is little to no chance they are going to deny you coming and spending money there.

Edit: Russia has probably some of the craziest requirements for a visa. Definitely requests flight info in and out. One guy doesn't have flights at all yet and they are going next Thursday. They really don't care so long as you have money. Even for China.

thescapeman

No, but I've had friends who have had problems that their visas were getting approved at the consulate, and the Russian police stopped them and demanded money. It's not difficult to get into the country, but they recently changed the rules for a business visa and it's getting harder and harder to stay in the country for an extended period unless you are a student, married, or you can have your employer work out the details.

And I was saying flying from the US to Britain. It is hard to get into the US from a lot of places, unfortunately (or fortunately for some). It's all a big way for the governments to make a few extra bucks.

Again, if you have money, I don't think you will have any issues at all with Brazil, especially at the border.

Knibox

Just sneak across the border like their citizens do to the US.

IcW@teR
Ice Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knibox View Post
Just sneak across the border like their citizens do to the US.

yea thats a very brazilian thing to do is sneak across the american border :hmm:

xagent

On the visa application form on the Brazilian consulate website, they are even asking the name and contact info and dress of the hotels we'll be staying at.

wtf? So do I just leave this blank then, or fill in a bogus hotel?

Look, I just don't want to be permanently blackballed for lying on my visa application, nor do I want to waste time going thru the bureacratic machine, spending $140, going to the post office, going to the consulate... only to have to have it denied after spending 1 month in the bureacratic machine, then rushing to do it again last minute before the trip.