General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

RazorWind

Good deal.

Also, an idea I had while I was playing around with it yesterday:

What is the feasibility of making the grapple usable at the same time as at least some of the weapons?

I ask this because it occurred to me that you could potentially use the grapple to swing around things while shooting, which would be all kinds of fun. I seem to recall there being something similar to this done in Ender's Game, which, if nothing else, would be a cool little homage.

Last edited by RazorWind; 09-13-2010 at 01:11 PM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

teh scud

Update on the flag room concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind View Post
Good deal.

Also, an idea I had while I was playing around with it yesterday:

What is the feasibility of making the grapple usable at the same time as at least some of the weapons?

I ask this because it occurred to me that you could potentially use the grapple to swing around things while shooting, which would be all kinds of fun. I seem to recall there being something similar to this done in Ender's Game, which, if nothing else, would be a cool little homage.

The existing grapple already uses both mouse buttons (when swinging, you can reel yourself in with left click) so I don't see how I could allow swinging and shooting (plus you'd have to switch weapons and it'd get pretty complicated). I think I may end up having a grapple (equipment slot, like the one now -- but I'm also thinking of some way to let you anchor yourself to a wall with it) and an offensive grapple (weapon slot, with less grapple functionality but with some way to do damage).

Worth noting that with the existing grapple, if you hit a player with it it'll cripple them temporarily -- bit of time for you to switch weapons and do some damage.

teh scud

Playtest at 10pm central time again

teh scud

crumbaker

well this was my first time playing it since I almost always work on sundays and here's what I thought

1. The grappling gun was simple and worked well.
2. The movement was well done although I would have liked to have been able to move faster.
3. Hit detection seemed spot on

Dislikes:

1.Hated the slowed gates, think they should be taken out, the entire concept.
2. Level design (although I'm sure this is mostly a placeholder), tunnels going nowhere and the bases too close together and no real sense of direction towards the flags
3. turrets and invisibility, personal preference but I don't care for either.

Overall this seems to have a lot of promise and with some good level designers could be a great game.

Still working on the model of the gun

teh scud

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbaker View Post
2. The movement was well done although I would have liked to have been able to move faster.
Many people aren't aware of the boost -- you can hit ctrl to boost yourself quite fast.

Quote:
3. Hit detection seemed spot on
Thanks -- it was very important to me for the game to feel like it wasn't fucking with you. If it looks like you hit them, you hit him.

Quote:
1.Hated the slowed gates, think they should be taken out, the entire concept.
Hmm -- Were you aware that you could disable the enemy slow gates by destroying their generator? The intent is to limit offensive options while the base defenses are online, requiring teamwork to sort of "open up" the base for an easier flag capture.

The turnout for this playtest was like half of what we usually get, so unfortunately there wasn't much teamwork going on.

Quote:
2. Level design (although I'm sure this is mostly a placeholder), tunnels going nowhere and the bases too close together and no real sense of direction towards the flags
I agree the bases are too close together (this map is intentionally small since I anticipate it'll be a while before servers are crowded). There's no dead ends (except for the spawn), but I know one of the corridors can look like one (if you go to the end, you'll see it turns a corner).

Quote:
3. turrets and invisibility, personal preference but I don't care for either.
There's no invisibility -- I should rename stealth mode to 'silent running' or something. Stealth mode basically just removes the lense flare (colored 'x') and reduces how much sound you make while moving, which seems pretty worthless, but for the sniper it can be a great advantage.

I really appreciate the feedback -- gives me a chance to clarify things and rethink decisions.

Quote:
Overall this seems to have a lot of promise and with some good level designers could be a great game.

Still working on the model of the gun
Awesome thanks

teh scud

http://www.facebook.com/pages/SpaceJunk/117690268284372 we have a facebook page -- appreciate any followers!

teh scud

Finished new weapon today -- replaces the missile launcher I had in before. No lockon -- just shoots out explosives. These explosives also push around players and debris.

Primary fire functions as an automatic weapon -- they'll detonate after a period and you can also bounce them off walls (they'll detonate shortly after a bounce). Good for creating chaos in interior spaces.

Secondary fire (hold) shoots out two -- letting go of the right mouse button will detonate them. Good for getting a precise and deadly explosion.

DopefishLives
The Artist Formerly Known As StratocasterMaster, I was so [H]ard Kyle could feel it in Texas and got

I'm not sure what's going on in that video, but from what you are saying, it sounds a lot like the Tribes era of FPS greatness.

I'm interested, especially if you make the 'lack of gravity' thing play out fully. IE: Weapons, particularly larger ones, push you back, etc.

teh scud

Playtest is same time as last week (10pm central time) tonight. link to facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=117132881677392

This week we have a new weapon and [what I hope to be] big improvements to the flag code, the shield, and the repair kit (along with lots of other small changes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopefishLives View Post
I'm not sure what's going on in that video, but from what you are saying, it sounds a lot like the Tribes era of FPS greatness.

I'm interested, especially if you make the 'lack of gravity' thing play out fully. IE: Weapons, particularly larger ones, push you back, etc.
That's exactly what I'm trying to do

DopefishLives
The Artist Formerly Known As StratocasterMaster, I was so [H]ard Kyle could feel it in Texas and got

Awesome -- I'll try to play tonight if I'm available.

DopefishLives

So playtest starts at 10pm central, 11pm eastern -- when will the downloads be available to prepare?

teh scud

download links usually go up about 10-20 minutes beforehand -- all you have to do is unzip it and run it.

teh scud

links are up and server is up - http://blog.dfyb.net/?page_id=654

Stealthmode
needs moar stealhmode

that was...actually fun. And the fact that everytime I hit "t" I would go into stealthmode certainly didnt hurt.

ill ruminate on what can be improved and post later.