General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
L33T_h4x0r_d00d
 
L33T_h4x0r_d00d's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudah View Post
I see your point, but it's not slightly more. Slightly more to me would be 10-15% maybe? They are about 100% more than the hi-point. To you, and even to me an extra $100-200 isn't a whole lot for a gun, but for some people it is. Namely a first time buyer on a budget that isn't quite sure they need/want the gun anyway. They may not be able to justify $325, but can justify $125. Opening that door to those people is a very good thing. I honestly feel that the more responsible gun owners we have out there the better.

A used bersa can be had for $125-$175. There is no reason to buy a high point if you can find a used bersa or even a taurus in that price range.
__________________
Guns are awesome, if you disagree kill yourself with a knife. -POVRayMan
Old 11-29-2010, 07:24 PM L33T_h4x0r_d00d is offline  
Reply With Quote
#31  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Pudah
 
Pudah's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by L33T_h4x0r_d00d View Post
A used bersa can be had for $125-$175. There is no reason to buy a high point if you can find a used bersa or even a taurus in that price range.

Someone new to owning a gun may want a new firearm with a no questions asked lifetime warranty vs. a used firearm with no warranty and an unknown history. That said, if you want to compare potential quality of a well maintained, used bersa or taurus to a new hi-point, you have a point.
__________________
__ |7 (_) [) /\ |-| __

Founding [M]ember of the Blizzard in my sig club.
Blizzard Entertainment
131 Theory
Irvine, CA 92612
Old 11-29-2010, 08:48 PM Pudah is offline  
Reply With Quote
#32  

Caelum
 
nm
Old 11-30-2010, 06:03 AM Caelum is offline  
Reply With Quote
#33  

L33T_h4x0r_d00d
 
L33T_h4x0r_d00d's Avatar
 
Both Bersa and Taurus have lifetime warranties. Bersa says its for the initial buyer only but I've never seen them refuse a warranty repair.
__________________
Guns are awesome, if you disagree kill yourself with a knife. -POVRayMan
Old 11-30-2010, 07:21 AM L33T_h4x0r_d00d is offline  
Reply With Quote
#34  

zsu2357
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudah View Post
Was it $300 including tax and background check fee, etc? Is it a nice holster and good ammo or reloads? I ask only because it seems like you got hosed a little on the price. These things are super cheap and vendors have little room to negotiate because they don't mark them up very much (they can't to compete because they are "cheap" pistols). You got a lot for $300, but maybe could have gotten it for $250? It isn't so bad if that was the price of everything I guess.

That said, you are going to catch a lot of shit from people for owning a hi-point. On the internet, at the range, wherever. Fuck them. I love hi-point, and if they did their research they wouldnt bash them so much. The only reason to dislike hi-points would be if someone was pretending it was something that it's not. What it is is a quality, reliable, functional pistol at an excellent price. It's not sexy, it's not the best at anything, and it's not popular. It's also not the worst at anything, not horrible looking, and still is a lot of fun. Do your research and learn up about it. There are plenty of industry folk that looked into it and found them to be decent handguns and a way for people that otherwise might be priced out of the market to get into owning a gun. Even better regarded is their carbine, so if you want a rifle, and dont want to spend a lot of money, check it out. They're super ugly, but there are a lot of cheap, good looking kits for them.

I used to own a hi-point 9mm. It was a great gun. I sold it and moved up when I had more money, but it served it's purpose just fine. It didn't used to be all polymer, so it is actually lighter than before... believe it or not. It is pretty accurate, and doesn't need much maintenance, but be sure to keep moisture away and the metal oiled. That grip screw will rust easily too. It isn't easy to break down, but it is actually designed to be a simple to own/maintain gun. Basically it is fine to clean what you can see. You don't need to strip it. Clean the chamber and the barrel from time to time and you're fine. That's what the manufacturer recommends and they back it up with a lifetime no questions asked warranty. They have you pay to ship the gun as "parts" to them for any problem, and they will then return it for free, and pay you back by sending a couple of extended mags for your trouble. The sights are adjustable, which is nice. It is heavy, but very solid. Some people love the blowback design and others hate it, but it fits well in your hand. Just keep your thumb away from the slide when you shoot. I would never use this as a carry weapon, but it's perfect for home defense or as your first gun. It is safe to shoot +p ammo and even reloads (though I still wouldnt use reloads) in this gun. The only knock I had on it was that it can have some feed issues depending on what ammo you use. If you find a type of ammo that is problematic you can either not use it, fix the problem with a pair of pliers (some go further and polish the feed ramp, but pliers to the mags is usually enough) or send it in and they fix it for free and send you back additional mags.

