General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

growler
Since I continuously bitch when The Queen posts, she is my new av.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangels View Post
Piracy has been possible since the jailbreak showed up on the scene hasn't it?

this is without a dongle and with semi-official firmware

semi-official only because it is custom but the only thing he added was an option to install .pkg files other than that it's purely sony's firmware

it's the first steps towards playing backups without having to "jailbreak" the system and keeping it legitimately updated using sony's official firmware if you use the jailbreak thumbdrives you have to stick to 3.41 and you can't play anything online

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

theNoid

These changes are getting me very interested in a PS3. I was thinking about building a proper media center PC to replace media center extender on my 360. If I could get XBMC on PS3... and somehow Netflix+Hulu onboard.. I would leap.

growler

Quote:
Originally Posted by theNoid View Post
These changes are getting me very interested in a PS3. I was thinking about building a proper media center PC to replace media center extender on my 360. If I could get XBMC on PS3... and somehow Netflix+Hulu onboard.. I would leap.

someone is already working on getting XBMC signed

Codesage

Gotta say, I am intrigued by the SNES emulator. Once you get the emulator installed, how does it compare to a modded PSP in terms of functionality?

blackbeaSSt

gawd i hope this makes video on the intraweb look better. youtube looks like youass when played through the ps3

_cashel

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
it's the first steps towards playing backups without having to "jailbreak" the system and keeping it legitimately updated using sony's official firmware if you use the jailbreak thumbdrives you have to stick to 3.41 and you can't play anything online

so can you play online after doing this one?

I don't even care about piracy, if they can add MKV support w/ the media player and make it so I can dump my GT5, MW, and BF2 discs on the drive so I don't have to get my ass up to change discs I'll be happy.

growler

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cashel View Post

I don't even care about piracy, if they can add MKV support w/ the media player and make it so I can dump my GT5, MW, and BF2 discs on the drive so I don't have to get my ass up to change discs I'll be happy.

yep you can upgrade to the current firmware update which is 3.55, install geohots custom 3.55 which only adds a .pkg install option and still play online

only homebrew is running at the moment and a very few select games without the backup manager but it's still pretty crazy the progress they've made so far

also someone already created custom firmware with peek and poke which will allow whoever to create a new backup manager to rip discs and load any game image off the hdd

eNforcer
wigglesworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cashel View Post

Use PS3 Media Server for mkv videos. It transcodes all resolutions on-the-fly to the ps3 wirelessly and wired. I recommend wired, but it can be done via wireless without buffering if you tweak it. It has subtitle support, too

MrBojangels

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNforcer View Post
Use PS3 Media Server for mkv videos. It transcodes all resolutions on-the-fly to the ps3 wirelessly and wired. I recommend wired, but it can be done via wireless without buffering if you tweak it. It has subtitle support, too

It's not the same as native playback.

theNoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
someone is already working on getting XBMC signed

Nice, also as I understand it there are ways to get Hulu working, albeit tricky. Netflix on the other hand is running on Silverlight and its my understanding that Silverlight is a no-go on Linux.

Time will tell, comeon homebrew community you can do it!

growler

Quote:
Originally Posted by theNoid View Post
Nice, also as I understand it there are ways to get Hulu working, albeit tricky. Netflix on the other hand is running on Silverlight and its my understanding that Silverlight is a no-go on Linux.

Time will tell, comeon homebrew community you can do it!

netflix is already built into the xmb natively

hulu plus is also available natively on the system but requires a playstation+ subscription

edit: actually I think hulu is available to non playstation plus subscribers but it's still hulu plus which requires their monthly fee

growler

Quote:

thats fine and dandy but now that people can write programs for the ps3 we want to be able to play them directly off the system without having to stream and possibly losing quality along the way

eNforcer
wigglesworth

Yes but going that route you are going to have to transfer your media to some sort of storage device every time you want to watch something. The ps3 media server sits in my taskbar and i can simply browse the directory on my ps3 exactly like you would with the native media player.

MrBojangels

Quote:
Yes but going that route you are going to have to transfer your media to some sort of storage device every time you want to watch something. The ps3 media server sits in my taskbar and i can simply browse the directory on my ps3 exactly like you would with the native media player.

The problem is you need some hefty hardware to transcode audio that the PS3 can't support on the fly(or let your PC get bogged down when others might be watching something), with XBMC all you need is a NAS to stream the file.

Alternatively you could setup something like XBMC so that files get downloaded directly to the internal drive on the PS3 so you can take it with you and still have your stuff to watch.

growler

PSN games are making their way to the scene signed and perfectly working on geohot's firmware