General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

prepping for CLEP/Dantes tests?

as i'm a Reservist, i can take as many CLEP/Dantes tests as i want for free
i've taken a couple, but i've gotten to the point where i need to start studying for them

i'd rather not pay for the study materials, as that defeats the purpose of free college credits, but i figure that if i can find a course outline for what's necessary to know for each course, i can just learn that general info and do well enough to pass  that might not make sense, if not let me know and i'll reword it 

does anyone know of a resource that will allow me to study for these?

Asa of the Infidel Crew

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

which classes?

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

well, first step is to get my AA, then after that i'll just work on other classes to boost my credit hours until it gets to the point where an actual university likes my transcript enough to accept me
at this point in time, i need all of my core classes, except English/Literature

translation: any of them

Asa of the Infidel Crew

yolo

the ESO at my last base had study guides, but they were all hand me down materials it looked like (some were even VHS tapes heh).

I'd ask your local education services officer or maybe buy a used study guide online, i'm sure some of them are probably 99 cents - $5 on amazon

Aldaris

I always used the REA test preps and got 5 successful clep exams under my belt - saved me a semester in school

Impulse Rxn

FWIW, every school I've been in contact with doesn't accept more than 2 CLEPs for transfer credits--they may give you an opt-out for some core classes or pre-req, but both my undergraduate school (UNC) and my graduate school (Harvard) do not accept cleps past the first two, and even then, it wasn't easy. I'm a reservist, too, and I remember in tech school they had me take 2 CLEPs. I banged out six in a day (because they were a joke) and they acted like they had never seen anything like it before. Long story short, my grad school almost laughed at me. It might be different for undergraduate, but I remember pretty specifically UNC telling me 2 max, and just 1 for actual credit hours.

Also, if you plan on going to a 'military friendly' school that the DOD tries to sell (usually for-profit nontransferrable schools,) your CCAF/Community College of the Army/Navy degree might transfer or make you eligible as a transfer, but many schools don't look at it as a real degree- again, they may exempt you from some of the core classes or pre-reqs, but don't be surprised if they make you take courses over that you get credits for in your AA. I have a CCAF AA just through my aviation training, but when a college sees that your "coursework" involves things like basic training and "interpersonal relationships," ie folding socks with your bunk buddy at basic, they don't take it very seriously. YMMV obviously!