General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
SemperFly
 
SemperFly's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiler View Post
Have you bought a cd lately? Bout a dvd(waaay cheaper now)? Blu ray? (bout the price of new dvds back in the day). Those are roughly the same prices they were in the 90's accounting for the newness of that type of media.

I can afford 60 games, it's just to me, I won't pay THAT much for any game unless it is one of the few games I really really want. I

I have long said, if you lower the costs of games you'd move more units and be able to even it out or even have more profit at the end.

Look at the steam sales, when they did it first they released numbers afterwards. Some of the games jumped over 300%, that is money in the bank.

There is a point when you price a good that can have a balance of less units sold/less profit vs more units sold/more profit.
right it's not like these game companies have marketing analysts better qualified than you to tell them what will make them more profit

given that you'll most likely get at least 30 hours worth of a game, that enjoyment isn't worth $2 an hour to you? but it is worth $1.50 an hour?

yeah, if it's a crappy game that you don't play more than an hour or so sure. but to say that a game is worth 40 but not 60 is absurd. the difference in that is insignificant given the amount of play you'll get out of it.

as for cds and dvds, they're not way cheaper these days. they've fallen a bit but adjusted for inflation, so has the price of games. they're cheaper today than they were ten years ago despite the advances in technology
Old 01-22-2011, 11:33 AM SemperFly is offline  
Reply With Quote
#16  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

lonedawg
Stiler
 
lonedawg's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFly View Post
right it's not like these game companies have marketing analysts better qualified than you to tell them what will make them more profit

given that you'll most likely get at least 30 hours worth of a game, that enjoyment isn't worth $2 an hour to you? but it is worth $1.50 an hour?

yeah, if it's a crappy game that you don't play more than an hour or so sure. but to say that a game is worth 40 but not 60 is absurd. the difference in that is insignificant given the amount of play you'll get out of it.

as for cds and dvds, they're not way cheaper these days. they've fallen a bit but adjusted for inflation, so has the price of games. they're cheaper today than they were ten years ago despite the advances in technology


All I am talking about is from my perspective. there is a point when many people will buy games, without even really wanting the game if it gets low enough.

If a game releases at say 35 bucks vs 50, I'll likely buy it NEW from a store. That's 35 bucks the publisher/devs see. At 60?I'll buy the game used, from ebay, etc down the road. That''s ZERO money the publisher/devs will see, they get no profit from used game sales,

the used game market is HUGE, it'st he main reason gamestop has stayed in business for so long, without used game sales they wouldn't nearly have the money they have, they depend on the used game sales to drive their profits, not the new game sales.

Publishers have been trying over the past couple of years to cut into used game sales, they'd been packing gmaes with codes only in new copies, having online be pay-to-play unless you get it new They have been pulling all kinds of things to try and get people to buy the games new vs used.

Now if you ask me, how can they cut into used game markets more?EAsy, lower the cost of new games. They have went over the line of balance, virtually EVERY single person I know that plays games in rl hardly ever buys them new, they just wait and get them used on ebay or such.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:03 PM lonedawg is offline  
Reply With Quote
#17  

theNoid
 
theNoid's Avatar
 
Very simple solution to buying either console or PC games... waiting, and stop buying new games. I buy them on sale 6 months later for < $25.
__________________
855d05149c8915538dbad94c796751cc
Old 01-22-2011, 02:14 PM theNoid is offline  
Reply With Quote
#18  

Cads
 
I don't get the big deal about game prices. I just make sure I invest in games with very high replay value, anything else (short singleplayer stories) are rentals or borrow from a friend.

If you average out the cost of a new game over the hours you're going to get out of it, it's one of the cheapest forms of mainstream entertainment out there.

This is why I love sports and online multiplayer games. If I average 7 games of NHL11 a week (3.5 hrs) until the next yearly release , it's about $ 0.44 an hour. It doesn't get much cheaper than that.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:58 AM Cads is offline  
Reply With Quote
#19  

Fiah
Sinds ik als transseksuele prostituee bezig ben, heb ik mezelf eindelijk leren accepteren. PM me voo
 
Fiah's Avatar
 
Big multiplayer games that I know I'll love get bought at release for whatever they're asking, really.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:13 AM Fiah is offline  
Reply With Quote
#20  

Vandal
 
Anyone remember N64 games? I bought OoT for like 80 bucks on release, and I remember those games usually being >65 buck every time, and this was what, 10 years ago? It's really not that big of a deal.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:02 AM Vandal is offline  
Reply With Quote
#21  

MrBojangels
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
Anyone remember N64 games? I bought OoT for like 80 bucks on release, and I remember those games usually being >65 buck every time, and this was what, 10 years ago? It's really not that big of a deal.

