General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

nD[ - Slayer

CS:S Competitive help

So I used to be a die-hard CS player, leagues, scrims, endless hours in irc finding ringers, you know the drill.

Well now a bunch of my former team members want to start up again. I'm all for it, but there's some issues that have arisen since I played however long ago.

My 100Hz CRT has since been replaced with a new 54" plasma. Now while it's nice and big and all that, it's stuck at 60Hz, which means vsync sticks me at 60fps, which doesn't give me optimal netcode. Since your netcode is basically dictated by how many frames you're drawing, I'm put at a disadvantage against guys running 100fps vsynced, that is unless I want horrific screen tearing that makes it difficult to play.

Question is, can I optimize running at a constant 60fps and still be able to compete?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

sir tex

Turn off vsync, set fps_max to 100

iirc.

nD[ - Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir tex View Post
Turn off vsync, set fps_max to 100

iirc.

Too much screen tearing, plus the max fps in CSS is somewhere around 300.

sir tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by nD[ - Slayer View Post
Too much screen tearing, plus the max fps in CSS is somewhere around 300.

sounds like it sucks to be you then

Biospider

how does fps affect netcode?

edit: to give someone an advantage... ??

edit2: get a 120 Hz LCD display if it makes such a big difference for you

teh scud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biospider View Post
how does fps affect netcode?

edit: to give someone an advantage... ??

edit2: get a 120 Hz LCD display if it makes such a big difference for you

I don't know if CS is built this way, but I guess network updates could be updated only when a new frame is drawn. I don't think most games do that though... you could test it by capping your framerate at like 2 fps and ask a friend to tell you if you seem laggy (they'd need to turn off interp etc)

I'd ditch v-sync regardless -- I hate the delayed feeling. You shouldn't get screen tearing unless you're dropping frames. Try capping framerate at your TV's refresh rate (60).

Last edited by teh scud; 11-19-2010 at 04:08 PM..

nD[ - Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh scud View Post
I don't know if CS is built this way, but I guess network updates could be updated only when a new frame is drawn. I don't think most games do that though... you could test it by capping your framerate at like 2 fps and ask a friend to tell you if you seem laggy (they'd need to turn off interp etc)

I'd ditch v-sync regardless -- I hate the delayed feeling. You shouldn't get screen tearing unless you're dropping frames. Try capping framerate at your TV's refresh rate (60).

The way source (and HL1 since source is built from the same tech) works with netcode is it updates to the server every time a frame is drawn. Most new games handle netcode on a different thread so it's a non-issue.

It's painfully obvious if you've ever messed with the netcode, there's a reason you set all the client update rates and command rates to 101 because in 1.6, 100fps was max for the engine, therefor you were sending/receiving the most data possible (provided you had a solid connection).

But no vsync? Are you crazy? Makes it look and feel so much smoother, I don't wanna see tears all over the place :P

To clarify, the tearing is happening because CS:S is trying to draw 100+ frames a second while my tv is locked at 60Hz. Vsync is in essence just making CS:S run at 60fps because that's the frequency my tv runs on.

Last edited by nD[ - Slayer; 11-19-2010 at 06:35 PM..

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

I always turn off vsync since it feels like i'm sliding when I have it on

Rizen

Buy a 120Hz LCD. /thread

jonnydooluvsu

turn off vsync, buy a 120hz tv , buy a old crt. these are the choices i see and the only i feel will solve the issue.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnydooluvsu View Post
turn off vsync, buy a 120hz tv , buy a old crt. these are the choices i see and the only i feel will solve the issue.

Run at 640x480
Use a ps2 mouse and "overclock" it (crank up the polling rate)
Use a sharpie to mark the center pixel on your screen

chronage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Run at 640x480

lawls

nD[ - Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Run at 640x480

You used to be able alt-tab out, then back into CS and the mouse cursor would overlay onto the screen and always be centered. It was quick scope heaven.

brass_monkey

Quote:
You used to be able alt-tab out, then back into CS and the mouse cursor would overlay onto the screen and always be centered. It was quick scope heaven.
Haha, I did that. The scout was amazing when I learnt this.

Malakai

Quote:
So I used to be a die-hard CS player, leagues, scrims, endless hours in irc finding ringers, you know the drill.

Well now a bunch of my former team members want to start up again. I'm all for it, but there's some issues that have arisen since I played however long ago.

My 100Hz CRT has since been replaced with a new 54" plasma. Now while it's nice and big and all that, it's stuck at 60Hz, which means vsync sticks me at 60fps, which doesn't give me optimal netcode. Since your netcode is basically dictated by how many frames you're drawing, I'm put at a disadvantage against guys running 100fps vsynced, that is unless I want horrific screen tearing that makes it difficult to play.

Question is, can I optimize running at a constant 60fps and still be able to compete?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Not many people are playing with CRTs anymore so you arent going to be disadvantaged vs that many other players.

I mean its almost impossible to even find a crt anymore much less one with decent size.

You can try to find a 120hz gaming monitor but I do not even know if they are around yet, or what they cost. My 60hz 24" 1920x1200 widescreen does me just fine. Not that I have ever played any CS more than casually.