General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

chuckybob
Mario raped Peach in her fuzzy spot while twisting and twirling his mustache sexylike

wow, this game looks even cooler with textures

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

teh scud

BORKED

Recorded some footage and made a trailer last night for IGF submission

teh scud

Purchased some middleware I'll be using to redo the menus/loadout etc

vid showcasing middleware: http://www.anbsoft.com/middleware/ez...ase/index.html

crumbaker

Was going to add some bolts but the poly count is already going to be high. Let me know what ya think scud.

MooK

I would say higher polycount is fine (today's computers are pretty robust.) Textures can make up for intricate detail if you need them to.

teh scud

That's looking awesome!

And I think polycount is all about being efficient -- areas that aren't seen up close just don't need as much poly detail (especially when it can be mostly replicated with normal map/textures)

teh scud

Hey I'd love to get the files so I can have something for our animator to do haha -- you think it'll be ready soon? Looks great to me already

crumbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh scud View Post
Hey I'd love to get the files so I can have something for our animator to do haha -- you think it'll be ready soon? Looks great to me already

well this week I have 3 possibly 4 days off starting wednesday. I will work on it, decided to add some bolts to make the center part not look so plain.

Retopo should be easy, I have never uv mapped in zbrush so going to give that a whirl.

If he wants the high poly model just to screw around with then he's more than welcome to have that, but I don't think any animation programs work with 1 million plus polys, could always decimate it but that would still leave it in the tens of thousands of polys and they would be triangles instead of quads.

Anyways i'll work on the retopo first so he'll have something to screw around with. Did you have a polygon goal you were trying to go with the weapons? I was planning on trying to keep it under 5k when done.

teh scud

Yeah I'll just wait for lowpoly version

Hope to have it soon though.

teh scud

In general, I've had to put SpaceJunk development on hold so I can concentrate on game projects that have a better chance of making me some money. But today I threw SpaceJunk onto Kongregate.com -- you can play it anytime http://www.kongregate.com/games/Over...ames/spacejunk

I'll try to have a server up 24/7 but if people are playing I'll work on adding a server browser.

It's part of a Unity contest on Kongregate -- if you are feeling nice, it'd be a huge help if you rate the game high

?psalus
Apsalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamega2 View Post
exactly like stupid ass "avatar" mech s...why have the fucking mechs have hands and actually hold onto/be able to be disarmed? moronical
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamega2 View Post
lol. form over function. rogerrrrr. HEY GUYS I CAN TARGET AND TAKE OUT THE LEGS...O WAIT>>> WAT THEY DO NOTHING
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamega2
Your fictional designs are wrong!
You're warped. Go shit-up the main board where no one cares.

Codesage

That is some sexy ass shit.

RazorWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apsalus View Post
You're warped. Go shit-up the main board where no one cares.

He actually does make a semi-valid point. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have "mechs" with arms and legs if they don't use the arms and legs for anything. No engineer would actually design a vehicle that has highly complex articulated components like that if they didn't serve a useful purpose.

That said, it doesn't have to make sense, given that it's a video game.

Codesage

Take away the arms and legs, and it's no longer a 'mech'....that's kinda the point. Replace the arms with hardpoints, and the legs with engines, and at that point, it's no different than a ship.

teh scud

They use the arms to hold the guns etc. They can theoretically use the legs to walk around. Maybe the mechs weren't originally designed for combat. Who knows. Who cares. They have arms and legs because it's more boring to shoot at static ships.