It is when the biggest game series, Call of Duty, is on a yearly release cycle and the games are horrible. It's just one big video game mill churning out constant shit and asking $60 for it(because people pay it). Games lack today lack heart and soul like the games of the last 2 generations.

Last edited by MrBojangels; 01-23-2011 at 01:09 PM..
Old 01-23-2011, 12:23 PM MrBojangels is offline  
Reply With Quote
#22  

Drizzt
 
Drizzt's Avatar
 
totally. That's why i love games that come from bioware. Because they really put alot of heart into their games. They won't settle for anything less than amazing.
__________________
MBON|gHub|LbYpavflKJ
59fce89076a3d2f5851e8c291f40e708

"Do not be afraid of the darkness, be afraid of what it hides"

- Drizzt Do'Urden

d53f78fef409408e2230f13db8ca19bb [pornmay.com]

b93149b95e0d7e32a815b7ae4e95c3d6
Old 01-23-2011, 02:04 PM Drizzt is offline  
Reply With Quote
#23  

Menel
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiler View Post
It's starting to look that way. It started with Starcraft 2 mainly, since then EA has hopped on board. Dragon Age 2, Dead Space 2.
WTF are you talking about? Or what rock did you just crawl out from under?

Quote:
Diablo II is available immediately at most computer and software retail chains for approximately $60.
http://web.archive.org/web/200102040...s/000717.shtml

Now that you've reached Y2K, maybe you'll come on forward to the decade we're actually in...
Old 01-23-2011, 03:51 PM Menel is offline  
Reply With Quote
#24  

Menel
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt View Post
totally. That's why i love games that come from bioware. Because they really put alot of heart into their games. They won't settle for anything less than amazing.
You mean like how the NPC at the first camp site wanted you to log online and pay more money to experience his quest line... you have to pay us even more money for this part of the game which was done, but we thought we'd just gauge you for a little bit more.

No... bioware is dead to me.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:52 PM Menel is offline  
Reply With Quote
#25  

growler
Since I continuously bitch when The Queen posts, she is my new av.
 
growler's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
You mean like how the NPC at the first camp site wanted you to log online and pay more money to experience his quest line... you have to pay us even more money for this part of the game which was done, but we thought we'd just gauge you for a little bit more.

No... bioware is dead to me.

I'm also not a fan of the direction dragon age 2 is taking with their already announced DLC
__________________
<----popnfresh
http://www.uploderx.net/dphrag/assholecrew974.jpg
Old 01-23-2011, 03:54 PM growler is offline  
Reply With Quote
#26  

MrBojangels
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
No... bioware is dead to me.
Glad I didn't have to say it.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:57 PM MrBojangels is offline  
Reply With Quote
#27  

lonedawg
Stiler
 
lonedawg's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
WTF are you talking about? Or what rock did you just crawl out from under?


http://web.archive.org/web/200102040...s/000717.shtml

Now that you've reached Y2K, maybe you'll come on forward to the decade we're actually in...

are you an idiot, you do know what "average" means right?HAving one game be 60 isn't the average.

Pc games weren't 60 bucks on average. The avg price of pc games has been 39-49 bucks.

Now with SCII it's rippled from Activision moving that way to EA doing the same, Dead space 2, Dragon age 2, etc.

In the future it seems that any, AAA game from either EA or Activision on the pc will carry the $60 price tag.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:36 PM lonedawg is offline  
Reply With Quote
#28  

chronage
 
chronage's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
Anyone remember N64 games? I bought OoT for like 80 bucks on release, and I remember those games usually being >65 buck every time, and this was what, 10 years ago? It's really not that big of a deal.

80 bucks...and very difficult to find even at that price, especially the gold cart edition.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:30 PM chronage is offline  
Reply With Quote
#29  

Drizzt
 
Drizzt's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronage View Post
80 bucks...and very difficult to find even at that price, especially the gold cart edition.

i got the gold cart edition

first game i ever pre ordered.
__________________
MBON|gHub|LbYpavflKJ
59fce89076a3d2f5851e8c291f40e708

"Do not be afraid of the darkness, be afraid of what it hides"

- Drizzt Do'Urden

d53f78fef409408e2230f13db8ca19bb [pornmay.com]

b93149b95e0d7e32a815b7ae4e95c3d6
Old 01-23-2011, 05:43 PM Drizzt is offline  
Reply With Quote
#30  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:25 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.