I had mine at a range with a friend and he tried it and my glock and was deciding on a gun for himself. He preferred the feel and action of the hi-point and bought it on the spot. Again, be ready to catch some shit for it, but they just dont know better.
9mm 160-185$ new,so 300$ for a .45 with the goodies isn't bad.Personally I agree with
you the hell what anyone thinks(except the guy that thought it would be a good idea to break into your house).
To sum it up...accurate,reliable and just as deadly. 9mm,.40,.45 .
Old 12-02-2010, 04:56 PM zsu2357 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#35  

zsu2357
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelum View Post
Anyone who ever refers to a magazine as a clip is 100% wrong.


This one's sort of funny


http://lmgtfy.com/?q=clip+vs+magazine

Clip is the wrong word for magazine. A magazine is an enclosed part to hold ammunition where as a clip is literally a metal clip that clasps the back of the round to hold them in place, but in an exposed manner.

Its like saying a seat belt is an airbag. Its not. They're different. They may both save your life so they have a similar funsction, but they're 2 100% absolutely different things.
I keep two loaded clips for my 9mm,when that "clip"goes in it becomes a moot point.
I've heard it both ways to,all I care about really is how fast I can get it in.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:05 PM zsu2357 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#36  

zsu2357
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritalinjoe View Post
The nice thing about buying a Hi-Point as a first gun is you can only move up from there.

Well I take that back, there are plenty of saturday night specials that are much worse.
First gun my ass..one of the better ones.I see you never had one.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:15 PM zsu2357 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#37  

zsu2357
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by L33T_h4x0r_d00d View Post
There are only a couple of brands we wont take in trade. Jennings, raven and hipoint are the top 3. Too many bad experiences.
Why would anyone trade in a hi-point when they have a no questions asked lifetime warranty,regardless of how many owners.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:20 PM zsu2357 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#38  

zsu2357
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudah View Post
I see your point, but it's not slightly more. Slightly more to me would be 10-15% maybe? They are about 100% more than the hi-point. To you, and even to me an extra $100-200 isn't a whole lot for a gun, but for some people it is. Namely a first time buyer on a budget that isn't quite sure they need/want the gun anyway. They may not be able to justify $325, but can justify $125. Opening that door to those people is a very good thing. I honestly feel that the more responsible gun owners we have out there the better.

Yes my mind is made up. No, you wont convince me these are the worst guns on earth and nobody should own them. I am not saying anything that drastic here. I don't claim they are the best pistol on the market. I don't claim they are anything that they are not. There really isn't anything to change my mind about. In my opinion most, not all, hi-point detractors are either brand elitist, and/or have no significant first hand experience with one.
And that says it all.Some people just gotta have brand name.
The only real issue I have with them is that they also attract irresponsible owners, criminals, and thugs. However, this is true of any entry level or low priced firearm, so it's hard to hold it against them. Aat least their ugliness, heaviness and tendency to cause printing keeps some of the wrong people away.
Even criminals don't care about price in as much as they are probably stolen as opposed
to bought legally(dealer,private owner). Irresponsible owners?I'll by that.(no pun)lol.
Quote:
brand elitist, and/or have no significant first hand experience with one.
And that says it all.Some people just gotta have brand name.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:38 PM zsu2357 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#39  

L33T_h4x0r_d00d
 
L33T_h4x0r_d00d's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsu2357 View Post
Why would anyone trade in a hi-point when they have a no questions asked lifetime warranty,regardless of how many owners.

__________________
Guns are awesome, if you disagree kill yourself with a knife. -POVRayMan
Old 12-02-2010, 06:11 PM L33T_h4x0r_d00d is offline  
Reply With Quote
#40  

OkieOFT
 
My first handgun was a Bersa .380. Most unreliable POS ever. Had a little spring that had something to do with the disconnector. That thing would fall out all the time and render the gun completely inoperable. It's a well known, well documented problem that apparently comes back even after being fixed at the factory. Was a fun little gun when it worked, but I couldn't get through a single mag without that spring popping out of place. I took it back and traded it towards a RIA 1911 and couldn't have been happier.

