General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

godofcheese

Ok, this thread got weird.

What about a Norinco? Those are great guns surprisingly. Yes they are made in China, but a ton of custom gun makers back in the day used those as their base as the metal used in them is apparently great. The one in the picture above shoots just fine and its stock.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=208439320

There is one for under $400.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

OkieOFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofcheese View Post
Ok, this thread got weird.

What about a Norinco? Those are great guns surprisingly. Yes they are made in China, but a ton of custom gun makers back in the day used those as their base as the metal used in them is apparently great. The one in the picture above shoots just fine and its stock.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=208439320

There is one for under $400.

Weird how? Was just making a point that if a real life cartel-bustin' gunslinger can stand behind a RIA 1911 then i'd value his opinion more than that of a range renting mall ninja.

endscape

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieOFT View Post
Weird how? Was just making a point that if a real life cartel-bustin' gunslinger can stand behind a RIA 1911 then i'd value his opinion more than that of a range renting mall ninja.

Mall ninja I ain't, but point taken. Did some more reading and it looks like rra is better than I gave them credit for. I like mine, they are certainly a solid gun, but the fit and finish isn't as good as it could be. I had to take mine down and do a fluff and buff basically, to get it to be super smooth. It stays very faithful to the original design, not that that's a bad thing. That said, I've never daily carried mine, I stick with my glock 26 for that. Next 1911 is probably going to be an Ed Brown custom, but that's for another thread haha.

So yeah, functionality is top notch, fit and finish leaves something to be desired, at least on mine.

OkieOFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by endscape View Post
Mall ninja I ain't, but point taken. Did some more reading and it looks like rra is better than I gave them credit for. I like mine, they are certainly a solid gun, but the fit and finish isn't as good as it could be. I had to take mine down and do a fluff and buff basically, to get it to be super smooth. It stays very faithful to the original design, not that that's a bad thing. That said, I've never daily carried mine, I stick with my glock 26 for that. Next 1911 is probably going to be an Ed Brown custom, but that's for another thread haha.

So yeah, functionality is top notch, fit and finish leaves something to be desired, at least on mine.

Yep, a custom Wilson Combat or Ed Brown would be nice, but for a good everyday mans shooter you can't beat the RIA. When I see people dogging cheap but awesomely reliable and accurate weapons, I can't help but think of this:

By the way, my wifes grandpa has a $3000 Wilson Combat custom 1911...We went shooting one day and I put a couple mags through it. That thing jammed like three times per mag. Was clean as a whistle. I couldn't WAIT to get back to shooting my RIA.

irvinebenjamin80

LOL! Isn't that the way with so much advice on here?
Really, any time you can find one that follows on the original specification, you're going to be doing all right. I'll be honest that I'm not sure I'd want to use a 1911 that was compact enough to lend itself to concealed carry, though, because most of the recoil is going to be transferred to your hand & wrist when they're small enough for that. The .45 ACP (I assume you want one in .45?) is no small handgun round.
I haven't seen one for sale in a while, but you might also want to take a look at any Colt 1908s or clones thereof. The only difference between them and the 1911 is that Colt added a safety in the grip at the Army's specific requirement. Otherwise, it's the exact same gun.
Other than that, I suggest that you stick with single-stack versions. You'll have fewer rounds that way, but it'll be much smaller for concealment (if you're still going for that) and the added weight of the rounds will fell a lot less over time.

irvinebenjamin80

Online, I mean. Sorry, if someone took that for the way I just realized it sounds.