General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

jfnirvana292
I had this name since 1796.

What 9mm to Buy?

I'd like to get a 9mm for mainly target practice... My budget is under $600. Ive been looking at the XDm, but I am open to options. Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Pudah

Im partial to Glock, but people tend to love or hate them, for better or worse.

I also like the M&P, and you certainly could do worse than a Springfield XDM. The S&W Sigma is pretty much a Glock knock off for less money, but any of the above should come in under $600 and suit you just fine.

It all comes down to what you want it for. Is it just for target practice, or do you want it mainly for home defense, but you'll mostly end up using it to shoot targets because hopefully you wont ever need to use it for defense? Will you ever think of carrying, if you can? Do you want a manual safety or is that not important to you? Do you want something you can put away and forget about and pull from a drawer and shoot without having to think about it or do anyting? Do you want something that can hold up to harsh conditions, or do you want the longest barrel for accuracy, or porting to get back on target quickly. These things all change from one gun to the next.

Go to a range and rent a few and see how they fit your hand and see if the angle of the grip works for you and how you shoot. If you want it for any other purposes consider the weight and size.

Founding [M]ember of the Blizzard in my sig club.
Blizzard Entertainment
131 Theory
Irvine, CA 92612

Chilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudah View Post
Im partial to Glock, but people tend to love or hate them, for better or worse.

...snip...

Go to a range and rent a few and see how they fit your hand and see if the angle of the grip works for you and how you shoot. If you want it for any other purposes consider the weight and size.

I'm on the other side of the Glock fence, the grip never feels quite right for me I'm not saying they're not great guns but I'm more partial to the 1911 grip angle.

If it's for target practice/plinking and you're not concerned about concealment check out a Beretta 92. I love the way they feel in my hands and they have an excellent track record.

For pure recreational shooting find a gun that works and feels good in your hands.

someone else

Full size M&P9.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Shooting:
Nikon D300, Rolleiflex 2.8F, Nikon F100, Olympus OM-1, Pentax 645

Rancidpunk666

FNP

also should be able to get a 92Fs for that.
.......v
Grandpa Motors (GM) pussrods and leafsprings

CommiePunk
my rectum bleeds everyday

[QUOTE=Pudah;24611288 The S&W Sigma is pretty much a Glock knock off for less money, .[/QUOTE]

no, not at all. sigmas are garbage guns, complete shit.

Pudah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommiePunk View Post
no, not at all. sigmas are garbage guns, complete shit.

Yeah, they are not similar at all. That's why Glock sued the shit out of them, and why S&W had to pay Glock for the use of their patented trigger system. I'm not saying they are a high end gun, but they aren't that bad, and they're affordable. Internally their function is almost identical to a Glock, they look and feel different in your hand, something people don't like about Glocks.

Blizzard Entertainment
131 Theory
Irvine, CA 92612

CommiePunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudah View Post
Yeah, they are not similar at all. That's why Glock sued the shit out of them, and why S&W had to pay Glock for the use of their patented trigger system. I'm not saying they are a high end gun, but they aren't that bad, and they're affordable. Internally their function is almost identical to a Glock, they look and feel different in your hand, something people don't like about Glocks.

they're junk. they jam like crazy and the front sights were falling off for no reason. there's a reason nobody wants one and they're cheap. Smith makes some halfway decent autos and i have a 4013. My agency had Sigmas for 2 months and got rid of them ASAP.

Pudah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommiePunk View Post
they're junk. they jam like crazy and the front sights were falling off for no reason. there's a reason nobody wants one and they're cheap. Smith makes some halfway decent autos and i have a 4013. My agency had Sigmas for 2 months and got rid of them ASAP.

I had never heard that. Was this prior to 2004? They seemed fine to me. Nothing special, but a decent lower cost pistol. I never put one through it's paces though.

Blizzard Entertainment
131 Theory
Irvine, CA 92612

Caelum

This thread is similar to one we just had. Go feel the pistols out. See what you like in your hand. Go to a shooting range that rents guns and shoot alot of them
Try:
Glock (I think the grip angle is too steep and uncomfortable but the gun has a great track record for reliability)
M&P (perfect IMO)
Walther (fits in the hand really well but I've never shot one)
Sig (Top heavy IMO)
XDm (The bore is real high over the grip and causes a different sort of recoil. More aggressive recoil. I wouldnt suggest this gun to anyone)
Beretta m9 (mushiest trigger in the world)

CommiePunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelum View Post
This thread is similar to one we just had. Go feel the pistols out. See what you like in your hand. Go to a shooting range that rents guns and shoot alot of them
Try:
Glock (I think the grip angle is too steep and uncomfortable but the gun has a great track record for reliability)
M&P (perfect IMO)
Walther (fits in the hand really well but I've never shot one)
Sig (Top heavy IMO)
XDm (The bore is real high over the grip and causes a different sort of recoil. More aggressive recoil. I wouldnt suggest this gun to anyone)

the trigger pull on a Walther is rediculous, heavier than any other i've had. i think the first one is like 18lbs or something crazy like that

Caelum

WHAAAAAT!!!!????

that has to be a joke. I'm seriously laughing if that's the real pull

Ok. Had to look it up, not to argue but for my own curiosity. Wikipedia says its a 4.5lb pull which isnt heavy. However if you fired the (DAO) double action only model, then yeah I could imagine it being MUCH heavier

In further looking I found this.
http://www.handgunforum.net/walther/...r-systems.html
If thats at all accurate

11lbs!!!!! Goodnight thats fucking heavy! But 5lb for single action isnt bad

Regardless, go shooting and buy what you like after shooting different guns

Pudah

18 seems a bit high. They seem to range between 12-14 (for DA of course less for SA... <5) depending on the model.

Blizzard Entertainment
131 Theory
Irvine, CA 92612

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps
My dick: more mass than the earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelum View Post

Technically the recoil is the same all things being equal- the perceived recoil seems greater because of muzzle flip which increases as the bore rises further from the hand.

COSC

I'd say M&P or Glock. I own Glocks, but really like the M&P