I'd take a Hi Point over a piece of crap Bersa any day.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:00 PM OkieOFT is offline  
Reply With Quote
#41  

zeos
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelum View Post
Anyone who ever refers to a magazine as a clip is 100% wrong.

trolling is an art; unless you're talking to gun nerds, then it is like shooting fish in a barrel.

it doesn't matter how right you are when you are talking about colloquialisms. for most people a clip is a magazine, just like when you walk into a restaurant in the south and they ask what kind of coke you want. the fact is you, my brother, and your ilk will continue to be frustrated by the general public's ignorance because the general public does not give a shit for the difference between clips and magazines.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:18 AM zeos is offline  
Reply With Quote
#42  

zsu2357
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeos View Post
trolling is an art; unless you're talking to gun nerds, then it is like shooting fish in a barrel.

it doesn't matter how right you are when you are talking about colloquialisms. for most people a clip is a magazine, just like when you walk into a restaurant in the south and they ask what kind of coke you want. the fact is you, my brother, and your ilk will continue to be frustrated by the general public's ignorance because the general public does not give a shit for the difference between clips and magazines.
Hmmm very well put.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:23 PM zsu2357 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#43  

Copejunkie
 
Honestly I don't see the good deal in this... a much better (used, yes! older? yes!) pistol could could have been had for around the same price.

I can be quoted on my dislikes for Glocks (but I have always said they are damn fine shooting guns, and well proven guns) a month ago I picked up a second generation Glock 22 (with trigger safety) with three mags, case, 50rds of 180g .40, brush and speedloader for $325. Is it an older gun? yes. Does it shoot good? Yes... and it's a Glock, and I've put at least 500 rounds through it so far of the cheapest ammo I can buy, and haven't had an issue.

A cheap pistol is a cheap pistol... If thats what you want, then fine. Hope you like it, but I have shot a bunch and while some of the cheaper ones will still be reliable you will never know the appeal of a higher end firearm until you really shoot one... in fact next time you arm in a gun store, find the cheapest shotgun they have there, pick it up and try to pull up quick on a target on the ceiling....

Then, find a comparable higher end shotgun of the same dimensions in the store and do the same thing... they are simply made better, feel better, but do the same exact job.
__________________
A.K.A - Copejunkie

ZzNU|gHub|mizVPpIlnw

ba0c6bd47ccbfd90d8e81ee92406586a [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:29 PM Copejunkie is offline  
Reply With Quote
#44  

Pudah
 
Pudah's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copejunkie View Post
Honestly I don't see the good deal in this... a much better (used, yes! older? yes!) pistol could could have been had for around the same price.

I can be quoted on my dislikes for Glocks (but I have always said they are damn fine shooting guns, and well proven guns) a month ago I picked up a second generation Glock 22 (with trigger safety) with three mags, case, 50rds of 180g .40, brush and speedloader for $325. Is it an older gun? yes. Does it shoot good? Yes... and it's a Glock, and I've put at least 500 rounds through it so far of the cheapest ammo I can buy, and haven't had an issue.

A cheap pistol is a cheap pistol... If thats what you want, then fine. Hope you like it, but I have shot a bunch and while some of the cheaper ones will still be reliable you will never know the appeal of a higher end firearm until you really shoot one... in fact next time you arm in a gun store, find the cheapest shotgun they have there, pick it up and try to pull up quick on a target on the ceiling....

Then, find a comparable higher end shotgun of the same dimensions in the store and do the same thing... they are simply made better, feel better, but do the same exact job.

Everyone keeps saying "for the same price you can get..." and then drops "for $3xx". The last time I checked $325 or $350 isnt the same as $125. I guess it's close when comparing thousands of dollars, but not so much when someone only wants to spend $150. They could get 2 new hi-points for the price of that one used glock, and $325 is a pretty good deal for a glock while the OP overpaid for his Hi-Point. If someone is hesitant to get into the handgun market and can be coaxed in for $125-150 for a gun with an unlimited warranty that is actually pretty decent vs not spending anything and not getting any gun because $300+ is too much to spend (in their mind), then it's a good thing the HP guns exist, as it opens the door to that person. It did to me, and I moved up when I became more comfortable, and the HP was an excellent starter. Oddly enough I moved up to glock, which I'd always thought I would loathe, but I found myself shooting a lot more, learning what I actually wanted & liked, and learned glock was good for me, and I saved up and traded up. Had I not gotten the hi-point that wouldn't have happened.

It is also not fair to compare a pistol to a shotgun. Yes a reliable shotgun can be had for pretty cheap, and it will do a hell of a good job for home defense, but some people are not comfortable using or having long guns around. They are also harder to hide and make safe (in some cases). If someone decided they want a pistol, it is a waste of time to argue that they should instead get a shotgun.

Yes there is something to be said for the idea that you could save the HP money and apply it to a nicer pistol and probably a shotgun anyway, but for some people there isn't that incentive to save for it if they arent sure how much they want it anyway, and getting a foot in the door for very little helps them to decide one way or the other.
__________________
__ |7 (_) [) /\ |-| __

Founding [M]ember of the Blizzard in my sig club.
Blizzard Entertainment
131 Theory
Irvine, CA 92612
Old 12-08-2010, 07:41 PM Pudah is offline  
Reply With Quote
#45  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:55 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.